Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-06, 01:59 PM   #1
mymomisbecky
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Need help.. underwater camcorder

I have recently purchased a nice new camcorder to record fishing trips, etc.. lots of plans for it.. one of them being to show the action on my baits, to display on my website to help those people see just how they look in the water.
The other is as a scouting tool... I realize I can buy an aquaview, but I want to record, etc... I have a 5 inch PSone color LCD that I will use.. I have the battery, all the tools etc to make it work, and its functional, 100%... I just have to make an enclosure for the camera.
I wont be dropping it more than 30 feet, so pressure shouldnt be an issue.
Its a small camcorder, but still would require a BIG piece of pvc to fit it in to that.
Any other ides out there guys? I need to be able to access the camcorder once its out of the water, so thats important.
Help me brainstorm, and to the person who helps the most, ill hook em up with some free plastics.
Thanks in advance
Ryan of http://www.mymomisbecky.com
mymomisbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-06, 02:23 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

lexon plexiglass is your answer, easy to find at any hardware store, and I'd recommend making a box with 1/4 thick clear plexiglass, you can cut and drill it easily. All you have to do is seal it up with silastic silicone, or glue the edges of the box together with some good epoxy. You may have to seal it and then break the seal to get the camera out, but its a easy fix..
You can attach some method of retreiving it too, like a eye hook and rope..the reason I know its easy to make, we have them all over the machinery at work.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-06, 02:28 PM   #3
mymomisbecky

I know that is certainly an option. The main issue im dealing with is the retrieval of the camera after an outing.. I plan to use it a few times a week... Scouting for fish in areas where fish should be. Like an aquaview, but also to record things etc.. IM really excited about the possibilities of it.
I do have a plastics store actually that sells scrap plastics like this for nickels on the dollar.. Super cheap... but like i said, its getting the camera out thats the trick. Im certain it will end up being something like this, but thats the main obstacle im facing right now.

I did one of these with a cheap camera last year, smaller camera, subpar quality, but it worked... the camera was enclosed and never retrievable, but it worked... Had to use some regulators to manipulate the differing voltages of the camera/lcd etc, to all power off one battery.
Keep the suggestions coming.
Thanks
Old 06-26-06, 02:46 PM   #4
JB

I would put that camera in a ziplock bag inside that plexiglass to ensure your camera from water damage...as far as being able to retrieve it, any strong braid or nylon rope, securely attached to the plexiglass box would be a simple way of bringing the camera/box up, much like a anchor..
Depending on your water clairity, I would think that you'd have to optimize the camera ablity to see underwater in dark depths.. trial and error I guess.
Old 06-26-06, 02:50 PM   #5
mymomisbecky

yeah, i should definately put it in a zip lock.. hundreds of bucks for a camera, no need to go breakin it .
The tether will be no problem, some rope etc.. ill take care of that.. I meant retrieval of the camera from its housing..
I like the idea of using that clear thick plexi, but I dont want to have to researl it every time I want to take it out etc.. im sure you understand. so i have to figure out some sort of clamps, or something.
was thinking I could cut off the last 2-3 inches of a clear pasta cannister or cookie jar type thing, those have a built in rubber ring, and if you adjust the clamps you should be able to get a really water tight seal... thoughts?

something like this
Old 06-26-06, 03:05 PM   #6
JB

thats a winnner!~
Old 06-26-06, 03:12 PM   #7
mymomisbecky

The only question I have is the tightness of the seal.. hopefully you can manipulate the clamp to tighten it more, and the side opposite of the clamp tight enough too...
suppose I can always do a dry run so to speak..
Heck looking at that cannister, I could use that thing just by itself for the whole housing... hmmm
thanks for the help so far.. if there are any other ideas, please shoot em off.
My grand scheme is to make a driveable ROV. with rudders, and props, servos for steering etc. Now that would be fun...
I used to drive radio controlled boats all the time as a kid, so the servos steering thing is a piece of cake. the driveshaft etc will be tougher
Old 06-26-06, 04:29 PM   #8
JB

that jar idea is a helluva lot better and cheaper, I'd go with it..good luck!
Old 06-26-06, 04:35 PM   #9
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I think you guys are on the right track. Maybe use a round Polycarbonate (lexan) tube and cut it in half. Seal the ends up with a round piece of the same material and some epoxy. Then use a pipe clamp to seal it up in the middle like this:
You could take it apart easily then.
Are you going to put some LEDs or some lights on the front of it?
Edit: Clamp - hardware store or www.mcmaster.com Page 83
Polycarbonate Tubing: same site, page 3368.

Last edited by Bender; 06-26-06 at 04:40 PM.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-06, 04:38 PM   #10
mymomisbecky

actually my camcorder has 2 leds on the front, for filming in low light and nighttime conditions.. so its all set.
good suggestion there by the way
Old 06-26-06, 04:39 PM   #11
mymomisbecky

the old one i made last year, I had to wire in a ring of LEDs and power them in tandem to 12v exactly or I would burn em up.. this one thank god has built in leds
Old 06-26-06, 08:18 PM   #12
Rebbasser

Being a scuba diver I can tell you first hand you need a casing designed to be used underwater. Anything less will probably leak and ruin your equipment. If it is not designed to be used under water I'd strongly advise you don't risk it. Even if you are using it in less than 30 feet the pressure still increases as you descend. Ever notice your ears hurt when you dive to the bottom of a pool in the deep end? At 33 feet you have the equivalent of 2 atmospheres of pressure, but the pressure increases gradually with depth. For example, at 16 1/2 feet you experience 1.5 atmospheres of pressure. You wil need something designed for that. If you do come up with something on your own be sure to test it before you drop your camcorder in the water .
Old 06-26-06, 09:54 PM   #13
bassguy2004

I might be wrong but I think you can hook up a camcorder to the Aqua-view. If that is what your after, then no wet camcorder.
Old 06-27-06, 12:18 AM   #14
mymomisbecky

Im making my own aqua view i dont currently own one.. I will figure something out . thanks for the input rebbasser its certainly noted.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.