Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-11, 02:36 PM   #1
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Changing hooks

How many of you guys change the hooks on your lures from season to season?
I know that many of us, me included, change them when we purchase them, but do any of you replace them from year to year.
I ask because I recently had this conversation with a friend of mine as we were discussing what we have to do to get ready for the tourney season.

I stick to the as needed technique, but he swears by changing them out every year. I can see that on some of my baits that get a lot of use, but I bet I have cranks that might only see the water 3 or 4 times in a year.

Just curious as to your thoughts.
Old 01-17-11, 03:03 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i too go with the AS NEEDED approach cass.
Old 01-17-11, 04:01 PM   #3
JB

I sharpen them almost every time I got out, only replace hooks if they are rusty, a good confidence maker and a good routine to get into before the tourney jitters get to ya.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 04:20 PM   #4
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I don't change hooks like I should.

I rarely ever change hooks out of the package. We've got a couple baits with hooks that you can tell are getting dull. I'm gonna try to get around to that this winter.

BB
Old 01-17-11, 05:55 PM   #5
bassboogieman

As needed, and some lures need the hooks replaced as soon as you open the package. If you've got good hooks and only thrown a lure a few dozen time the previous year, the hooks certainly won't need changed. If you thrown one a few hunderd times the last week - they may. Use (other than the quality of the originals) should be the primary reason to change a hook, not age.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 09:54 PM   #6
CiK
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Should do it more than I do. I should also sharpen the hooks a little more too. Bad habits I have.

Do you guys buy your hooks in bulk and keep them with you and change them as needed or religiously change them during the winter months? There are some lures that might not see action but once or twice a year..........seems like a waste to change them out yearly when sharpening them more should be ok.
CiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-11, 10:59 AM   #7
Bender

I only change them when needed. I really need to find a treble hook that works for me and then I will buy in bulk. I just checked and 100 ct. packs of Mustad Triple Grips cost between $20-30 (excluding KVD) and Gammy's are about $15 for a 25 pack. That sure would make it a lot more reasonable.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-11, 11:30 AM   #8
HarveysMinnow
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
As needed, and some lures need the hooks replaced as soon as you open the package. If you've got good hooks and only thrown a lure a few dozen time the previous year, the hooks certainly won't need changed. If you thrown one a few hunderd times the last week - they may. Use (other than the quality of the originals) should be the primary reason to change a hook, not age.
I'm as guilty as anybody of failing to change and/or sharpen hooks. For some reason it's a really hard thing to remember, but it's such an easy thing to do and whether it's really needed so frequently or not, it certainly can't hurt.

/
Old 01-18-11, 12:02 PM   #9
WatterBoy

I don't believe I've ever sharpened or replaced a single hook, so shame on me for being lazy. On the flip side, however, I do a ton of senko fishing and quite often "feed" the whole set-up to a pike, so I start with brand-new hooks fairly often. For the little bit of non-senko fishing I do, I guess I should start considering hook sharpening/replacing at some point, although the pike around here like to see me to replace those lures entirely at a decent rate also.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-11, 02:16 PM   #10
walkeraviator

I dont tourney fish... so my approach to shaprening or replacing hooks is liek this... teh hook is fine until i loose fish... then i sharpen... if it gets rusty i replace...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-11, 04:30 PM   #11
carolina-rig-01

I replace all treble hooks with Mustad Triple Grips right out of the package before they make it into my boat. Then I just keep an eye on them and replace them as they need it.
Old 01-27-11, 01:54 AM   #12
Rebbasser

As needed. However, I ALWAYS change Rat--Trap hooks. The stock hooks are about as sharp as a Q-tip. I prefer VMC Needle Cone hooks from http://lurepartsonline.com/cart.html

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.