Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-07, 10:25 PM   #1
Kawabuggy
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Fishing With Senkos-My Technique

I have never had much luck fishing Senkos weightless. In fact, prior to tonight, I had never caught a fish using a weightless Senko. Anyway, I had posted previously asking people how they fished them so that I could learn.

Here is what I figured out.. And what might work for others. I would cast out, and the let the Senko sink all the way to the bottom. I would let it sit there perfectly still for about 10 seconds. Never got a bite on the fall, or just sitting. After sitting for a while, I would S*L*O*W*L*Y crawl the worm across the bottom. When I say slow, I mean 2-3 inches in 5-10 seconds. Occasionally I would stop the bait and give it some slack just to make sure that it was staying in contact with the bottom. Since I was casting across a creek, I knew to take it slow so that it would stay in contact with the "V" bottom as I brought it back to me. Anyway, people told me to watch for a "spongy" or heavy feeling. I never got that. Instead, as I would be moving it, I would feel a solid "tap" when the fish bit. Not "tap, tap, tap" like you get with a weighted worm. Just one solid tap. At first, I would stop reeling when I felt the tap and then wait to see what happened. Well, every time I stopped, the fish must have spit it out and moved on because I never caught one that way.

I then modified my strategy and when I felt the tap while I was reeling, I would simply reel the line tighter very quickly and if I felt something on the line, I would set the hook. This seemed to work very well as I began hooking up.

The dead-stick method, or sitting still was not working for me tonight. They wanted it moving. I never got a bite when the bait was sitting-unless of course I was missing the bites.

I hope this is of use to someone. Good night! I went out multiple times recently and caught nothing. Tonight, I caught 5 in under 2 hours. Nothing big, but it sure feels good to bring them in like that.
Kawabuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-07, 04:23 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

The small taps oyu might feel and then nothing there could be other fish such as bluegills. That happens to me a lot.
Old 10-02-07, 09:53 PM   #3
Kawabuggy
BassFishin.Com Member

Yeah, I one of the ones I caught was just an inch or so longer than my Senko. I was amazed at his tenacity! He really wanted that worm!
Kawabuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-07, 12:45 AM   #4
WallStreetAmigo
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I don't know what it is about senkos but little bass love them too! Almost every time I use one I get a bass that is barely bigger than the senko. I unhook him, tell him he deserved what he got for being a pig and trying to eat something as big as himself, and then let him go (of course I remind him to find me again when he's over five pounds!).
WallStreetAmigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-07, 08:11 PM   #5
elite64a
BassFishin.Com Member

I always seem to get a tap tap at least every now and then its one solid tap. Ya the blue gills love senkos too. I have had many upon many of bluegills try the senko. It get very irratating at time. Another fish that love senkos are chain pickeral. I always seem to catch at least one with a senko but usually when I'm reeling it and working it back in
elite64a is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.