Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-07, 03:41 PM   #1
bubbafranks
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Which boat would you keep???

I bought a boat 2 weeks ago. a friend needed some help and gave me a good deal in return. I never fished from it but he liked it a lot.

Then, I inherited a boat this week.

Now I have a boat in the driveway and one I need to pick up and also put somewhere. I want to sell one. Don't want to have to fish and drive both to decide, just too inconvenient.

I Need Help. Which would you keep? Sell?

I intend to mostly fish lakes with no specific engine requirements and don't tend to fish if the weathers bad. The two boats are

1998 Basstracker Proteam 17.5' 2003 Mercury 75hp 2 stroke oil injection.

1985 Ranger 372V 17.5' 1990 Evinrude 150hp V6 2 stroke oil injection.

Both boats are in nice shape. I know most of the history on both boats. They both have tilt/trim, good trolling mtr, live well, electronics, good trailers etc. The ranger has a second console, wider beam and is made of fiberglass. The basstracker is aluminum.

I would love some opinions and/or good or bad experiences with these motors or boats. THANKS!}}
bubbafranks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-07, 05:10 PM   #2
dampeoples
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to dampeoples

I'd keep the bass tracker in a heartbeat

1 - Low maintnance on hull
2 - less expense pulling and running
3 - It's 13 years newer, 18 for the motor
4 - Evinrude who? (I've run them, good motors, but who knows if OMC will continue to stock parts, etc)
dampeoples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-07, 05:41 PM   #3
betursweetbass
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

In this case, I would keep the one that was given to you and sell the one you bought at a good price, you could wind up making a little cash from the deal.

You could sell either, it really don't matter, you win either way it seems.

betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-07, 09:02 PM   #4
texasbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

pick the one you want and ill take the other one off your hands Nah, I would keep the bass tracker if i were you..
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-07, 09:08 PM   #5
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

What type of water do you normally fish? If it's bigger water, than I'd keep the Ranger, if it's more smaller lakes ponds, then the Bass Tracker would be my choice. The Ranger is gonna get you there faster, and with less bumping, plus a much more stable platform to fish from. The Basstracker is less expspensive to run, will handle fine for smaller waters, and will get you into more skinny places. It depends on where and how you fish more IMO.

Lizards
Old 03-31-07, 05:33 AM   #6
1FASTLASER

If it is at all possible I would keep both because both boats would serve in the same waters but as well both boats would have there time and place where they would shine.
Old 03-31-07, 09:08 AM   #7
Recon8541
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have an 85 tracker tx with a 60 merc. I have run big water, small water, and every water inbetween, with moderate maint they are reliable and great boats. I never had a ranger, but I wouldnt sell my tracker to get one.
Old 03-31-07, 09:15 PM   #8
HOG Ranger

Obviously I have a biased opinion but if you fish on decent size lakes I would keep the Ranger.

I think the type of water you normally fish will have a huge impact. The glass boats handle much better in windy conditions but obviously the tracker is newer and has a more efficient engine. Tough decision but one where you really win/win.
Old 03-31-07, 09:17 PM   #9
commanche

Default which boat

i would sell both and most likely get a new triton 17 ft with a 90 merc..
nothing wrong with either boat ,only i rode in triton and storage etc ..that 17 ft triton flew up thru raystown dam here in pa. and was smoother than my nitro 17 ft..

plus new 4 cycle engines are real quiet and not stinky but are heavier...
commanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-07, 07:19 PM   #10
jbfisher
BassFishin.Com Member

Id keep the one that you inherited and sale the other one. If not, I'd sell both of them and buy a newer model triton, stratos, or javelin.
jbfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-07, 11:18 PM   #11
Jolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule View Post
What type of water do you normally fish? If it's bigger water, than I'd keep the Ranger, if it's more smaller lakes ponds, then the Bass Tracker would be my choice. The Ranger is gonna get you there faster, and with less bumping, plus a much more stable platform to fish from. The Basstracker is less expspensive to run, will handle fine for smaller waters, and will get you into more skinny places. It depends on where and how you fish more IMO.

Lizards
I can't make a post because Lizard always seems to have said what I was wanting to say!! I guess all I can do is say,"What he said!!"

Jolly
Old 04-11-07, 08:32 AM   #12
BLWeng

Send a message via AIM to BLWeng

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTLASER View Post
If it is at all possible I would keep both because both boats would serve in the same waters but as well both boats would have there time and place where they would shine.

I would have to agree with laser. Glass boats are nice, but the aluminum boats are much easier in smaller boat landings and can get places in the lakes/rivers that bigger glass boats can't get too. If possible, keep both boats. But if you have to get rid of one, and with the info that you stated, you would probably benefit from the aluminum boat better. Maybe switch motors and keep the newer motor.
Old 04-13-07, 12:09 AM   #13
elite64a
BassFishin.Com Member

IMO I would keep the tracker easier to maintain, cheaper to operate, easier on the truck to pull, still fishes good compared to the glass, and its probally faster than the older evinrude due to lack of weight and new technology. 1 more thing OMC's dont tend to last as long as the other IMO
elite64a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-07, 12:09 AM   #14
bubbafranks
BassFishin.Com Member

Default I chose a boat!

Thanks for all of your input. Although there were pros and cons for each boat, the bottom line for me came to capacity. The Tracker is rated up to 485 lbs people and gear and with the max size motor, 2 big guys was pushing it, 2 big guys and a kid was too much. Ranger capacity is 750 lbs.

Thx again.
bubbafranks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-07, 02:15 PM   #15
Jackl

Sounds to me like you have two boats at a very minimal price. Why not keep both of them and fish out of both for a season on all kind of water and weather, then decide for yourself which one meets your needs best.
I am somewhat in agreement with LAZER about keeping both. I once owned a Tracker TX-17 and sold it to buy a Ranger. I love the Ranger, but there are times when I am fishing smaller lakes and wish I still had the Tracker.

JackL

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.