Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-07, 10:02 AM   #1
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Deal or No Deal?

Hi Everyone, this is my first post in here. I've been fishing cold water since I was 4 and have recently (3 years) moved to Bass fishing. I absolutely love it..I think I was hooked when I witnessed a smallie launch out of the water at a popper that I was attempting to use correctly, you'll never see a salmon do that! Anywyay, the reason for my post is that I am in the midst of purchasing an 18' 1989 Tracker Tournament 1800 tf w/1990 EvinrudeXP 150hp. Everything is in near mint condition and has low hours and has almost every moving part replaced in the last 3 years. I've been trying to find out more details about the boat, but can't find much for reviews. Does anyone have any experience with this rig? If so, what's your take on it? Is it a deal at $4,000, my spending limit is around 5,000 or should I look elsewhere (I've been looking for over a year now) I've owned a deep V hull 20' ski boat in the past, but this will be an altogether new experience. Any help would be great
jasonfish320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-07, 10:31 AM   #2
K-Driz
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to K-Driz

The aluminum boats are nearly impossible to destroy and are easy to fix if a rivet pops out or if a crack on the hull arises. Most of the price on this boat is probably due to it having a 150hp motor, which should make the boat scoot along quite quickly. The most important thing is getting from point A to B and back. So, as long as the motor is in good working condition, then it sounds like a good deal to me. Ask the seller if you can test drive the boat, and make sure to get to the lake before the seller so that you can see how the engine operates from a cold start. It's a real B when boats are tough to start. Hope that helps some. Good luck on whatever you decide!
K-Driz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-07, 10:40 PM   #3
Fisher Dan
BassFishin.Com Member

Don't sound to bad to me either.... Tracker makes a good boat.
Fisher Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-07, 08:29 AM   #4
FlyRod
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I dunno. An eighteen year-old tin boat with a seventeen year-old gas guzzler on it...4000 bux? Plus, Trackers of that era were not terribly well made, based on info I've gleaned over the ensuing years. I'd sure as heck put in the drain plug and pump a few gallons of water into her to check for leaks.
Also, what is the condition of the trailer? They were bottom-drawer at best, to start with, and eighteen years of use (See: Rust, cracked welds, etc) can be rather wearing.
Have you driven the boat? I'd imagine that it would be kinda squirrelly with that much horsepower AND weight on the transom. Hope you attach the kill switch to yourself AND don your PFD BEFORE you turn the key.
How's the trollmotor? Is it a 24V? Y'see. tin boats are very susceptible to wind when in fishing mode. You'll get blown off-target far more easily than in a glass boat of comparable size and freeboard.
Further, tin boats, especially given the narrower beam and bottom width, are tippy as H---, especially if you stand while fishing...can be dangerous. They do NOT handle rough water too well either. In fact, they'll generally beat you to death.
I hate to rain on your parade, Jason, but I have some serious doubts.
Were I you, I'd be on the lookout for a well-maintained (ask for records) 17.5 to 18.5 glassie with the proper horsepower v. hull rating, maybe ten years old, and have it checked out, bow light to prop, by a qualified tech. If it passes muster, then do a check ride. Ask an experienced bassboater to drive the rig as well.
Many manufacturers have gone outta biz in recent years, including some that made damned good boats. Since a boat of the age we are discussing would be out of warranty anyway, that really doesn't matter. You might look around for one of the following:
Cajun
Cobra (Viper)
Hydra-Sports (They still make boats, just not bass rigs.)
Sprint
BumbleBee (quick boats)
Aries (ditto)
Astro (Related to ProCraft)
Javelin (Stratos related, great boats)
and several others.
Usually, a boat no longer manufactured will sell for less than one of the same age and condition from an existing builder.
You might go to BBC (BassBoatCentral.com) and check their "for sale" listings. Also, there are forums on BBC for individual brand owners who can help you in your search and are happy to do so. There's even a forum for Tin Boats.
Read and heed: Do not, repeat, NOT, buy one of the old OMC engines with "FICHT" technology. FICHT = Timebomb.
I realize this new approach may set you back a bit more than 4000 clams, but the "right" boat is worth waiting and saving for.
I expect we'll soon hear howls of outrage from some of the loyal "tinners" here, and that's OK. But, I know what I know from years of experience.
I've no intent to rile anyone, but if you buy the Tracker and discover you made a mistake, then you are further from your goal than when you began.

Good luck, and do your research before you buy.

FR
PS: Linky...
http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/

See "Boats for sale" on left. And/or scroll down to various boat mfg. forums and/or motor maker forums.

Last edited by FlyRod; 04-15-07 at 09:54 AM.
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-07, 04:09 PM   #5
HOG Ranger

If I am not mistaken, this is a glass boat and that is a fair price. Do make sure you check the trailer because they made them from materials that were not strong enough IMO.
Old 04-15-07, 05:06 PM   #6
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOG Ranger View Post
If I am not mistaken, this is a glass boat and that is a fair price. Do make sure you check the trailer because they made them from materials that were not strong enough IMO.
Hoggy,

If you're right about it being a glassie (that far back?) then that's good news IF the boat, motor, and trailer all check out.
If it IS a glass boat of that vintage, then it was probably made with wood in the transom and stringers and THAT is a concern, given the age and poor general reputation of the brand. Our friend Jason must be certain that there is no evidence of rot, cracking, or other issues, right?
I still have doubts, but this may just be a good deal that will get our friend on the water.

FR
Old 04-15-07, 08:31 PM   #7
HOG Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyRod View Post
Hoggy,

If you're right about it being a glassie (that far back?) then that's good news IF the boat, motor, and trailer all check out.
If it IS a glass boat of that vintage, then it was probably made with wood in the transom and stringers and THAT is a concern, given the age and poor general reputation of the brand. Our friend Jason must be certain that there is no evidence of rot, cracking, or other issues, right?
I still have doubts, but this may just be a good deal that will get our friend on the water.

FR
Exactly, everything would have to be in good to very good condition considering the age of the boat. I had a similar boat and the trailer rear "V" frame broke. I had to have it welded and to be honest I was not at all impressed with the quality of the tracker trailers.

I think the key is how it was stored. If it was stored outdoors for numerous years chances are there are some things rotted.
Old 04-16-07, 01:45 AM   #8
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOG Ranger View Post
Exactly, everything would have to be in good to very good condition considering the age of the boat. I had a similar boat and the trailer rear "V" frame broke. I had to have it welded and to be honest I was not at all impressed with the quality of the tracker trailers.

I think the key is how it was stored. If it was stored outdoors for numerous years chances are there are some things rotted.
...or rained in, caught a lot of over-the-transom backwash, run through the carwash and not properly drained, etc. I'm leery of this one, but I'd rather disillusion (temporarily, I hope) our new friend than risk him being had.

FR
Old 04-17-07, 11:13 AM   #9
jasonfish320

Default Great Info!

Hey guys, thanks for all the info, but yes it is fiberglass and from most of the photos it seems to be in great conidition. The trailer is custom built for the boat and was made by "fastload" in 1993. I am attaching a photo sent from the owner, this is from last season before he had it winterized for the year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat1.jpg
Views:	3960
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	1618  
Old 04-17-07, 03:43 PM   #10
HOG Ranger

From the looks of that photo I would say the boat has been well taken care of.
Old 04-18-07, 10:26 AM   #11
betursweetbass

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

Sounds fair to me, I sold my 89 Skeeter Starfire 175 for 4500.00 and both the buyer and myself where happy. Did you mention a test drive was possible? That would sure set your mind at ease.
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-07, 10:53 AM   #12
jasonfish320

Well, I took the chance and am happy with my decision. The boat and motor are in near perfect condition. I will have to attach some photos later. In the meantime I have a question about the fuel mixture, the tank size is 27 gallons and the engine is 150hp XP and had an oil pump, which has been removed. The owner I purchased the boat from recommended one pint of oil for every 6 gallons of gas. For some reason this sounds like a rich mix, what do you guys think?
Old 04-24-07, 11:11 AM   #13
bassbooger

That sounds about right. My motor is a 50/1 mix and when you put that in a fuel/oil calculator it comes out right at 8 oz. per 3 gallons, so 1 pint to 6 gallons sound perfect to me.

Check this calculator out. http://www.brokeboats.com/ratio.html

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.