Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-07, 11:31 AM   #1
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Taking on water

Hey Guys, I took my boat out yesterday for the first time and everything ran and worked, except for the bilge pumps..(I'll be working on that tonight) This is my first bass boat (18ft 1989 Tracker fiberglass 1800tf w/150hp xp) The engine ran great with zero problems and about 90% of the controls and gadgets work without problem. However when I got it back on the trailer and pulled the plug I had more water than expected..about 1/2 gallon or so, drained in about 20 seconds. I was only on the water for roughly 2 hours. Do you believe this is water coming back over the transom or is something else going on here? I have to admit I toook it a little easy at first and had the boat standing right up on end before I figured out more throttle really helps the situation. Also notices some water coming over when I slowed down quickly from the wake. I'm sure if I get those bilge pumps working right it will really take care of the problem..but in the long run I'm psyched about how the boat handled..super fast and with the new hydraulic steering it's absolutely sweet! I'm going to try to get it back in tonight or tomorrow and get a gps reading on the mph, but I'm thinking somewhere around 60-65..any thoughts on the water intake and bilge pumps would be great...thanks!
jasonfish320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-07, 04:06 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

well...i would say that chances are, the water came over the splash well when you stopped quickly. if it were only a half a gallon then that is nothing to worry about. in fact an automatic bilge pump probably wouldn't even kick on with only a half a gallon of water in it. congrats on the boat and just fish the living he!! out of it.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-07, 07:32 PM   #3
zooker

either back wash or a leaky aerator connection..-check this the hose tend to bang around and can /will break the hose coupler off..

zooker
Old 04-25-07, 09:39 PM   #4
OUTLAW
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I Agree with Carolina-Rig-01,
It doesnt take much for a half gallon to get in the boat,When ya slow down,dont do it too fast,gradually slow down,Or your own wake will push water in the boat.
By the way,Thats a hot boat!! Dont HotRod too much.I think it was a good deal. And good luck!!!!
OUTLAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-07, 09:40 PM   #5
bassnman30
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Water in boat

Had a aerator tube that broke. I took it up to D&E and they fixed it. They had to dig into the bottum and replace the "L" shaped tube.
Before they fixed it the bilge would pump alot of water.
Now no water comes out, I can pull my plug and rarely get any water.
Old 04-25-07, 10:13 PM   #6
zooker

yeah i busted mine at the L also hit a dam pot hole..

was 1/2 way down harris when it got a touch moist on the floor..

zooker
Old 04-26-07, 09:56 AM   #7
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Last night I took a drop light and placed it inside the tank/battery compartment near the transom and shut the lights out in my garage in order to see if there were any holes or cracks, to my surprise there was only one small piece of rubber about 2 inches long missing from the seam and this was the only spot the light shined through, bought some clear marine sealant and patched it up, should be all set in 24 hours. On another note, what do you guys use to clean your livewells? I figured a non-toxic cleaner would be best so I picked up some simple green.
jasonfish320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-07, 12:54 PM   #8
zooker

live wells do get funky..i use simple green also it works.

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.