Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-07, 03:02 PM   #1
McGunner
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Rust on Trailer Wheels

I bought a brand new Tracker PT175 from Bass Pro in July of 2005 and had it on the water a whopping 3 1/2 hours before winterizing it and getting deployed overseas and there it sat on a concrete slab under a cover beneath a metal carport for the duration. Now I'm home, winter is here and the wheels are rusted.

When I bought the boat/outboard/trailer package at Bass Pro it came with the chrome wheels that are standard with the trailer. One of the wheels is rusted pretty badly and the other is just starting to rust around the edges of the rim. I e-mailed Bass Pro a few weeks ago to see if my warranty that I purchased at the time of the sale would cover this and they said that while they could understand my frustration given the lack of time in the water, they considered this to be a maintenance issue and not something that I can use my warranty for to replace the wheels for my $50 deductible.

So, my question is this; how do I remove the rust on the wheels? Like I said, one of them looks really bad and the other one is just starting to show signs of rust. I've tried several commercial wheel polishers, etc. and not had the desired results. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-28-07, 03:35 PM   #2
dampeoples
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to dampeoples

naval Jelly is used to remove rust, but will also remove the chrome, if i'm not mistaken,

Rust-O-Leum also made a product that turned rust into a black surface that's sandable and paintable, not real sure if it's still available or not.

About your only other option is a wirebrush/wheel on a drill and go at it. Depending on the amount of rust, it might benefit you to get a new set. I would definately look up powder-coaters in your area, and see the cost of getting them refinished vs. a new set.

In the future - and once you get them refinished/replaced - wax, wax, wax some more. When you get done with that, put another coat on, and do it frequently, only takes a minute, and you'll avoid this!
dampeoples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-07, 04:39 PM   #3
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I used Autosol and neverdull

keep in mind that chrome is a layer that is dipped on existing coldroll or aluminum wheels and a grinding wheel will take it right off.
You can use a grinding wheel on any wheel that is being repainted, however removing rust on chrome with an abrasive wheel will leave scratches and pull the old crome right off..
Autosol is #1 in polish and some removal, Never dull has been around since I was a kid, and I've always had a can of the cotton like applicater/with wax around the garage...it is easy to find in any autoparts store or probably walmart.
I've seen guys coat thier wheels in grease for storing to avoid chrome rust/pitting.
Even my motorcycles get pitted rust if I put them up for the 4 months of winter. never dull usually brings it back, and shines really well..and is as easy a product to apply , let dry, and remove with a soft cotton towel.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-07, 07:50 PM   #4
ddc_5114
BassFishin.Com Member

Neverdull Shouldtake It Right Off.....if Not, Rub Some Coca-cola On It Using A Piece Of Foil. (the Myth Busters Said It Would Work)
ddc_5114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-07, 12:23 AM   #5
Jackl
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

McGUNNER,
Try a can of Turtle Wax Chrome Cleaner. That is the best thing I have found for removing rust from older car bumpers. It will take a lot of good old fashioned elbow grease. Then keep a good coat of Paste vehicle wax on the wheels every time you get home from the lake. The other option is to check around garage sales and flea markets for a set of aluminum wheels that will fit. You will have to check the wheel offset to make sure they do not rub your fenders.(I found that out the hard way)
JackL

Last edited by Jackl; 01-29-07 at 12:30 AM.
Jackl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-07, 10:03 PM   #6
abarker
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to abarker

When younger I had a set of chrome wheels on a vehicle that had some surface rust on them. I used a EXTREMELY wet brillo pad and got the rust off. Then put some polish on them. Worked well as long as the pad was real wet. If it gets dry it will scratch them more and ofcourse cause more rust.
Old 02-10-07, 08:36 AM   #7
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I used Autosol and neverdull

keep in mind that chrome is a layer that is dipped on existing coldroll or aluminum wheels and a grinding wheel will take it right off.
You can use a grinding wheel on any wheel that is being repainted, however removing rust on chrome with an abrasive wheel will leave scratches and pull the old crome right off..
Autosol is #1 in polish and some removal, Never dull has been around since I was a kid, and I've always had a can of the cotton like applicater/with wax around the garage...it is easy to find in any autoparts store or probably walmart.
I've seen guys coat thier wheels in grease for storing to avoid chrome rust/pitting.
Even my motorcycles get pitted rust if I put them up for the 4 months of winter. never dull usually brings it back, and shines really well..and is as easy a product to apply , let dry, and remove with a soft cotton towel.
Hey JB where y aget the autosol at. Inquiring minds want to know?????
Old 02-10-07, 09:02 AM   #8
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

laser, you're lucky, they just served biscuits n gravy to me here at work on the crane, I looked at the forum and saw your post,
try this link

link
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-07, 09:08 AM   #9
1FASTLASER

Thanks buddy!!!!!!!
Old 02-10-07, 05:43 PM   #10
commanche
BassFishin.Com Active Member

bar keepers friend, you can get it at dollar store for ,1.50 cents a can..after you get it real clean, spray your wheels with CLEAR LAQCAUR in spray can you can get from auto stores..

if you did this befoe you used boat, they would be alright..not your fault, i also learned this on my own..i have tracker with painted wheeels, every 2 years i get them sand blasted then i repaint them with white auto piant, lasts 2 years or so..

hope this helps..
commanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-07, 03:41 AM   #11
McGunner
BassFishin.Com Member

I just wanted to thank everyone for their threads on this topic. I used some elbow grease, a couple of wet rags, a lightly abrasive pad, some water from a garden hose, more elbow grease, Nev-R-Dull and Barkeeper's Friend as suggested and it worked last weekend.

It took me about an hour and a half to clean the surface rust off the wheels and they look almost good as new.

I just wanted to thank everyone for their help in saving me from having to buy a new set of wheels.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.