Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-06, 09:59 PM   #1
getdnet
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Nitro boats

Hello everyone.

I'm new here and so far I think you have a great site.

I am thinking about trading my boat in on a used 97 Nitro 883 Savage with a Mariner 150 efi H.O. Is there any bad thing I should be looking out for and how do these handle etc?
Thanks in advance.
getdnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-06, 01:09 PM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

of all of the nitro's i refuse to fish from the savage is not on that list. belive it or not savage boats were bought in the late 90's by nitro they are a stable plat form having fish from several of them. with a 150 merc/mariner you will be running in the high 50's mph. they do not have the 60mph handlin issues of the new nitro's..

zooker
Old 11-09-06, 06:40 PM   #3
Dan_T
BassFishin.Com Member

I run a 2004 Nitro 901 with a 200 EFI. I run at 70 mph GPS. This is the first time I have heard of any handling issues with Nitros at high speeds. What issues have you heard? Mine handles like a dream at that speed 0 chine walk, great response, and dry ride.
Dan_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-06, 07:53 PM   #4
ToPwAt'R GuY
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Ive always heard that they handle very well.
ToPwAt'R GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-06, 08:13 PM   #5
zooker

nitro' s breaking 60mph gps tend to have a funky handlin problem most have it some do not. it is cause imo from the transome design. the chin walk goes from bad to really bad.. i have been in nitro's running 60+ suddenly go hard to the right without the driver turning the wheel.. almost to the point of a "bat turn" that is seen in more often in boat going much faster..

i recently watched a 9 series nitro hit a wave and catch air upon landing it bat turned on the driver. throwing 3 rods/reels in the water and a loaded plano box was chunked 150 yards- like a projectile- into the water. the vetern driver-i know who it was- was about sittin ON the windsheild. he sat in the bottom of his boat chain smoking for several mintues.

when they do this "bat turn" they almost always break something. my buddy bent his jack plate 3+inches. i have seen tilt/trim units bent too pretzels an hyroilic sterring systems totally destroyed from bat turns.

the nitro savage boat being the ONLY nitro i will ever fish from..fish from what ya want. i will not fish or even waste my time getting in a nitro.

zooker

Last edited by zooker; 11-09-06 at 08:19 PM.
zooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-06, 01:57 PM   #6
garry_3000
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I fished in an State team turny and the guy i fished with had an 929with 275 verodo toped out at 73mph and it was an nice ride we stayed dry but my skeeter zx 250 with yamaha 250 runs 77 on gps and has smoother ride at top end speeds
garry_3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-06, 03:03 PM   #7
Dan_T
BassFishin.Com Member

I think the 929's (which I think is a very good boat) has a little bit rougher ride maybe because of the weight I don't know. I have heard the new Z9s have an awesome ride. Check out this video of KVD running one of the new Z9's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V6aHnX_ISs

I'm curious Zooker what do you run?
Dan_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-06, 05:08 PM   #8
zooker

stratos

check this boat ride out. watch as an xr ally shows ya what HOLE SHOT means.-first moving boat near the dock.
http://home.comcast.net/~corywurst/jasper05.wmv
the blue and yellow stroker does 108 gps. i am a member of the website where most of these guys in this video can be found as laser knows-he is the one that gave it to me- going fast is a matter of how much money you got to burn.

zooker

Last edited by zooker; 11-10-06 at 05:28 PM.
zooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-06, 02:30 PM   #9
st.croixman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to st.croixman

ok guys i have to say that is absalutley f-ing retarded god i would love to have that boat im so so so scared of that and kvd uses nitros so they must be good too.
Old 11-11-06, 09:25 PM   #10
bassintom
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

i have seen that video before but it was worth checking out that hole shot.that has to be the wildest HS i ever saw.
Old 11-11-06, 09:37 PM   #11
zooker

yeah you posted it 3 months ago i had to go find it.

that is a typical xr hole shot the whole boat don't weigh 1000 pounds inculding the moter.

st croix
kurt has the merc 300 x tweaked a bit runs at 8000 rpms -it aint stock by no means- but the boat is a production stroker boat average price $45k

zooker
Old 11-12-06, 12:06 PM   #12
Bo Dale James Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Where's the Kaboom???
http://www.nonstick.com/sounds/Marvi...n/ltmm_005.wav
Old 11-12-06, 12:17 PM   #13
Christopherkeene9

WOW!! That vid is AWESOME zook!
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-06, 06:26 PM   #14
PowerBass

Man when it starts to chine walk, i would have crapped the pants for sure. Still would have loved to be on there!
Old 11-13-06, 10:45 AM   #15
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post

the nitro savage boat being the ONLY nitro i will ever fish from..fish from what ya want. i will not fish or even waste my time getting in a nitro.

zooker
I'll be sure and tell Reb he'd be wasting his time inviting you to Texas for a tad of angling, Snooker, 'cause you'd refuse to board HIS Nitro.
Something tells me, (just a hunch,) that if someone offered you a new 'Tro, free of charge, with the proviso that you keep it an fish from it, well...
Yep, there goes Old Zooksquatch in his new NITRO!
At least we Texans are safe 'til I win the Lotto and order the new BassCat (Puma Widebody or Pantera IV.) Then you are welcome to come on dowwwwnnnnn!

Bat turns? Hell, bats do them all the time! If bat turns are good enough for Dracula they're good enough for me!

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-06, 03:09 PM   #16
zooker

panteraIV the way to go..it's faster

zooker
Old 11-20-06, 12:28 AM   #17
fishin fool
BassFishin.Com Member

The only reason you see KVD in a Nitro is the paycheck Johnny Morris gives him. 5 years down the road if you use that Nitro much no better quality than they are it'll be ready to fall apart inside.
fishin fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-06, 09:16 AM   #18
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
stratos

check this boat ride out. watch as an xr ally shows ya what HOLE SHOT means.-first moving boat near the dock.
http://home.comcast.net/~corywurst/jasper05.wmv
the blue and yellow stroker does 108 gps. i am a member of the website where most of these guys in this video can be found as laser knows-he is the one that gave it to me- going fast is a matter of how much money you got to burn.

zooker
Damn it!!!!!! Everytime I look at that vid I get a WOODY. Just you wait my VERY good friend ZOOK. I know the Laser has taken a while to build but rome wasnt built in day. Hell I'll even toss ya the keys and let you let her rip. Now mind you I wouldnt let just ANYONE run her. I feel like March of '07 is gonna be the maiden voyage for the Laser project. All ready puttin back funds for you and me's get together. As time gets on we will have to make the arrangements of where and when.
Old 11-23-06, 09:19 AM   #19
1FASTLASER

Hey who knows I might even be building them thar Cats VERY soon. Got my application in and a good friend of mine works ther. Anyway Ifn I was gonna buy a new cat I would go for the Cougar FTD. That boat is awsome. Runs very well and handles like a dream. But as usual Zook be right. The PanIV is there fastest hull when setup correctly.
Old 11-23-06, 09:37 PM   #20
zooker

actually laser i am looking at 18 boats for my next one.. the sabre should fill that bill..

i like 18 foot as it is more agile to get in odd angles than a 20 footer -i do get in some weird angles to catch fish..

zooker
Old 11-27-06, 07:19 AM   #21
1FASTLASER

That sabre with a good ole 150 black mota hangin on the rear will give you a ride that causes insane laughter. Rode in a sabre with a correctly set up motor and she was a dream. Excellant on plane time,quick and agile like a cat and fished like boats much bigger. Ole buddy definatley do not be afraid of the cat boats. At the present time they are working on a new hull design that definatley should up sales on the mid legnth cats. Faster on plane time and no loss in WOT speeds. Hopefully they can fine tune the hull and get her into production.
Old 11-27-06, 06:36 PM   #22
zooker

old friend you and i agree on alot but when it come to moter pushing MY boat it aint going to be a pos merc PERIOD!!!

zooker
Old 11-27-06, 09:37 PM   #23
1FASTLASER

Damn and I thought I could convert ya. Hell that dont make ya a bad person cause ya dont like black motors. Oh well I tried.
Old 12-21-06, 03:23 PM   #24
mymomisbecky
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have a 95 Nitro DC 190 with a 150hp merc EFI. And quite frankly I LOVE IT. I can get it over 60 no problem, with no control issues at all. Fishes great. Huge decks, plenty of storage.
I flat out love my nitro.
mymomisbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-06, 05:21 PM   #25
1FASTLASER

I CANT TAKE THIS ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!! One more time of watching that vid and I WILL BUY A BULLET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Talk about a perpetual woody.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.