Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-11, 04:55 PM   #1
cotton
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Noobie Needs help with understanding gear ratio

A newbie question I am sure! But please any help on understanding gear ratio in baitcasters. About to buy 3 new set ups and I am thinking about getting all citica's. At the same time I would like to keep my options open in case I was to stumble across a good deal. Thanks!
cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-11, 05:18 PM   #2
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

There are 2 seperate factors that work together, gear ratio and line retrieve. Both should be considered if you have a specific goal in mind. Gear ratio is actually very simple. The main gear which is large turns the pinion gear which is small. The pinion gear turns the spool. The main gear turns one full revolution each time the handle turns one revolution. The smaller pinion gear turns several times before the handle finishes one full revolution. This works just like the gears on a bike. The main gear on a bike is hooked to the pedal and you could consider that the pinion gear is like the rear sprocket. The spool or in the analogy, the rear wheel is turning much faster because the small gear is making several revolutions. If you have a 7.1.1 ratio reel, that means the spool will turn 7.1 revolutions each time the handle makes one revolution. A 5.1.1 will turn 5.1 times. That controls speed, but it also controls some power. The smaller a ratio is, the easier it is to turn under a load. Just like a 10 speed bike, the 1st speed is slow, but easy to pedal, the high speed is fast, but takes more energy to pedal. In a fishing reel, the difference is almost not noticable unless you use big crankbaits that have a lot of resitence. For those baits, a slow reel like a 5.1.1 will be easier to use all day than a 7.1.1 would. If speed of retrieve is the concern, then you must also consider the line retieve rate or the IPT, inchs per turn. This is governed by the dimension of the spool and the amount of line on the spool. The bigger the outside dimension of the spool, the more line it will take in each time the spool makes a revolution. therefore, you can have a 5.1.1 ratio reel with a big spool that actually retrieves baits faster than a reel that has a small spool but a high ratio. If you are looking for a well rounded reel thats suitable for most aplications, the 6.4.1 ratios are best. If you mostly fish jigs or plastic baits, you may want a 7.1.1 so that you can get the bait back fast and make less cranks of the reel over a long day. If you fish big cranks or just want a reel that turns slow for big spinner baits, then you want a 5.1.1 or smaller.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-11, 09:56 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro reel View Post
There are 2 seperate factors that work together, gear ratio and line retrieve. Both should be considered if you have a specific goal in mind. Gear ratio is actually very simple. The main gear which is large turns the pinion gear which is small. The pinion gear turns the spool. The main gear turns one full revolution each time the handle turns one revolution. The smaller pinion gear turns several times before the handle finishes one full revolution. This works just like the gears on a bike. The main gear on a bike is hooked to the pedal and you could consider that the pinion gear is like the rear sprocket. The spool or in the analogy, the rear wheel is turning much faster because the small gear is making several revolutions. If you have a 7.1.1 ratio reel, that means the spool will turn 7.1 revolutions each time the handle makes one revolution. A 5.1.1 will turn 5.1 times. That controls speed, but it also controls some power. The smaller a ratio is, the easier it is to turn under a load. Just like a 10 speed bike, the 1st speed is slow, but easy to pedal, the high speed is fast, but takes more energy to pedal. In a fishing reel, the difference is almost not noticable unless you use big crankbaits that have a lot of resitence. For those baits, a slow reel like a 5.1.1 will be easier to use all day than a 7.1.1 would. If speed of retrieve is the concern, then you must also consider the line retieve rate or the IPT, inchs per turn. This is governed by the dimension of the spool and the amount of line on the spool. The bigger the outside dimension of the spool, the more line it will take in each time the spool makes a revolution. therefore, you can have a 5.1.1 ratio reel with a big spool that actually retrieves baits faster than a reel that has a small spool but a high ratio. If you are looking for a well rounded reel thats suitable for most aplications, the 6.4.1 ratios are best. If you mostly fish jigs or plastic baits, you may want a 7.1.1 so that you can get the bait back fast and make less cranks of the reel over a long day. If you fish big cranks or just want a reel that turns slow for big spinner baits, then you want a 5.1.1 or smaller.
Well I was going to make a post on this thread but I don't think anyone can explain the mechanics of a reel any better than this. Great post Kevin, it's nice having you on this site.
Old 01-26-11, 10:30 PM   #4
cotton
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks alot Pro Reel great post and easy to understand
Old 01-26-11, 10:34 PM   #5
nofearengineer

Just remember that the spool diameter and the "stroke" of the handle also have to be factored into the "effective gear ratio." To talk about a particular gear ratio is meaningless until these are factored in.

For instance, a high gear ratio would still retrieve deep diving cranks easily if the handle throw was large and the spool diameter was small.

And a low ratio reel might have more trouble trouble with deep cranks if the handle was small or the spool was large.

It's all about torque.

This is maybe a more advanced analysis than a beginner needs, but it's all true.
Old 01-27-11, 01:35 AM   #6
Rebbasser

The area where gear ratio really makes a diference is throwing crankbaits. The deeper/bigger the bait the lower GR you want. Throwing a big bait like a DD-22 on a high speed GR like a 6.3;1 will flat wear you out. I'm good for about 5 casts and that is it. For those big bruisers I use a 4.7:1. It is like the GR on your car. Low gear has more torque and less speed, where D has higher speed and less torque. For lipless crankbaits like a Rat-L-Trap I use a 7.1:1 reel. Very little drag with these bats so speed is not a problem, and they seem to catch more fish at high speed.

Any other type bait the GR is not near as critical, and several-like soft plastics-don't use the reel at all. You fish them with the rod, not the reel.

If I had to choose one gear ratio I would go with a 5.2:1. It is kind of in between fast and slow and will fish most baits well.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-27-11, 11:13 PM   #7
carolina-rig-01

I use a 7.1:1 gear ratio for a lot of applications. Like Reb I prefer this ratio for lipless crankbaits. I also use it for jigs, Texas rigs, Carolina rigs, flipping and pitching, and any other situation where I might need to reel up a lot of line fast for reasons like a fish picking up a bait and swimming at the boat or needing to get the bait in real fast so I can make another pitch to a target.

I use a 6.4:1 gear ratio for almost any other application. I like it for spinnerbaits, small crankbaits, walking baits like Spooks or Pop R's, and any other situation that I need a middle of the road gear ratio that I can easily slow down or speed up to cover different situations.

I use a 5.4:1 gear ratio for deep diving crankbaits. Like was mentioned above, this slower gear ratio will take a lot of the sting out of fishing deep divers.
Old 01-27-11, 11:52 PM   #8
cotton
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks again you guys have been a great help. And Carolina-rig... Hopefully you have that cold weather out of Missouri, headed there in a week to see the folks and im sure not looking forward to any snow!
Old 01-28-11, 12:16 AM   #9
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotton View Post
Thanks again you guys have been a great help. And Carolina-rig... Hopefully you have that cold weather out of Missouri, headed there in a week to see the folks and im sure not looking forward to any snow!
What part of the state are you coming to? No snow on the groud right now. In fact it's supposed to be pretty mild through the weekend. But as I am typing this I heard the weather man say that winter might be returning next week.
Old 01-28-11, 07:56 PM   #10
cotton
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
What part of the state are you coming to? No snow on the groud right now. In fact it's supposed to be pretty mild through the weekend. But as I am typing this I heard the weather man say that winter might be returning next week.
Moberly, Mo. Its about 40miles north up hwy63 from Columbia.. It never fails seems like every time I come back home to visit its blazing hot or snowing.
Old 01-29-11, 03:17 AM   #11
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotton View Post
Moberly, Mo. Its about 40miles north up hwy63 from Columbia.. It never fails seems like every time I come back home to visit its blazing hot or snowing.
I am affraid that you will encounter some winter weather while you are here. They are calling for some snow and ice Monday and Tuesday for our part of the state so I would imagine that north of us could at least expect the same thing.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.