Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-07, 08:30 PM   #1
Bass'n'cast
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default What to get at BASS PRO SHOPS

Hey i'm going to bass pro shops tomorrow on the way to the White Sox game and i was looking for some input as to what i need to get. I fish two types of water usually. larger ponds/small lakes and small farm pods. the visibilty for the large pond/small lake is 1.5- 3 ft clarity with lilly pads and weed cover and the small pond is 1.5-2.5 water clarity with sparse vegitation. so with that info what lures and color should i be looking for ? thanks alot guys for any advice. o and i'm in northern indiana.
Bass'n'cast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-07, 08:06 AM   #2
Bass'n'cast

two hours till i leave come on anyone...
Old 07-08-07, 08:33 AM   #3
FlyRod
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass'n'cast View Post
two hours till i leave come on anyone...
If you've not already got them...
Some Senkos (5") or Tiki Sticks (5"). In the Senkos, try the Watermelon/Pearl laminate. Tikis; Green Pumpkin/Chartreuse Swirl, Watermelon/Pepper, an maybe JuneBug.
T-rig, unweighted on a 3/0 EWG hook, cast, and let 'er sink. Repeat as needed. If not a lot of snags, wacky rig it on a 3/0 finesse/drop-shot type hook. No weight, same casting and sinking tactic. Bass most likely will attack on the initial fall.

Otherwise...Chartreuse/White 3/8 0z Spinnerbait, tandem silver willow leaf blades.
Also a White as above and, just maybe, a spinnerbait in Yellow/Black with Silver Colorado or Indiana blades.
Trim skirts neatly a little to avoid short strikes. By "little" I mean to where they will still conceal the hook bend and extend maybe 1/2" when streaming on retrieve.
A trailer hook will be good if you can avoid snags and the bass are short-striking.

Be safe! Enjoy the game, the beer, the hotdogs, and the babes.

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-07, 08:05 PM   #4
Bass'n'cast

thank you FlyRod i did wat u said funny enough the bass pro shop in portage indiana didn't carry tiki sticks.. he was like tiki worms wat is they... so i got 5" junebug there selection was slim they were getting another shipment in a few days, also i got a booyah 3/8 oz spinner with tandem willow leaf blades and some Mister Twisters grub 3" for a trailer. any advice on how to fish the booyah, do i fish it at weeds or flats. towards to shore or away? i usually use rooster tail inline spinners so i new to the spinnerbaits. thanks for the help.
Old 07-09-07, 06:50 AM   #5
FlyRod

Thumbs up

Quote:
thank you FlyRod i did wat u said...i got a booyah 3/8 oz spinner with tandem willow leaf blades and some Mister Twisters grub 3" for a trailer. any advice on how to fish the booyah, do i fish it at weeds or flats. towards to shore or away? i usually use rooster tail inline spinners so i new to the spinnerbaits. thanks for the help.
B'n'C,

Fish the Booyah (great choice, great product, BTW) anywhere. You will not have near the snag potential you had with the inline spinners.
You can thread it through brush and gaps in weeds and rock formations. You can "wake" it (the blades disturbing the surface) over weedbeds and other cover. You can let it drop from ledge to ledge. You can "count it down" to various depths before beginning your retrieve. You can "slow roll" it, with just enough speed to keep the blades turning.
The spinnerbait is an extremely versatile and effective lure.
If you use the grub as a trailer, then there are some tips to follow. One, be certain that you rig the grub so that the tail curls DOWN, like a dog tucking his tail between his legs. Two, trim the skirt, as I mentioned in my initial post. Otherwise, there may be insufficient water flow to activate the tail of the grub. Be sure to do some visual testing to assure all systems are "Go".
Learn to tune the lure so that the blades are ABOVE the lure body and that the lure does not roll on retrieve.
Lastly, you might want to trim a tiny bit off the nose of the grub before attaching it. This may lessen the likelihood of short strikes, but be certain that there is enough tail exposed to properly flutter as the lure is retrieved.
Assure that the grub is rigged straight in relation to the hook shank OR, perhaps better yet, very slight down so that more water flow can enhance tail action. SLIGHTLY, I said!
BTW, you can alleviate the problem of the grub slipping on the hook by doing the following; with the grub about halfway up the hook, add a TINY drop of super-glue to the shank, right at the front of the grub, then slide the grub firmly against the lure body. Repeat as needed.
CAUTION! Do NOT get any glue on the skirt!!! AND...It's best to remove the skirt and scrape glue residue off the hook and body between trips. Many lures employ a "rubber band" to secure the skirt and these often soften and fail if left in proximity to the plastic used in grubs. The glue may have an effect too. Not nice to get to the lake and find your skirt scattered in the box.

Good luck!

FR

PeeYess: You can toss the lure from, or toward, shore. One of the most effective tactic is to cast and retrieve PARALLEL to the shore line, especially if you have a series of "stepped" ledges. You can cast and retrieve along each ledge at a time, running the lure more deeply each time, until you find fish.
Old 07-10-07, 12:46 AM   #6
Rodman_Rob

Quote:
i was looking for some input as to what i need to get.
EVERYTHING

Can't wait for them to build a closer one.
Old 07-10-07, 08:38 AM   #7
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodman_Rob View Post
EVERYTHING

Can't wait for them to build a closer one.
Be careful what you wish for!
They built one ten minutes from my home and suffice it to say I've been there a lot. Worse yet, the bar in the restaurant there has a kick-a-- Happy Hour.
Amazingly, I've only attended that once and ate the 1/2 price appetizers instead of depleting the bourbon supply. I must be getting old.

FR

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.