Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-10, 10:09 PM   #1
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Bass Pro XPS Stalker Bag Review

Well like many,I had some BPS gift cards burning a hole in my pocket....Ive been on the hunt for a new tackle backpack..My plano rig has been slowlly falling apart on me,plus I wanted something a little more user friendly and more options.
I had a few in mind,but I wanted to take another look at the XPS Stalker bag (That and my gift cards only work there)....On sale for 32 bucks.

I looked at it awhile back but decided against it because I thought it might be a hassle on the bank with all the compartments,and lack of plastic storage.....For the first time ever....I was wrong

The first thing I noticed was the material....Its seems 5x tougher than than plano's bag I have...The stitching and everything looked heavy duty.

The thing is rated to hold 8 3600 series plano boxes..I found 7 plus a slim 3600 box was perfect!.8 normal was too tight in my opinion....Once the boxes were in,this bag looked good!
When opened the oppisite side of the flap has two mesh pockets for plastics..Reminder that this is the side that rest against your back while wearing it....I was able to fit 5 bags in each pocket and it provides a little cushion while wearing it.I decided this was awesome because it will not only limit to what I carry plastic wise,but also slow me down on fishing them.....But still 10 bags is plenty imo.

The outside of the flap has even more storage....For the backpack straps and possibly another rod......There are rod straps on both sides.

The bottom of the bag is reinforced with a heavy duty vinyl....Well see how it holds up

Both sides of the bags are identical...Both have a water bottle mesh pocket,deep,deep zipper pockets,and a zipper mesh pocket....One side has the cell phone holder which as you can see I use for my pliers......The other side has a built in towel..(removal,but still cool,lol)

The bottom has two rounded pockets for extra spools of line...They also have a slot to feed the line out of and you can use them as a spooling station...At first I thought it was kind of a dumb feature because I never carry spare line on me...But then I thought if you were fishing with leaders then this might be very useful to pull out some line to make new ones....I dont,so its kind of a dumb feature

The top also features a molded sunglasses zipped case along with two more zipped storage comparments...The sunglass case is pretty useless to me....But I can find another use for it Im sure.

And if that aint enough...In one of the zipped pockets under the sunglasses case is a rain cover for the whole bag.

Ive got this thing loaded down with gear....The backpack straps are padded and there is a chest snap to hold them in place.Their fairly comfortable.Ive yet to do walking in it but I think Ill be fine....Im not trying to carry everything Ive got...Just what I think Ill need...Which everything.
Im excited to use this bag,and see how it holds up...Its got more features than Optimus Prime and I think its a winner!
Old 12-27-10, 10:16 PM   #2
BBD
BassFishin.Com Active Member

That's a pretty functional bag! Does it feel durable? How's the stitching?
BBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-10, 10:29 PM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Thats a pretty sweet bag Waffel! That sunglass case might work well for a comcact 35mm point and shoot.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-10, 10:43 PM   #4
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Looks nice Walker! Let us know how it's working for you in a few months.

Keith, I was thinking the sunglass case would be good for a small P&S camera too.

BB

Last edited by BigBassin144; 12-28-10 at 08:38 AM.
BigBassin144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-10, 11:21 PM   #5
MississippiBoy

Man, that has everything except a bag of chips. Be careful, you might load it down so much you won't be able to pick it up.

BTW, I think the sunglasses case might be just right for a small point and shoot camera...
Old 12-27-10, 11:37 PM   #6
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBD View Post
That's a pretty functional bag! Does it feel durable? How's the stitching?
The durability seems fantastic....The material compared to my Plano bag feels like comparing blue jeans to dress slacks...
The stitching looks to be great as well,but only time will tell....My main concern is at the top of the backpack straps...But it all seems solid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
Thats a pretty sweet bag Waffel! That sunglass case might work well for a comcact 35mm point and shoot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Looks nice Walker! Let us know how it's working for you in a few months.
Keith, I was thinking the sunglass case would be good for a small P&S camera.

BB
A camera or something...I dont think my Coolpix will fit very well....Ill find a use for it though......Maybe a sandwich
Old 12-27-10, 11:54 PM   #7
LilJakeC
BassFishin.Com Member

I use to have the older version of that bag. I bought it 4 years ago and it worked great! That was until I went to take it out of the boat and the thread that holds the straps broke. I overloaded that tacklebag with around 50lbs of gear. The bag did show quite a bit of wear, but that is what you get when you have that much gear in it. This bag worked great for walking/biking to my local lake. You should love that bag.
Old 12-28-10, 12:04 AM   #8
Imgoodatwhatido

i looked over this bag too but ended up getting the extreme 370. I got the extreme because i didnt need a backpack type and my bag sets in the bottom of the boat and not on my back,. The main reason i got the extremem was because the stalker, or any other bag for that fact, didnt have a pocket large enough to put a spinnerbait box in.Lots of people are goin to the flat spinnerbait boxes but i love the rack hanging style spinnerbait boxes. That was the ultimate deciding factor for me. That and i prefer the larger boxes so i dont have to label 2 boxes the same thing and waste time fumblin for lures. i got a new keyboard for christmas an its gonna take some gettin use to. Sorry fdor the typos
Imgoodatwhatido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-10, 12:32 AM   #9
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
Man, that has everything except a bag of chips. Be careful, you might load it down so much you won't be able to pick it up.

BTW, I think the sunglasses case might be just right for a small point and shoot camera...

Well Ill be damned!

Ha!Yea Im that bored,but seriously though,My main goal is to not overload this bag...It aint fun bank fishing lugging an extra 30lbs..A heavy tacklebag dont help either!!....Im trying my best to only carry what I use and may need....So Far,it only weighs 25lbs
Old 12-28-10, 12:37 AM   #10
BBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
Well Ill be damned!

LOL!

This place is great!
BBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-10, 12:43 AM   #11
Jrob78

That bag is pretty slick indeed! I will definitely give it a close inspection next time I see you!
Old 12-28-10, 01:02 AM   #12
MikeS.
BassFishin.Com Member

Nice bag. I got the pro qualifier backpack and like it so far. I'm looking at a new bag though. I got way to much gear for what it can hold.
MikeS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-10, 05:48 PM   #13
Bassboss

Waffle, I f-in hate you man... HATE YOU!!

I've been holding my self from buying one of these for so long, and the sale price makes it harder you JERK!

I keep telling myself, "I gotta get tackle to put in it first, you dope!"

But in all seriousness, looks like a great bag, can't wait for a review.. I wonder how it would be wading though? I'm thinking I need something smaller, less bulky that I can hold in one are while I grab whatever I need form it out, but still be able to carrier a days worth of stuff. Maybe I'll find a steal on ebay that I wont be able to pass up.
Old 12-28-10, 06:45 PM   #14
Ebbetsguy

Nice bag I almost bought it myself. I opted for a BPS Extreme Waterproof boat bag, held all my gear in boxes. Not technically a tackle bag, but it's strong, double seemed and well built,plus minus points I paid 9 bucks, shipped for it !
Good luck and a good season with your bag
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-11, 06:44 PM   #15
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Looks great, and a very nice review, Waffle.
One question though...do they make one in Spicy Sweet Chili? Or only the Cool Ranch version?

I might end up with a new tackle bag by spring. Could use some more storage, and extra user-friendly features. Probably won't go with a backpack though
Old 01-03-11, 03:29 PM   #16
carolina-rig-01

LOL I can see it now, old Waffle will load that thing down so it is so heavy he will tip over backwards with it on his back and then he will look like a Turtle that can't turn back over.

Seriously that bag has an amazing amount of storage. That also would be a great bag for a co-angler who has trouble getting everything into a few bags to take on someone elses boat.
Old 01-03-11, 04:04 PM   #17
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
LOL I can see it now, old Waffle will load that thing down so it is so heavy he will tip over backwards with it on his back and then he will look like a Turtle that can't turn back over.

Seriously that bag has an amazing amount of storage. That also would be a great bag for a co-angler who has trouble getting everything into a few bags to take on someone elses boat.

LOL!...I already have enough trouble rolling out of bed...If I fall backwards on this thing...Im just gonna call Kaci,wait ,and take a nap.haha!

I think it would make a great co-angler bag!

I did fish a bank tourney Saturday morning...It was my first chance to really use it,and I love it!.....Doing quick pack ups and moving spots was so much easier than before...It took me longer to collect my rods...Having everything readily available in one main area just seems to make everything easier....The chest snap really helps keep the bag up on your back,which helped a lot going up steeper hills.
The spools pockets are great for carrying the tape measure and the other held my gloves...Cause it was freeeeezing!
My camera doesn't fit in the sunglass case,but still plenty of storage elsewhere to carry it....I carried energy bars in it=)
I had a tall water bottle in the mesh water bottle holder.....Not once did it slip out while wearing the backpack and hiking around the pond.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.