Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-05, 10:09 PM   #1
Bass Man
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Flipping

Can someone tell me what the flipping technique is and how to do it. Thanks.

Bass Man
Bass Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-05, 10:28 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Sure I flip out all the time lol

Take your baitcaster and loosen the line drop till it freespools and also loosen the brake a tad, to allow the bait to swoop to your target as your thumb the spool to slow it down.
I take the bait in my one hand, the rod is in the other hand, lower the rod tip and raise it quickly as you let go of the bait.
The purpose of this flipping is to quietly enter your lure into the water , so not to spook the fish.
Its usually done anywhere from a few feet away from the targeted area, to 10-15-20 feet out.
It takes practise, try in your back yard trying to hit a plate or bucket, or frisbee
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-05, 07:06 AM   #3
PowerBass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

JB that is pitchin, flippin, is when you take line with your other hand and pull out till you have say 10 or so feet and can hold it carefully then use a pendulum type cast. It is designed for 10-12 ft casting or less.
Old 07-26-05, 08:33 AM   #4
JB

not necessarily,

Sure , you can pull the line back that is already out and swing it in, but I flip as I stated above.
The nusiance of doing it your way mentioned way is the line has a tendancy to get hung up on the reel handle.
I have flipped and pitched for many years , my deciding factor is a pitch is probably used to swing it in from a greater distance.
Watch the pros, you dont see that many that let line out and pull it back with the hand time after time, for one thing if you have a lot of line out and the bass hits the jig as soon as you hit the water, you have to reel in that line before you can get a good hookset. I prefer to reel it back to my hand, and flip it each time.
Flipping is a technique that I generally reserve for extremely heavy cover. You use the same rod and reel for flipping as for pitching...just at closer quarters. Flipping basically means to get right on top of the fish and drop the bait on their head. Some people have rules for when to flip versus pitch, such as the rule that you should flip rather than pitch in dark-colored water. Well, I do not pay attention to anything like that. My only rule is to prefer pitching and avoid flipping regardless of water color or anything else. However, there is some heavy cover that is so difficult to reach that you just cannot pitch to it. In these cases, I will work the boat so far up into the cover that I just have no idea how I will ever back out of it. Sometimes, I am poking the rod through a quagmire of reeds or tree limbs so thick that all I can do is open the bail and drop the lure straight down. Again, specialized spinning gear makes this easier. There are some unreal critters lurking in this stuff. Just one word of caution I want to give you. Do not try to thin out some of this cover to make it easier for you to fish. Remember, the bass are back in that nasty stuff for a reason. Do not break off any branches or uproot any reeds. Most times, you will only ruin the fish-holding properties of the spot if you do that. Besides, you will clue other anglers like me into your honey holes when I see broken tree limbs and reeds there!
Old 07-26-05, 08:51 AM   #5
PowerBass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

O, I am sorry I didnt get what you said the first time, it was described like pitching, but now you cleared it up. Our boat should be on the water next month or so, and I cant wait to try pitchin and flippin from a boat.
Old 07-26-05, 09:23 AM   #6
JB

Its really alot easier on a boat, the distance to the target is usually closer, plus you have the added space from your feet to the water line to dip that rod down and get a good upswing.. You'll luv it

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.