Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-05, 03:55 PM   #1
bassfisherman32
BassFishin.Com Member

Default crankbaits:bleeding & non bleeding

do bleeding crankbaits really work better than non bleeding cranks?
bassfisherman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-05, 04:19 PM   #2
Mac1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

It's and old idea that if you have a little red on a bait of any kind it's a good thing. So, even a little red near the mouth or a red dot on the belly seems to promote strikes. Some even go so far that with the right placement of the red color area, you can even get bass to target the hook. As for your specific question though, I really have no idea.
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-05, 05:35 PM   #3
Raul
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

No difference at all between a "bleeding" bait and a non bleeding one.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-05, 06:57 PM   #4
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

The jury is still out as far as I am concerned.
Old 10-25-05, 07:06 PM   #5
chuck n
BassFishin.Com Member

I agree with Raul. It's been written that bass can "see" the color red more than any other color.But nothing that I've read says they see red as an indication of blood. The wobbling of the crankbait indicates an injured fish. That, in its self, should invoke a strike from a bass who's interested. Now maybe, just maybe, if that crankbait was secreting a blood trail as it traveled through the water?????????Works for sharks.LOL
Old 10-25-05, 07:21 PM   #6
bass kicker

i dont fish crank baits that often but when i do it doesnt seem to matter if there is a little red on them.
Old 10-25-05, 08:54 PM   #7
Marty

I fish a lot of crankbaits and I'd be surprised if there was any difference. It would be extrememly difficult to establish, because of all the variables in fishing and the near-impossibility of catching enough fish, over a long enough period of time, under controlled conditions, to come up with a good answer. I think it's like so many other things in fishing, if one or the other gives you more confidence, then most definitely use it.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-05, 06:37 AM   #8
1FASTLASER

Here's something for you to think about. Red is one of the first colors in the color spectrum to disappear in water. Hence the popularity in the cajun lightning line and the red cast. Now I am not totally convinced that the bass doesnt see red but I am convinced that they see it in a different way than we do. What I am saing is they don't see red as red like we do its probably a different shade much like a deer doesnt see colors as we do it see's different shades and they react to different shades differently because it is a foreign shade in a otherwise familiar enviorment.
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-05, 07:36 AM   #9
bassfisherman32
BassFishin.Com Member

i heard that the red hooks also indicate blood. i have the strikeking bleeding minnow and i is all white with gills and bout 5 dots of red blood behind the gills.the lure also has red hooks. ive only caught one fish on it. it weighed bout 2 and a half pounds.
bassfisherman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-05, 03:43 PM   #10
rrw4258

i have these lures called capt. jacks one shot lures, and they actually do emitt a blood trail behind them, you cna change the bill to shallow medium or deep runners. I have cuahgt a lot of fish on them.
Old 10-26-05, 09:45 PM   #11
flachristopherkeene9
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Show their website for proof rrw.

Chris
flachristopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-05, 01:43 AM   #12
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul
No difference at all between a "bleeding" bait and a non bleeding one.
Hey Raul, the only thing "bleeding" would be the wallet!

I concur with you 100%
Old 10-27-05, 01:47 PM   #13
bassthumb32
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

Its A Good Idea But Im Not Convinced It Works.
Old 10-27-05, 02:22 PM   #14
rrw4258

i cant find a website but im serious ill try to post a pic from my digital camera.

You slip a little tablet of a bllod like subastance in the back of the lure, and it really works!! Ill see if i can get a pic.
Old 10-27-05, 02:31 PM   #15
River stumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw4258
i have these lures called capt. jacks one shot lures, and they actually do emitt a blood trail behind them, you cna change the bill to shallow medium or deep runners. I have cuahgt a lot of fish on them.
Tell me how these things work? And why I haven't seen these bleeding lures. About the closest theing I can get to, is at one time there were some worms out there that had a pocket in the belly where you could put bits of alka-seltzer and let it fizz as you worked it, but never, never have I seen a bleeding lure that I could cast.
Old 10-27-05, 06:48 PM   #16
rrw4258

there is a small pocket at the bottom of these crankbaits, that you slip a little tablet that came with the box, and you can change colors and diving dpeths with the bill, it comes out with a little screw, ill try to have a pic posted by sunday, my digital camera is at my friends house right now.

Ryan
Old 10-27-05, 08:15 PM   #17
Rodman_Rob

A little bit of red hear and there can't hurt, however here's something to ponder. Red is the first color in the color spectrum that disappears in water the deeper you get, therefore it would probably be completely useless on a deep diver. I have a bottle of "Spike It" dye in red, usually splash a few drops on the lure if it doesn't have red, orange, or pink on it already.
Old 10-27-05, 09:14 PM   #18
chuck n
BassFishin.Com Member

Let's put things into perspective here. Fish don't have the capacity to "think" Therefore, red spots on the side of a crank bait could not represent blood in their mind. Even with our IQ, if we saw red spots on a bait fish we would have to give it thought. Why? because red spots on a fish in the water would not necessarily indicate blood. We can reason, unlike bass, and we know that blood in water mixes and dissipates. It doesn't normally form as spots and hang on to the bait fish as it swims. So, when has a bass ever saw red spots on his "soon to be" meal and "thought" it was blood? My educated guess would be "never".
Old 10-27-05, 11:15 PM   #19
Rodman_Rob

chuck, consider this, a bass may not have the ability to reason, but they do have the ability to associate certain things. If they've seen injured baitfish in the past, there's a possibility they saw red, be it in the form of a wound, sore, blood trail, etc, therefore associate the color red with a wounded baitfish. Of course nobody has proof, but I don't think a few spots of red will hurt your chances of putting fish in the boat, I think if anything, it can only help.
Old 10-28-05, 01:49 AM   #20
chuck n
BassFishin.Com Member

First, let me say that I do respect your opinion, Rob. I don't think a bass can equivocate a wound or sore to an easy meal unless the bait fish possesses other symptoms such as erratic movements like a crank bait. Bass normally feed on healthy bait fish daily. In my mind, red spots or a red hook alone would not provoke a strike.. I personally just don't feel that red spots are anymore effective than any other color or pattern at any given time. Would I throw a crank bait that didn't have eyes painted on it? Sure, Why not? I don't think a hungry bass cares if his prey has eyes or not. I'm confident in throwing the color white in almost any bait. Do I think it's a bass's favorite color? I don't think so. If red dots on your bait or red hooks in your worm gives you confidence. Throw it. You'll probably do well. I just think we give the bass way too much credit. They possess a very, very simplistic mind. That's why we can consistently catch them on plastic and wood in almost every shape and color imaginable and we've been doing it for years. I'll continue to ask. With all the colors and designs today, who actually is getting caught? LOL Yes, I'm just as guilty. I should have wheels on my tackle box. LOL
Old 10-28-05, 05:55 PM   #21
basstech

I would suggest that if you can get a crankbait to actually leave a real blood trail in the water, than it might work better than other cranks....otherwise it just a bunch of more crapola people use to sell a product. The real people to ask that question to are the "marketing geniuses" at the tackle manufacturers corprate office.
On the days they "MAY" make a difference, It's going to specifically be because of the color being more visible for the fish to key on. Personally I think baits with Kill spots make a bigger difference than the "bleeding" b.s.
Old 10-29-05, 12:50 AM   #22
Rodman_Rob

its all just bass theory. we really won't know the answer until somebody does extensive, no, EXTENSIVE research constantly observing their feeding habits in a controled enviroment, but even that would be a daunting task to replicate their natural habitat in a controlled enviroment in the first place. Maybe somebody will teach a bass to talk so we can get the bass's opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck n
First, let me say that I do respect your opinion, Rob. I don't think a bass can equivocate a wound or sore to an easy meal unless the bait fish possesses other symptoms such as erratic movements like a crank bait. Bass normally feed on healthy bait fish daily. In my mind, red spots or a red hook alone would not provoke a strike.. I personally just don't feel that red spots are anymore effective than any other color or pattern at any given time. Would I throw a crank bait that didn't have eyes painted on it? Sure, Why not? I don't think a hungry bass cares if his prey has eyes or not. I'm confident in throwing the color white in almost any bait. Do I think it's a bass's favorite color? I don't think so. If red dots on your bait or red hooks in your worm gives you confidence. Throw it. You'll probably do well. I just think we give the bass way too much credit. They possess a very, very simplistic mind. That's why we can consistently catch them on plastic and wood in almost every shape and color imaginable and we've been doing it for years. I'll continue to ask. With all the colors and designs today, who actually is getting caught? LOL Yes, I'm just as guilty. I should have wheels on my tackle box. LOL
Old 10-29-05, 11:52 AM   #23
chuck n
BassFishin.Com Member

I've got a bass that talks. Billy Bass. I think I bought him at Walmart. LOL
Old 10-31-05, 07:04 PM   #24
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Where's zooker, and his "red is the biggest gimmick out there to catch fisherman not fish" phrase. I don't like red hooks, none of them are very sturdy, so I don't use them. Secondly, if red is so much better, then every pro on the circuit would be using nothing but red. I will say this again, if you throw baits or hooks with red more often than not, then you will catch more fish with them. As already stated fish see shades, not colors, so the shade of brown, might be really close to the shade of red. If you have confidence in red, then use it. I could care less if it has red on anything I throw. And as for the bleeding bait theory, how many of you have actually seen a fish bleeding in the water? I have seen injured fish, chunks taken out of them, which means there had to be blood at some time. So if it was the almighty fish catcher, why is it still alive at all? Why wouldn't it have been swallowed up by every single bass around? Fish eat like us when they are hungry, or when they react to something in front of them, or anger. If you want a scent trail from a crank bait, put a pice of pipe cleaner around the trebbles with some scent on it.

Lizards

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.