Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-11, 07:19 PM   #1
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Respooling a spinning reel

I was here in the garage putting new line on all my rods and I began to wonder why do I fill the spinning reel? I will usually replace line every 5-6 weeks or sooner if needed. I can not think of a time when any of my bass spinning rigs got down to the spool.
I do know that my bait casters do not cast as far with a half spool, but will it affect a spinning reel the same? I can see how I may see more friction on the spool with less line, but I am not sure how much it will matter.
At the end of the day, I am just trying to save some money. Throwing away 100 yards of fluoro is getting old.
Does anyone else not fill their spinning reels? Has anyone tried it and decided it was a bad idea.
Old 01-23-11, 07:49 PM   #2
johnD
BassFishin.Com Member

why not just peel off about 75-85 yards and tie a uni to uni knot , no need to refill the whole spool every time.
I think it does make a difference if you under spool any reel.
johnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-11, 12:05 AM   #3
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

A spinning reel will not cast worth a darn if the line gets low. The friction increases dramatically the lower the level gets. To save line, only replace the section you use. Tie a good knot and put a small drop of super glue on the knot. It will never slip and it will not break if a fish ever took enough line to get the knot off the spool.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-11, 02:40 AM   #4
islandbass

If there were a place to cut corners, this one would not be it. Both reel types will serve you better when they're filled to optimum capacity. I am in your boat with regard to economics. I run a 60/40 with one of my reels with fc, mono to fluro. The first 60 is mono that will never see the light of day or battle and and the upper 40 is my fc. I get more of my fc itilized doing this and I am definitely with you on that same waste.

The only "down" side if it is one, is when the fc starts to get low, depending on the joining knot, it might get caught up on a guide on the cast. I can live with that until I can fill her up at home.
Old 01-24-11, 03:41 AM   #5
cassidyta

Thanks guys. I will experiment with backing next time. This rod has 4lbs test and the knot was an issue with me the last time I did it.
Old 01-24-11, 01:41 PM   #6
johnD
BassFishin.Com Member

A uni to uni is very small , trim it up tight , put it down far enough and you'll never see it , until its time to re-spool , no glue is needed.
Old 01-24-11, 02:04 PM   #7
cassidyta

I'll give uni to uni a shot next time I respool. I always go with albright but the knot has caused me spool issues on small line.
Old 01-24-11, 02:24 PM   #8
everettvet

Last year I started using cajun red mono for all my backing. It is cheap to use and I can see when my fluoro or braid is getting close to the backing. In the years before using the red line as the year went on, I would wonder how much line was left before the knot and this helps a bunch.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-11, 02:55 PM   #9
pro reel

If you tie a good knot, you will not need to use glue. I use glue anyway. I use a tiny drop of super glue and then spread it with a tooth pick. That allows me to trim the tag ends very very close. I have tested these glued and trimmed knots for break strength and it always breaks the line above or below the knot. It takes just a few seconds and then I let it dry a few minutes before I crank the rest of the line over it. I know it's not really needed, if you get a good knot, but I don't understand why so many folks are always quick to say you don't need to do that or shouldn't do that. For me, it's just added insurance that the knot will never slip won't break and can be trimmed tighter to avoid forming a bump on the spool. You can also use less turns around the main line when using glue, so the knot is even smaller.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-11, 09:44 PM   #10
johnD
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro reel View Post
If you tie a good knot, you will not need to use glue. I use glue anyway. I use a tiny drop of super glue and then spread it with a tooth pick. That allows me to trim the tag ends very very close. I have tested these glued and trimmed knots for break strength and it always breaks the line above or below the knot. It takes just a few seconds and then I let it dry a few minutes before I crank the rest of the line over it. I know it's not really needed, if you get a good knot, but I don't understand why so many folks are always quick to say you don't need to do that or shouldn't do that. For me, it's just added insurance that the knot will never slip won't break and can be trimmed tighter to avoid forming a bump on the spool. You can also use less turns around the main line when using glue, so the knot is even smaller.

If it gives you confidence go for it..But its not needed on correctly tied knots.Super glue is a cyanoacrylate adhesive, it cures exothermically, that gives off heat, and is brittle after its cured.simply put its not the best thing to put on monofilament.
Old 01-26-11, 11:22 AM   #11
DVT Mike
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Any reel regardless of design should be fully spooled to maximize performance. Over spooling is equally as bad. I use backing on almost all by bass fishing reels. It saves money and time on re-spooling. I usually keep about 2 1/2 full length casts worth of good line on the spool.
Old 01-26-11, 12:26 PM   #12
dave
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Go to Kevin's video section right on this very site...
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-11, 01:39 AM   #13
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

This is the best video I have seen regarding spooling a spinning reel. Kevin did a GREAT job:

http://www.bassfishin.com/fishing-vi...g-reel-twists/
Old 01-27-11, 02:14 PM   #14
Basscat7
BassFishin.Com Member

I only use spinning gear for short pitches to docks, grass edges ,etc. Rarely throw more than 20 feet from the boat with it.
I fish a lot of tx's and change the spinning line before each Tx.

Instead of tieing a uni knot to backing, I peeled off about 20 yards of line and then put a nice thin layer of tape over the remaining line on the spool.
This allows me to change out the line for each tx without wasting $$$$.

Starts each Tx with fresh line, no twist, etc.

Been doing this at least ten years and have never come close to running out the 20 yards on the reel.
You can see in the pic the tape on the line , it basically runs the spool into a shallow fill spool and you tie directly to the spool.

Basscat7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-11, 02:16 PM   #15
cassidyta

Thanks Cat,
I was considering something similar to that. However, I have been known to drop shot in 80' of water so I may do it but with more line.
Old 01-27-11, 02:59 PM   #16
Embrey

why are you changing line so much? i used mine all year and havent had it break yet?
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-11, 03:25 PM   #17
cassidyta

I am throwing 4lbs fluoro and I drop shot a lot. I don't have it break too often, but I find that it becomes brittle after a couple of months.
I may be chaning more often then I need, but for my tournament fishing, I don't want to take a chance.
Old 01-27-11, 06:07 PM   #18
Embrey

i keep mine inside or covered at all times when its not on the deck of the boat. ive noticed sunlight has a really bad effect on line the hard way.not sure if maybe thats what happened to you though. but i also dont use 4 lb ever. thats just asking for it,lol.
Old 01-27-11, 06:20 PM   #19
cassidyta

I use it most of the time but will go all the way upto 6..lol
I keep mine inside when not fishing, but don't have a rod locker so it is always on the deck of the boat.
I can't say that I have really had too many breakoffs, but when it gets to the place where I am losing confidence then I change it out.
Old 01-27-11, 08:46 PM   #20
Basscat7
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embrey View Post
why are you changing line so much? i used mine all year and havent had it break yet?
If you fish enough, and fish fast there is no way you are going to use spinning line more than a couple tournaments before it gets to the point of being counterproductive to the presentation.
You cannot avoid imparting line twist to a spinning reel, laying line on a stationary spool is always going to leave the line with a twist.
Big fish pulling drag impart a ton of line twist also.
Once the line gets too twisted, even after several times of laying the line out and letting it straighten out it is too annoying to work with and will start to affect pin point pitches with a senko to targets.

I find it cheaper to change out the shorter spool of line than chance losing a big fish or missing an opportunity at a cast where a big fish may be, costing me more money in potential tournament winnings.
Old 01-30-11, 01:33 AM   #21
Embrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basscat7 View Post
If you fish enough, and fish fast there is no way you are going to use spinning line more than a couple tournaments before it gets to the point of being counterproductive to the presentation.
You cannot avoid imparting line twist to a spinning reel, laying line on a stationary spool is always going to leave the line with a twist.
Big fish pulling drag impart a ton of line twist also.
Once the line gets too twisted, even after several times of laying the line out and letting it straighten out it is too annoying to work with and will start to affect pin point pitches with a senko to targets.

I find it cheaper to change out the shorter spool of line than chance losing a big fish or missing an opportunity at a cast where a big fish may be, costing me more money in potential tournament winnings.
i fish ...ALOT...lol
Old 01-30-11, 10:59 AM   #22
Basscat7
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embrey View Post
i fish ...ALOT...lol
Not enough if you are not getting line twist to the point of it making the line unusable on a spinning reel
Old 01-31-11, 12:55 AM   #23
Embrey

well, if i fish anymore,ill have to find a way to make money doing it...lol. i get the occasional tangle as most do, but i usually get them out and go back at it. i dont use a spinning reel at all times of the year though. mainly winter,and when fishing finesse stuff.
Old 02-03-11, 01:25 AM   #24
FishinFreak
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by everettvet View Post
Last year I started using cajun red mono for all my backing. It is cheap to use and I can see when my fluoro or braid is getting close to the backing. In the years before using the red line as the year went on, I would wonder how much line was left before the knot and this helps a bunch.
I think that's a great idea. I'm gonna try that.
FishinFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-11, 10:58 AM   #25
IAFrogger
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by everettvet View Post
That is a great idea! ..... I may just have to try using another color backing....
IAFrogger is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.