Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-11, 01:20 PM   #1
BassNewbie
BassFishin.Com Member

Default More Questions on bank fishing

Well guys as its currently cold (not that its going to stop me ) i do have more time to reflect on last year (first year fishing ever). And I know where my weak points are right now. Finding the fish.

When i get lucky enough to stumble on a spot the fish are, i dont really seem to have any problem hookem up. But finding those spots are still a big problem for me.

Ive done alot of reading and know about points, looking for cover and structure. But alot of it eludes me from shore. I dont have a boat so I cant cast too far out into the deeper water. I also have no depth finder, so I cant just cruise till I see fish. Also I have no idea what the bottom looks like except for what I can cast too and guess by how the bottom feels.

Ive been skunked my last 6 trips out to various lakes. I think its mostly because the fish are just out deep and I just cant get the bait out that far to them.

But can anybody out there give a ground pounder some more info/tips on fishing from shore. The best I can seem to do is start from a point and cover the area the best I can, then walk to another point, and if I see any good cover on the way try that. But so so far its not working.

I had a good 4 trips in a row right before summer got hot, but once it got really hot out (California here) I have yet to catch a fish all the way till now.

How big a part of it is the presentation of the bait coming back towards shore as oppossed to out towards open water like from a boat? Ive been really thinking of getting into Kayak fishing, but im just the kind of guy who doesnt want to just think a boat is the answer. I want to be able to catch fish from both, since its easier to bank fish with buddies than get convince another to get a kayak too.

Thanks Guys.

Dave
BassNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-11, 01:28 PM   #2
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

First thing you should do fishing in the colder weather is slow your presentation way down and when you think it is slow enough back off a little bit more . What type of bodies of water are you fishing ? Lakes , Ponds ? Being shore bound I would say to look into smaller lakes or larger ponds that you can walk around in one trip .

Jim
Old 01-29-11, 03:43 PM   #3
BassNewbie
BassFishin.Com Member

The 2 places I have been fishing the most would I guess be classified between a Large pond and small lake. Both you could walk all the way around in under an hour.

Lately since its cold Ive been trying alot more shaky heads, wacky rigged worms, and super slow crawling jigs.

However Ive been having this same "cant find the fish" problem even in the summer, when cranks, swim jigs, spinners, and slower techniques didnt work. Only thing I could fish on this year was drop-shot rigs with curly tail worms being slow slow slow worked.
BassNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-11, 07:25 PM   #4
walkeraviator

How much pressure doe sthis lake get and how clear is the water? Is it spring fed?
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-11, 08:45 PM   #5
Marty

Many shore fishermen get better results by fishing roughly parallel to the shore rather than by casting straight out, but try both until you determine the best method for a given body of water.

My personal preference is to cover as much water as possible and not stay too long in one spot. If you fish a particular pond/lake often enough you can learn which spots are good and bad, even though you might not know why those spots are either good or bad.

Get out as often as you can and try being there at higher percentage times, such as early mornings, late evenings and overcast days.

I've spent much of my fishing life fishing from the bank and it can be incredibly frustrating and also incredibly satisfying. Unfortunately, I've seen the quality of the shore fishing deteriorate over the years in a number of my places. If there are private ponds in your area, I'd try to gain access to them, although good fishing can be had from some public waters.

Good luck.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-11, 09:14 PM   #6
ragman
BassFishin.Com Member

Depending on what your shore line bottom looks like and the depth it might pay you to get a good pair of 12" * 14" *16" rubber water proof boots and step off the bank into the lake.This extra distance from the bank will help you make much better parallel casts. Also this little and sometimes lots of distance from the bank will give you the room to not tangle up in trees and bushes along bank as your rod makes the back swing of your cast. It will also reduce your silhouette presented to the fish by being lower in the water.
ragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-11, 09:20 PM   #7
WaffleJaw

As a professional bank ninja...I say stick to your smaller water...Cold weather bassing can be great if you can get out on the creeks breaking off the main lakes...My have to walk a bit,but i could be a good pay off...In my area the crappie and sandbass move into the creeks chasing shad and getting ready for spawn at this time...Big bass follow right behind...A slower presentation is a must as bass will be lethargic from the colder water slowing down their metabolism..And chasing fast prey will be less likely to work.
I stick to lure with tight wobbles and plastics with taperd tails,or straight tails.
I also like using google map to locate small ponds and reservoirs near my area...You be amazed what you can find around you and some of these places can produce great bass!...A heavy spinnerbait can be a great way to cover alot of water and find cover on the bottom by deflecting off it.
Another toy,Ive yet to try but would love to is the Smartcastast from Humminbird which allows bank fisherman to have a depthfinder....

http://store.humminbird.com/category...artCast_Series

Just because we aint rockin bass rigs doesnt mean we have to miss out on great fishing....We just have to be a little more creative!
Good luck
Old 01-30-11, 10:48 AM   #8
HarveysMinnow
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassNewbie View Post
Well guys as its currently cold (not that its going to stop me ) i do have more time to reflect on last year (first year fishing ever). And I know where my weak points are right now. Finding the fish.

When i get lucky enough to stumble on a spot the fish are, i dont really seem to have any problem hookem up. But finding those spots are still a big problem for me.
I've had the same problems as you describe while bank fishing, and I guess many others have also. Maybe I'm overstating the obvious, but I'll ask this question anyway:

Do you know for sure that these lakes/ponds actually contain Bass? If you have caught Bass from these locations during warm weather, then you know for sure they are in there. But some small lakes and ponds have never been stocked and if they were just scooped out and left to fill with rain water, they may not contain any Bass. Little lakes that were formed by damming a small stream would be more likely to have native Bass in them, and probably adequate bait fish also.

Old 01-30-11, 01:03 PM   #9
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassNewbie View Post
The 2 places I have been fishing the most would I guess be classified between a Large pond and small lake. Both you could walk all the way around in under an hour.

Lately since its cold Ive been trying alot more shaky heads, wacky rigged worms, and super slow crawling jigs.

However Ive been having this same "cant find the fish" problem even in the summer, when cranks, swim jigs, spinners, and slower techniques didnt work. Only thing I could fish on this year was drop-shot rigs with curly tail worms being slow slow slow worked.
Another thing I would suggest is to pick up a pair of waders to get yourself off of the bank a bit . And another thing is fish your area thoroughly , don't just toss a couple casts out there and then move on or switch baits . Look for the areas heavy with lilly pads or weeds and spend some good time on them and any areas where there are trees growing down into the water or stumps sticking up .

Jim
Old 01-30-11, 02:22 PM   #10
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveysMinnow View Post
I've had the same problems as you describe while bank fishing, and I guess many others have also. Maybe I'm overstating the obvious, but I'll ask this question anyway:

Do you know for sure that these lakes/ponds actually contain Bass? If you have caught Bass from these locations during warm weather, then you know for sure they are in there. But some small lakes and ponds have never been stocked and if they were just scooped out and left to fill with rain water, they may not contain any Bass. Little lakes that were formed by damming a small stream would be more likely to have native Bass in them, and probably adequate bait fish also.

A good question to ask,but I hear of alot of guys that enjoy taking upon themselves to stock some of these ponds/gravel pits...They want a place to fish near by ,so they bring bass,crappie,etc from the main lakes and toss em in their ponds near home..Probably not at all legal,but they do it....Kinda like golf course ponds....They were made on the course for water hazards,but people rave about the great fishing out of them..The course may pay for them to be stocked for algae/grass control..I really dont know but seems odd to stock bass?
These corporate buildings that have ponds in front of them...Ive caught bass out of them too..How did they get there?
Old 01-30-11, 06:41 PM   #11
Mac2

I've heard that wading birds such as herons and smaller birds get fish eggs stuck to their legs and when they wade about looking for minnows, the eggs wash off. Someone once told me it's impossible to have a pond without eventually getting fish.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-11, 07:59 AM   #12
woody

Hey Dave, if at all possible I would target the north side of the pond. Typically the water temps there should be few degrees warmer, because of its exposure and angle to the sun's warming rays. I would also recommend looking for cover that has the ability to retain more heat, such as large chunk rock or riprap, just to name a few. Hope this helps.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-11, 11:03 AM   #13
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

First thing I would do is try to find a topo map of the lake your fishing. I doubt with their small size that there is one, but it's worth looking into. If you can get one, it will tell you what the bottom contour is like. Also, I would like to second the previously mentioned suggestions about knee high boots and waders! You won't believe how this will aid you in being able to cast parallel to the shoreline which is extremely helpfull. You'll be able to work around and in front of laydowns, brush, lilly pads, and so on. All those casts you can't make because of overhanging branches or brush growing out into the water now becomes accessable. You'll be able to burn a spinnerbait or pitch a jig all around that cover. AND, you'd be surprised at how far out onto a point you can get to with your cast wearing wadders. You might be closer to the deeper water than you think right now. Wadders could put your lure right where you want it.
Old 02-02-11, 11:15 AM   #14
DVT Mike

When bank fishing be as stealthy as possible both on the banks and wading. This is especially true in the spring when the fish are shallow. If fishing rivers and creeks approach from down stream if possible. I've caught good fish flipping to cover just as you would froma boat. Spinning gear with light, supple line is hard to beat for pure casting distance when fish move deeper. Good luck!
Old 02-02-11, 07:44 PM   #15
Kicksomebass
BassFishin.Com Member

If you find a tree that's down in the water, hit it from every angle you can hit it. Start from WAY off to one side, casting out past the end and bringing your lure about 2 - 4 feet off the end of the visible structure. Then cast about 6 - 8 inches closer to shore, and keep doing it, and continue this technique until you've made your way all the way around the structure. A lot of people fail to realize that bass will chase it's prey towards shore in order to trap it, making it easier to attack. Bass will also do this with a boat (hence the reason on more then one occasion, you have bass nail your bait as youre about to take it out of the water).

This gives the 'shore' fisherman a little bit of an advantage because they can hit the same piece of structure more consistantly, and with different angles.
Kicksomebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-11, 08:01 AM   #16
james86

I bank fish also. I always fish around concrete drainage type structures pretty successfully.
james86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-11, 08:54 AM   #17
danielbasspro

If you've already thrown all of your baits, tried lighter line, etc. Then buy yourself some waders and get that extra distance. Personally I would bust out the fins and mask and dive down there and see exactly what kind of structure is there. I have no depth finder as well, so I'm in the water a lot. I do have a wet suit that keeps me pretty warm though.
Old 02-03-11, 11:23 AM   #18
96ecss
BassFishin.Com Member

I have a few lakes that I don't take my boat to. Waders are a must in my opinion. I wear waist high waders from Cabelas and they let me get out far enough to cast to structure that can't be reached from shore. They also let me fish places that are not accessable from shore because of of trees and bushes.

Dave
96ecss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-11, 02:32 PM   #19
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

(edit: sorry for the book, I got started typing and forgot to stop in time lol) If any of this is too far off please let me know.

A few ideas:

First, the times when bank fishing is typically better:
1) in the spring when the water warms up to around 55-60º, and
2) fall when the water starts dropping to this point before they out deep,
3) summer time around dawn before the heat warms the water too much.

Bass tend to prefer water in the 60-75ºF range unless the food source takes them to areas a bit colder or warmer, but then after they get some food they will move back into the temps they prefer.

Remember that excess warm or excess cold water tend to shut bass down, they use too much energy to maintain body temperatures at the warmest and coldest times.

Second, during the coldest water periods, they hit a certain depth and tend to stay there for 2-4 months (or more in the northern-most states) only moving a little to grab a quick bite that happens to sit in front of their face, almost like a half asleep hibernation. Sometimes they will stay in this area until the water temps start to go up where they are at. This means that even though the top few feet of the water column may be starting to hit the 50º range, the deeper water may not be warming up enough for them to move yet.

Then during the warmest water periods, they may head either deeper to cooler water or in shallow heavy cover in a similar half asleep fashion only jumping out to grab a quick bite that is close by.

Granted they do not actually sleep (according to most known studies), but they do have inactive periods where certain body functions slow way down to conserve energy. Similar to the human body during hypothermia or heat exhaustion, except it is not damaging to a fish body unless it is fast and extreme water temperature changes. An example of the extreme was like last winter here in the FL panhandle, there was several inches of snow that hit southern AL, then when it all melted fairly quickly and worked its way down the rivers and streams into some of the smaller lakes, the fish in the areas hit by this quick temperature change either went into shock and died or used up much of their stored energy to work into a deeper area close to the dam where the temperature change was much slower. There was a small fish kill in the waters impacted by this. It was not a big deal since the pike and turtles moved in within a day or two to help clean up, but something similar can happen in areas more likely to be hit with plenty of snow, and then a few days later a warm front that melts the snow quickly causes some flooding and rapid water temperature changes.

Also underwater cover, such as rocks, stumps and trees/logs tend to hold their temperature much more stable than the surrounding water. I have seen bass in the coldest time of the year with their body literally up against a fallen tree about 3 feet deep (that was until I tossed a fluke nearby and very slowly worked it within 3 inches of him, was a nice 16" catch). The wood or rocks help them maintain their body temperature.

Anyways you can use this information to find areas most likely to hold fish and drop lures close to them. If that means waders going out 5-15 feet and getting more distance from shore to the deeper areas, or tossing the baits into or next to heavy cover areas, you will be more likely to find the fish. This also means that sometimes you need to get the lure within inches of them in the coldest or hottest water before they will bite it.

Last edited by screwballl; 02-03-11 at 02:38 PM.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-11, 04:48 PM   #20
lilmule

Often from a boat we target the shore,when hot they go deeper many do not catch them,but id switch to a worm then.Also pays to keep an eye out for new places I often fish from the bank(have a 20ft boat),found some smaller coves that have lilly pads here on ky lake one can drive to about 5 ac in size in all,can cast about 1/3 of the way across,yes sometimes out of casting distance.Ive found in boat sometimes out of range there as well and shut down when one gets closer,so can happen either way in or no boat.Both taken from the bank

This one march 29th 2010 out of pads,first ones that come up around here thats a king spro 1 oz frog
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-11, 01:53 PM   #21
fish4942

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
As a professional bank ninja...I say stick to your smaller water...Cold weather bassing can be great if you can get out on the creeks breaking off the main lakes...My have to walk a bit,but i could be a good pay off...In my area the crappie and sandbass move into the creeks chasing shad and getting ready for spawn at this time...Big bass follow right behind...A slower presentation is a must as bass will be lethargic from the colder water slowing down their metabolism..And chasing fast prey will be less likely to work.
I stick to lure with tight wobbles and plastics with taperd tails,or straight tails.
I also like using google map to locate small ponds and reservoirs near my area...You be amazed what you can find around you and some of these places can produce great bass!...A heavy spinnerbait can be a great way to cover alot of water and find cover on the bottom by deflecting off it.
Another toy,Ive yet to try but would love to is the Smartcastast from Humminbird which allows bank fisherman to have a depthfinder....

http://store.humminbird.com/category...artCast_Series

Just because we aint rockin bass rigs doesnt mean we have to miss out on great fishing....We just have to be a little more creative!
Good luck

What a find!!! I didn't know anything like this wrist mounted fish finder existed. This is definitely going towards the top of my next to purchase list.
fish4942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-11, 01:39 AM   #22
BassFeverJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by james86 View Post
I bank fish also. I always fish around concrete drainage type structures pretty successfully.
Structure, points, and places where the banks sweeps in toward the land.

Structure can be almost anything. Even things you wouldn't think bass would relate to can be structure. Like a bridge. A bridge casts a shadow, bass like shadows, as do the smaller fish they feed on.
Old 02-07-11, 01:32 PM   #23
screwballl

Also it helps to get a map of the lake, even if it is a basic one with depth contours or underwater structure. You can look at these to find steeper drop offs that would make the deeper shots easier to access from shore, the points that may be easier to get from shore. This way you don't need a boat to get to these areas.

Here is an example of a local lake I did that with:

screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 10:34 AM   #24
mrmuskie5

Rig a rod with a carolina rig. You can cast the set up a mile and drag it on the bottom to find cover and structure its the cheapest depth finder out there. I have all the goodies on my boat but i still find cover with the ol' rig.
mrmuskie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 05:51 PM   #25
Kicksomebass
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmuskie5 View Post
Rig a rod with a carolina rig. You can cast the set up a mile and drag it on the bottom to find cover and structure its the cheapest depth finder out there. I have all the goodies on my boat but i still find cover with the ol' rig.

I LIKE IT! Cuz if you find the cover, you very well could pull a fish off of it!!!
Kicksomebass is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.