Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-27-12, 07:55 PM   #1
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default I had the funniest thing happen lastnight.

Lastnight Britney and I went night fishing at Stockton Lake which is about an hour north of us. Around 11:00 we were fishing down this bank and had all the lights off and would just turn on the running lights if we had a boat running in our area, I guess the late night was catching up with us because we were both being really quiet and not talking at all. Anyways I was fishing a Texas rigged 10" Powerworm down this pea gravel bank. I felt a "tap tap" and as I took the slack out of the line it felt heavy so I set the hook. I thought right off the bat that it felt odd but everytime I stopped reeling and leaned into the fish it felt like a fish was pulling back. Anyone who has ever got a bait caught up on old fishing line knows that it can feel like a fish but it usually has a certain feel about it and you can usually tell that it's just fishing line. Anyways as I continued to fight this fish it started feeling more like I was just pulling in some old line but I was still feeling it pull back. About the time I thought I maybe caught some line that was maybe broke off by a fish that was still hooked my Powerworm was at my rod tip and then I heard a loud splash next to the boat and then everything stopped. Then I was looking into the darkness on the bank trying to figure out what happened. About that time I heard a guys voice up on the bank telling his wife how his fish just got off. It turns out that this guy and his wife were sitting up there catfishing and I had caught his line. The "tap tap" I was feeling was his weight being drug across the bottom and then when I set the hook he thought he had a bite so he set the hook, which was what felt like a fish pulling back and then the big splash I heard at the side of the boat must have been his weight falling back into the water after his line popped loose. We had slipped in under the cover of darkness and with the lights being turned off he had no clue we were there. So I tried to be as quiet as I could when I was laughing but I had tears running down my face as I listened to that guy try to figure out what just happened. Then as we were about out of hearing distance I heard his wife say "I think there is a boat over there" Hahaha I have been night fishing my whole life and that is the first time anything like that has ever happened to me.

As soon as it was over I was laughing and told Britney that we had a "Little Rascals deal going on". She didn't know what I was talking about but anyone who rememers the scene where Buckwheat and Porky were fishing off the dock and caught each others line will see the humor in it.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.