Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-11, 10:46 AM   #1
ukbass
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Custom Rods

I've read on here before that many of you prefer custom rods. I would like to try one. Not sure who to use? Any suggestions?
ukbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-11, 10:56 AM   #2
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have seen some of the sick looking rods that WaffleJaw builds, and he does an absolutley outstanding job at it. I am sure he will chime in when he see's this post, but I can reccommend him.

http://nelsoncustomrods.webs.com/

Ryan
Old 07-22-11, 11:02 AM   #3
bassboogieman

I have one of Walker's (wafflejaw) rods. He was great to work with, kept me informed during the build process, made a few suggestions after I told him what I was looking for. You CAN spend considerable $$$ depending upon the blank and components selected or get away at a more modest expense. Mine was built on a G. Loomis North Forks Composite IM blank (7'0" MH/f) and that started me down the path to a pretty expensive outlay, but it's what I wanted and turned out functional as well as pleasing to my eye. Included titanium frame micro guides and Walker matched the rod color for a Pflueger Partiarch XT reel.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-11, 11:20 AM   #4
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Walker will be building mine when I can afford it.

BB
Old 07-22-11, 12:53 PM   #5
WaffleJaw

Wow thank you Ryan,Bruce,Anthony for the recommendation...Bruce I been meaning to ask how you were liking the micro guides.

Ukbass,I will be more than happy to answer any questions you have about custom rods..You can pm here,or email through my site.
Custom rods can be an excellent choice when you know what your looking for out of a fishing rod,or you just cant seem to find what your looking for.You can also be sure that the rod will be extremely well built with time and care. ..There are several options for components to best match the technique or style your wanting.Then modifying those components to make em even better!
Old 07-22-11, 02:53 PM   #6
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbass View Post
I've read on here before that many of you prefer custom rods. I would like to try one. Not sure who to use? Any suggestions?
I'd definitely get Walker to build one for you. As far as what blanks to use? I've heard the phoenix makes some awesome blanks, and their t-46 are supposedly the lightest around... But have no experience with em myself.
Old 07-22-11, 03:09 PM   #7
Jrob78

Get a Nelson, you won't be sorry! He can work with your budget and come up with something that you will love and not break the bank.
Old 07-22-11, 03:51 PM   #8
Z-Man
BassFishin.Com Member

Those rods looks sick! As much as I love my Crucials, I would give em all up for a handful of custom rods.
Old 07-23-11, 03:41 AM   #9
hardhead
BassFishin.Com Member

Custom rods are sold for many reasons...beauty is in the eye of the beholder.A lot of "custom" rods trade hands on the "bling" factor alone..and thats ok.

As Walker already stated another reason people buy custom built rods is a lack of availability of specific features from over the counter manufacturers. Different types of fishing cry out for technique specific rods.. Bass fishing..Surf fishing..spider rigging..deep drop..Pier..all have very different requirements on equipment. The key to a truly custom built rod is ...it is built for YOU... not the guy next to you.

If you can find a rod of the shelf thats fits your needs.. you are money ahead to use it.

There is much talk on these boards about superior qualities in rods by different current manufacturers...almost all of the NEW over the top features have been common for some time in the rodbuilding community.

Last edited by hardhead; 07-23-11 at 12:43 PM.
hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-11, 05:02 PM   #10
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbass View Post
I've got a couple custom rods and they all had a specific function in mind when they were made. I can give you contact info for Gary at Fight Back Rods if you PM me. He did a spinning rod for a floating worm and baitcasting rod for flipping and pitching for me.

Looks like WJ does a good job too.
Old 08-02-11, 02:42 PM   #11
ukbass
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks guys, sorry it took me so long to get back on here. Just been very busy. I appreciate all of the advice. As I get older, it just bothers me more to buy stuff that it made overseas. I have never had a custom rod, but have read a lot about how guys like them better. I have had my share of rods break on the water, so I figured I should give these a try. Thanks again.
ukbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-11, 03:01 AM   #12
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

UK, if your concern is a rod breaking, a custom rod will not fix that totally. I know because I am going to have to rebuild a rod I built for a guy. Although it is strongly thought to be at his negligence from the time fished with it and pictures I have seen. His handle and care were not up to par somewhere along the way causing the break. Custom rods are usually higher modulus, more sensitive blanks come at a price of integrity.
Old 08-03-11, 03:07 PM   #13
Jrob78

I agree with Bubba. A custom rod isn't going to be more sturdy than a store bought rod. If anything, it will be more brittle, for the reasons stated above.
If rods are breaking on you, especially after you've fished with them for awhile, it's probably because of something you're doing. Here is a really good article on rod breakage and how to prevent it.
http://www.rodbuilding.org/library/rodusage.pdf

All that said, I still think you, or anyone else for that matter, could greatly benefit from a custom rod built to your specifications. People are all different shapes and sizes and have different styles of fishing. Production rods are basically a one size fits all tool. If you've fished long enough to truly know what you want in a rod and what you dislike in a rod, a custom is the way to go.
Old 08-18-11, 11:24 AM   #14
DVT Mike
BassFishin.Com Active Member

One of the biggest misconceptions about custom rods is that they are super expensive. Not necessarily. Anyone with the budget for a quality off-the-shelf rod can have a high performing custom rod built. Form follows function and the bling is what starts to drive the price up. These techniques take practice to master and are time consuming to perform. Considering the wide array of components available, a custom rod is much more within reach than many think.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.