Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-10, 08:56 PM   #1
twigass
BassFishin.Com Member

Default line

ok guys got a question about the line you use because I have had way too many break offs this year to be patient any longer, to date I have lost 6 fish due to break off and 1 straighten my hook. 2 were monsters like in the 6 lb range and the others were 5ish area. The lines I have tried are 12lb xt, went to 10lb vanish, then to 10lb vicious which sucks by the way to now I have invisex 10lb which is working but had a 4 1/2 break me off yesterday dock fishing it might just be my year for crap luck but I need to get a good fishing line and stick 2 it because it is getting expensive trying crap lines.
twigass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-10, 09:03 PM   #2
florida fisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

you should look at braided line its a lot stronger for its size
Old 08-02-10, 09:06 PM   #3
twigass
BassFishin.Com Member

what about for flipping docks which i do fairly regular
twigass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-10, 09:33 PM   #4
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

bass pro flouro...
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-10, 09:40 PM   #5
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Make sure you are lubricating your knots really well. Fluoro becomes weak if you tighten your knots dry. I think the line burns.

I use 12lb P-line CX on most of my reels. It is a copoly line. I haven't had any problems with it.
Old 08-02-10, 09:54 PM   #6
florida fisher

well it looks like they got that one covered for ya
Old 08-02-10, 10:04 PM   #7
tim4081

If I'm using straight fluoro on a reel its Invisix....never had a break off that I could blame on the line. I use braid on several reels and will also use fluoro leaders on the braid depending on circumstances.
tim4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-10, 10:15 PM   #8
walkeraviator

how tight is yoru drag set? it seems to me if i run anything less than 12lb test i need to be willing to give em some drag... period...

and yes wetting yoru knot real good is a good idea... also be sure to check yoru line frequently and re-tie if needed.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-10, 10:47 PM   #9
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'm not so sure it's the lines your using. I'd take a good close look at your rod guides to see if maybe there is a nick or crack thats causing damage to your line. Also, how are you fishing, such as the type of cover and tachnique your using. Because if your using 10 pound mono around brush, piers, rocks/cement, bridge pileing and so on, you should be using a heavier pound test line. I'd be using 17-20 pound line in those situations. I've been using Berkley Big Game line this year in 17 pound test and I've put it through hell and back without a breakoff. It's cheap, but it's strong.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-10, 11:12 PM   #10
CamG

As mentioned before, it really depends on what you are fishing. If it's around docks, and you're using baitcasting equipment - I would jump up to 12 or 15 lb. P-Line CXX or CX.

I run 15-20 lb. P-Line CX on most of my rigs now, and I can't honestly remember the last time my line broke.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-10, 12:10 AM   #11
carolina-rig-01

First off I have sworn off Trilene line several times because of it breaking, for some reason I have convinced myself that maybe I just got a bad spool and bought some more only to be disapointed again. Braid is a descent option but it for sure isn't your only option, you don't have to use braid in order to stop having line issues because if that was the case then everyone would use nothing but braid. Invizx is a good line but once it gets a knick in it it wil break pretty easy. I have used Invizx for several years with very few breakoffs, as a matter of fact the only breakoffs I had were on the hooksets and that is sign of a bad knot or frayed line, by the way I have went to the Eugene bend knot and haven't had a knot break in a long time. If you are getting along ok with flourocarbon line then I recommend you spool up with Seaguar Abrazx and see if that helps because I haven't had it break at all, on hooksets or otherwise. As a matter of fact I got a jig hung up with 15lb Abrazx a while back and ended up having to wrap the line around a cleat on my boat and turning the trolling motor on high just to get it to break and it held the boat in place for a while before finally breaking off. Abrazx is just about as easy to handle as Invizx but it is a lot more abrasion resistant. I honestly think that if you give it a fair shot and keep an eye on your line and retie when it needs it you will be fine.
Old 08-03-10, 05:54 AM   #12
dodgeguy

65 lb fireline braid.

Old 08-03-10, 07:51 AM   #13
rrw4258

I was in the same boat at you the past couple of weeks. I was a diehard Berkley Big Game user until recently. It seems like every spool I use is weak, weak, weak. It just doesnt hold up like it used to.

Since then I have moved to P-Line CXX Xtra-Strong. This line has a little memory to it, but it is treatable with KVD Line and Lure Condtioner. CXX is stronger than nails. You will straighten hooks before you break CXX. It tends to run a little larger in diameter thatn most lines. I have been using 12lb. for worm fishing, light flipping, and spinnerbaits and have yet to have anything break me off.

Ryan
Old 08-03-10, 08:34 AM   #14
HarveysMinnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I'm not so sure it's the lines your using. I'd take a good close look at your rod guides to see if maybe there is a nick or crack thats causing damage to your line. Also, how are you fishing, such as the type of cover and tachnique your using. Because if your using 10 pound mono around brush, piers, rocks/cement, bridge pileing and so on, you should be using a heavier pound test line. I'd be using 17-20 pound line in those situations. I've been using Berkley Big Game line this year in 17 pound test and I've put it through hell and back without a breakoff. It's cheap, but it's strong.
Keith sums this all up very nicely, and I can only reemphasize the importance of setting your drag properly. If your rod guides are all ok, and you are tying the knots properly, you should be able to land fish that size. I'm thinking that many people keep their drag set at no more than 50 - 60 % of the line rated strength. If you have trouble estimating this, use one of those hand held scales hooked to the end of your line.

Also, I'm not one to judge how other people 'play' their fish, and without seeing you in action, I certainly couldn't say, but some people seem to set the hook too hard. I believe a series of quick firm tugs are better than one thunderous jerk. It's sort of like driving a nail...you don't expect to drive a nail in completely with one whack. Hammer that hook in several times...and make sure your hooks are as sharp as possible.

Old 08-03-10, 12:01 PM   #15
CamG

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw4258 View Post
I was in the same boat at you the past couple of weeks. I was a diehard Berkley Big Game user until recently. It seems like every spool I use is weak, weak, weak. It just doesnt hold up like it used to.

Since then I have moved to P-Line CXX Xtra-Strong. This line has a little memory to it, but it is treatable with KVD Line and Lure Condtioner. CXX is stronger than nails. You will straighten hooks before you break CXX. It tends to run a little larger in diameter thatn most lines. I have been using 12lb. for worm fishing, light flipping, and spinnerbaits and have yet to have anything break me off.

Ryan
Good stuff isn't it! On my heavy pitching rig, I've used nothing but 15 lb. P-Line CXX in Moss Green for about the last 9 years. I can't honestly think of any time I've had the line break. I've wrapped big ones in deep trees to where I could see the fish but it was just deep enough that I couldn't reach them - and my only option was to break off. Breaking this stuff isn't easy. I've had to wrap my line around a Mountain Dew bottle and pull as hard as I can, and it still won't break sometimes.

The absolute only drawback to it is that it has some memory after it's been on the spool, but it can be treated to help this out.
Old 08-03-10, 12:52 PM   #16
geezer1

I too liked P-Line CXX. Then I tried McCoys Mean Green copoly. It's as strong as CXX without the memory/stiffness. I order mine from McCoys, that way I know it hasn't been sitting on a shelf for the past year or so. Once you try it, you'll not want to use any other copoly.
geezer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-10, 01:07 AM   #17
triglet
BassFishin.Com Member

I too am a big braid user. i use power pro on just about every reel i own. I did switch to some p-line on one of my baitcasters just because of all the great things i read about it. I have to agree it is good line! The only trouble i had was fishing rock ledges and things like that. If the fish got near the cover and ledges sometimes i would wind up with a break off. Granted this is partially because of the line rubbing on the cover and getting nicked and partially because i am so used to the braid and trying to horse the fish where i want it. All in all that's not the line's fault. However it did cause me to go back to braid when fishing around the ledges. I agree with what other people have said about going to a stronger line and adjusting your drag some and see what kinda results you get.
triglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-10, 09:23 AM   #18
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I think there may be something going on other than your line. I've been using Seaguar InvisX (the same spool actually) for almost two seasons now and have had one break that wasn't my fault.

I've pitching with 12lb test, but would recommend going up to 15-17lb. This will help you a lot around dock pilings and other abrasive structure.

I use the Improved Clinch Knot and wet it good before you tighten it SLOWLY. Retie when the line gets frayed (that's normally why I have break offs, I don't retie enough).

Check your guides for chips or cracks. A good way to do this (after just looking them over) is to run a q-tip around the inside of the guide. if it snags anywhere, your guide needs replacing.

While I use it, I don't think braid is a fix all. It has it's own batch of problems that one may not want to deal with. I'd recommend Sufix Performance Braid or Spiderwire Ultracast. However, if you're flipping to docks w/o a lot of cover, you may not want to go with braid.

BB
Old 08-04-10, 09:55 AM   #19
Bassboss

Yeah, and you lubing your knots? And how's your drag set? Maybe it's to tight, the drag is there for a reason. InvizX is among the favorites, you should not be having any problems. Also check your knot for knicks and abrasion, if you do, cut them off and retie. And like Keith said, of you're fishing around cover, brush piles, rocks, weeds, 10lb is not gonna fit the bill. 15lb is great, I've found that it's the best all around line pound test for bait casting techniques.

It's almost gotta be operator error with this one....

Also some mentioned CXX. I use it too. Great line, NEVER have broken it! I fish some thick stuff at times with it too, 12lb the who way around. It's got a bit a memory, but it's the most abrasion resistant line I've ever used, also it's pretty low stretch, so you can use it for worm and jigging as well. I'm never done trying line though, but I doubt this spool will be my last!

If you get CXX know this.

10lb breaks at 14lb
12lb breaks at 17lb

What ever the line lb test is, it's around 40% more.

Last edited by Bassboss; 08-04-10 at 10:08 AM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-10, 01:11 PM   #20
Crank-Bait-Frank

I have been using P-Line for years. I swear by it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P-line cxx-1.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	5664  
Old 08-04-10, 07:02 PM   #21
rangerryan

I have lost 6 fish due to break off and 1 straighten my hook. 2 were monsters like in the 6 lb range and the others were 5ish area.[/QUOTE]

What kinda crap hooks are you using for a 5 or 6 lber to straighten your hook? Gold crappie hooks? And when flippen docks you have to check your line every few flips it doesnt take much time and it could help you land the bass of a life time.
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-10, 07:35 PM   #22
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveysMinnow View Post
and I can only reemphasize the importance of setting your drag properly. If your rod guides are all ok, and you are tying the knots properly, you should be able to land fish that size. I'm thinking that many people keep their drag set at no more than 50 - 60 % of the line rated strength. If you have trouble estimating this, use one of those hand held scales hooked to the end of your line.

Also, I'm not one to judge how other people 'play' their fish, and without seeing you in action, I certainly couldn't say, but some people seem to set the hook too hard. I believe a series of quick firm tugs are better than one thunderous jerk. It's sort of like driving a nail...you don't expect to drive a nail in completely with one whack. Hammer that hook in several times...and make sure your hooks are as sharp as possible.

I agree 100%. Very good points HM! I love the hammer and nail analogy!
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-10, 10:03 PM   #23
Cavs1123

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw4258 View Post

Ryan

I was just going to say that but...I am switching from Big Game to CXX after seeing first hand how it holds up!
Old 08-05-10, 04:13 PM   #24
CamG

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I agree 100%. Very good points HM! I love the hammer and nail analogy!
A fishes mouth is not a board, however. I've gotten along for quite some time setting the hook ONCE, and keeping constant pressure on the fish thereafter. Seems to me like setting the hook multiple times (or with a series of quick firm tugs) lends itself to losing pressure on a fish. Not mention if you are flipping or pitching in heavy cover, setting the hook once is the only way to get the fish's head turned and coming directly at you.
Old 08-05-10, 04:31 PM   #25
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
A fishes mouth is not a board, however. I've gotten along for quite some time setting the hook ONCE, and keeping constant pressure on the fish thereafter. Seems to me like setting the hook multiple times (or with a series of quick firm tugs) lends itself to losing pressure on a fish. Not mention if you are flipping or pitching in heavy cover, setting the hook once is the only way to get the fish's head turned and coming directly at you.
I'd have to agree here. You set once and keep pressure on the fish. Even if the hook isn't completely in, they normally stay.

If you set once, then let up pressure to set again, I'd think the risk of losing the fish would be greater because of the lack of pressure.

But hey, to each his own.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.