Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-10, 07:56 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default What are some of your.....

What are some of the things you would consider to be among the MOST important fishing lessons you learned in 2010? Here are a few of mine to get us started.
Never eat Payday candy bars in a boat. Those peanuts are always falling off and getting lodged somewhere you can't reach them. Especially in a Jonboat where they always land in one of those ribs and roll under a floor brace. Next to imposible to get it out.
Never try to launch a jonboat in the dark of night without raising the trolling motor first.
NEVER laugh when your wife looses her first bass of the day after 6 hours of fruitless casting and very little sleep the night before!!!
NEVER jokingly tell the game warden when he asks for your fishing license, "try and catch me"!!!
Always make sure the hot looking babe sunbathing on the pier is NOT family of your fishing partner.
Always make sure everyone in the boat is sitting down before you decide to "gunnit".
ALWAYS tell your wife your sooo sorry and will take her out to dinner to the restaurant of her choice and anything else she wants while fishing her out of the lake after deciding to "gunnit".

Last edited by keithdog; 12-27-10 at 11:37 PM.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-10, 09:52 PM   #2
Dave63
BassFishin.Com Active Member

As soon as you open the peanut package, or a pop, it'll be time to move.
When it gets dark, the peanuts will wind up upside down behind the seat 100% of the time.
If you've only got 2 or 3 of a certain color of worm, that's the one you will need the most of.
You will need the net deployed after dark when it's put away.
Every time you launch there will be somebody there that has a boat that will not run for one reason or another.
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-10, 11:09 PM   #3
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The bigger fish are always hitting someone elses line.
As soon as you put your rod down to take a drink something hits the lure you left halfway to the boat.
Don't sit down on the bank even if it doesn't look like poison ivy.
Don't believe the weatherman.
Remember to fully charge the troll battery.
Sometimes 4 rods are to many bank fishing.
Old 12-27-10, 11:32 PM   #4
MississippiBoy

The channel is smaller than you think...be sure to stay right in the middle if it when on plane.
The fishing was ALWAYS better the weekend before.
That item, whatever it is, WILL most likely blow out of the boat. The chances of this increase proportionally with how necessary that item is, as well as its cost.
The wind will be blowing the wrong way.
Always bring toilet paper.
Never trust a fart.
Old 12-27-10, 11:43 PM   #5
bcklash

Every fish I lost in 2010 weighed 8lbs
The best pattern is the kini pattern--I only fish docks with women in bikinis laying on them.
And last but not least every rod, reel and lure was 1/2 price or the BassinBandit bought it
Old 12-28-10, 12:37 AM   #6
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcklash View Post
Every fish I lost in 2010 weighed 8lbs
Hahaha, you too huh?
Old 12-28-10, 08:19 AM   #7
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Its hard to catch fish when you don't go fishing.
The fishing is always better before you and after you go.
The perch bite is on in Lake Michigan at a completely different time from Lake Erie, so don't plan a trip to Michigan based on how the fish are biting on Erie.
Trips to BPS are always cheaper when you're with someone because you can sneak lures you want to buy into their cart.
Winter sucks, but ice fishing is still better than not fishing.
Always use an accurate ruler/scale like the one pictured:

And something I learned this year that won't apply till next: Canadian fishing licenses are expensive.

BB
Old 12-28-10, 11:02 AM   #8
Ebbetsguy

When you approach a swim platform, and their is an attactive lady sunbathing,bikini string undone, laying face down. Break into a hearty rendition of the Star Spangled Banner, if she is patriotic she will stand up!
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-10, 12:06 PM   #9
WaffleJaw

Keep letting my wife believe that Southwestern reel and repair is an auto shop.
(She thought my receipt she found was for new tires)
Bcklash- They are always 8lbs!!.....Snags and break offs are 10lbs easy.
Fish still dont live in trees.
Dead raccoons do not count as a new PB....Unless,your hungry ....and make it a PB&J
Old 12-28-10, 05:17 PM   #10
fish4942

• I learned that the bigger fish are actually in the tree branches and weeds that I’ve avoided my whole life when fishing.
  • I learned how to pitch and flip said branches, weeds, and under bridges and docks.
  • I learned that there actually fish under said branches, weeds, bridges and docks.
  • I learned that the more you visit your local fishing tackle store and have fishing conversations with the sales reps, the more they don’t try and sell you anything to just to make a sale.
  • I learned that slip bobbers are pretty clever bobbers. I grew up using the spring loaded bobbers.
  • I learned that Bill Dance doesn’t show any bass less than 3lbs that he’s caught on his show. His are always hogs and lunkers.
  • I learned that Bill Dance really does like to watch his fish swim before he lands them.
  • I learned that the older gentlemen that are always on the pier fishing for crappie no matter when I go really are retired and that’s what they do all day every day.
  • I learned that you don’t have to use 2-4lb test to be successful at crappie fishing. Your 10lb test works just fine.
  • I learned that having a boat really is an advantage as the boaters will hog the banks and hit the deep water while I may need Tommie John surgery to repair my elbow from 100’s of casts trying to get my lure to deeper water from the bank.
  • I (my brother) learned that the game warden really means the lake is closing when he gives you a warning that the lake is closing and you need to exit immediately.
fish4942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-10, 07:17 PM   #11
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
The perch bite is on in Lake Michigan at a completely different time from Lake Erie, so don't plan a trip to Michigan based on how the fish are biting on Erie.
Trips to BPS are always cheaper when you're with someone because you can sneak lures you want to buy into their cart.

And something I learned this year that won't apply till next: Canadian fishing licenses are expensive.

BB
hahaha, love that ruler, gotta get me one.
Old 12-28-10, 07:19 PM   #12
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafflejaw View Post
keep letting my wife believe that southwestern reel and repair is an auto shop.
(she thought my receipt she found was for new tires)
bcklash- they are always 8lbs!!.....snags and break offs are 10lbs easy.
Fish still dont live in trees.
Dead raccoons do not count as a new pb....unless,your hungry ....and make it a pb&j
halarious!!! :d
Old 12-28-10, 08:02 PM   #13
woody

Make sure to tighten the drag back down on your rod, BEFORE you hook into one of those, "I swear it was an 8lber!"

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-10, 09:38 PM   #14
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Waff, I hope it wasn't a reciept for Z-Rated Corvetter tires, whew.
I learned from a game warden that the styrofoam "Deer Chair" is not an approved PFD.
I learned from the same GW that they will not let you borrow their's for the mean time.
+1 on the drag. My problem was winching it down to remove a lash, and then forgetting to turn it back down before setting and breaking on the magical beast beneath.
1/16 - 1/8 bullet weights sting when struck by them, 3/8 and up hurt.
Old 12-28-10, 09:45 PM   #15
bassboogieman

Never, NEVER, allow your slow-witted, big-footed, dumber than a freakin' lead sinker Son-in-law on the front deck of your boat when it's strewn with several high dollar rods.
And if you do - REMEMBER, murder is stlill illegal in most states. Insanity is the only state in which you may win aquittal - but it's still iffy.....................
And HONESTLY - I DIDN'T know he couldn't swim........................ until after he hit the water.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-10, 10:07 PM   #16
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post

BB
Bama needs this ruler, his dinks then become..........bigger dinks
Old 12-28-10, 10:14 PM   #17
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
Waff, I hope it wasn't a reciept for Z-Rated Corvetter tires, whew.
I learned from a game warden that the styrofoam "Deer Chair" is not an approved PFD.
I learned from the same GW that they will not let you borrow their's for the mean time.
+1 on the drag. My problem was winching it down to remove a lash, and then forgetting to turn it back down before setting and breaking on the magical beast beneath.
1/16 - 1/8 bullet weights sting when struck by them, 3/8 and up hurt.
That ain't no lie!!!!!
Old 12-29-10, 01:43 AM   #18
cassidyta

An extension cord and charger offer no resistance when you are pulling the boat out of the drive way. The same 25' extension cord is 6' in length when you reach the lake.

Deck straps are useless if you sit your rods on top of them rather than putting the strap on top of the rod.

Water can enter the boat via the drain plug much faster than it can exit the same plug.

Lures that break off in mid-cast can fly further than if you had shot them from a cannon.

Fish don't do well if you do not add water to the livewell.

All fishing line is magically stronger when you actually want to break it.

Never give your house phone number, or any other number your wife might answer as a call back to any fishing related purchase on craigslist.

All fish are bigger in the livewell than at weigh in.

Most tournaments are won with the one bait/color I had but never threw.

Your non-fishing friends and family will never understand.
Old 12-29-10, 01:53 AM   #19
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Hey Cass, what's your number hahahahaha
Old 12-29-10, 02:01 AM   #20
cassidyta

Nope, not gonna fall for it
Old 12-29-10, 10:45 AM   #21
Tavery5

Things I learned this year.

The Abu Garcia Vendetta Rod does not float, and on that note, neither did my sunglasses
The Transducer for my fish finder works allot better when it is not being chewed to shreds by my trolling motor.
Crankbait hooks look allot bigger when they are flying at your face after being jerked out of snags.
Cell phones dont work well under water (see item 1)
Its always best to install the plug into your boat before you put it in the water.
Fish don't care if your bait cost 2$ or 20$ they like what they like.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-10, 12:59 PM   #22
WTL

Don't mess with lightning and rainstorms. Even if you dont get struck, you might as I did get soaked and scared. I actually had so much lightning around I threw the anchor into a bush on the side of the river, below a dam, and jumped out of the boat and ran away. Glad the boat was still there an hour later, and that God is merciful and patient with idiots.

The kayak is much cheaper than the big boat, and can get you much more time on the water. There is an added bonus that it puts you where the big boats dont go. And you can always have it ready for a few hours if you want.

Don't take fishing opportunities for granted. All it takes is one oil rig explosion to wreck a summer. And consider yourself lucky; that it did not wreck it forever.
Old 12-29-10, 01:57 PM   #23
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Don't mess with lightning and rainstorms. Even if you dont get struck, you might as I did get soaked and scared. I actually had so much lightning around I threw the anchor into a bush on the side of the river, below a dam, and jumped out of the boat and ran away. Glad the boat was still there an hour later, and that God is merciful and patient with idiots.
Boats never float away when unattended, right?

In 2010, I learned:

Using downriggers is much harder than it looks.

Yes, it can indeed be too hot to fish.

The local DNR agents are either totally corrupt or have the shortest memory on the planet.

My cash expenditure per fish would make a U.S. Congressman blush.
Old 12-29-10, 06:54 PM   #24
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Never, NEVER, allow your slow-witted, big-footed, dumber than a freakin' lead sinker Son-in-law on the front deck of your boat when it's strewn with several high dollar rods.
And if you do - REMEMBER, murder is stlill illegal in most states. Insanity is the only state in which you may win aquittal - but it's still iffy.....................
And HONESTLY - I DIDN'T know he couldn't swim........................ until after he hit the water.
HAHAHA, Thats halarious if not also a bit sad, lol
Old 12-29-10, 06:56 PM   #25
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
An extension cord and charger offer no resistance when you are pulling the boat out of the drive way. The same 25' extension cord is 6' in length when you reach the lake.

Deck straps are useless if you sit your rods on top of them rather than putting the strap on top of the rod.

Water can enter the boat via the drain plug much faster than it can exit the same plug.

Lures that break off in mid-cast can fly further than if you had shot them from a cannon.

Fish don't do well if you do not add water to the livewell.

All fishing line is magically stronger when you actually want to break it.

Never give your house phone number, or any other number your wife might answer as a call back to any fishing related purchase on craigslist.

All fish are bigger in the livewell than at weigh in.

Most tournaments are won with the one bait/color I had but never threw.

Your non-fishing friends and family will never understand.
hahaha, these are great. And your absolutely right about the line strength!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.