Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-09, 08:31 PM   #1
BassBandit
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Swimming Jig

Saw an episode on The Bass Pros other day & Edwin Evers was teaching on how to swim a jig. I forgot what head shape style would be best to swim through the grass? I'm guessing a pointy ones? I know a football jig is out of question. Any other head style would be good?
Old 02-05-09, 08:35 PM   #2
abu4600

The arky style is pretty good.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-09, 08:35 PM   #3
rangerryan

check out http://www.bassfishin.com/fishing-videos/jig-fishing/
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09, 12:26 AM   #4
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I think I saw the same episode, Bandit. If I remember right, he was using a "wedge" head jig? Not sure, I could be wrong.
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09, 03:16 AM   #5
supermat
BassFishin.Com Member

I'm not sure if this is Kosher or not but this is a post I recently put on another board but I adapted it a hair to better apply to this:

As some of you may know, I love to throw swimbaits! I haven't been doing it as long as some but I got my first swimbait DD in 2004 and haven't looked back since! I know that for a lot of you Eastern/Northern guys the swimbait thing is pretty new and I wanted to throw a different angle at it. Personally, I throw a lot of the BIG swimbaits but sometimes the fish just aren't in the mood and they want the smaller stuff.
Well, earlier this year I was talking with a friend about swim jigs (jigs are another favorite of mine) and it really peaked my interest. Swim jigs seemed like a perfect way to find that balance between a swimbait and the blasted time frame that tournaments put on your fishing day. I thought I might be able to get a bigger tournament fish without fishing for 1 or 2 bites a day like with the BIG baits.
I started out throwing small swim jigs with single tail trailers on them but really wasn't getting the success I'd hoped for from big fish. This fall, I had a break through. It occurred to me that if I took a small swimbait and put it on the back of a jig that I could get the BIG profile that a full skirt provided but have that big, exposed jig hook in there when the fish engulfed the bait. I started playing with it in the dark and was VERY pleased with the results and am now beginning to use it in the daylight too.
Here are a couple recent jig/ swim jig fish: (10 lbs, 8 lbs, 7 lbs, 9 lbs)

(This one was last night)

How many of you guys out there are using swim jigs? Are you swimming them with basic trailers or have you experimented with various swimbait trailers? And how is it working? confused
I'm attaching some photos to show what I've been doing. I quickly realized that to set the hook with this much bulk in the bait I needed a stout hook! I tried standard wire hooks but they just don't get it done so I settled on Curt's "No-Jack" jig. You can find them at www.dirtyjigstackle.com If you want to give this a try I seriously recommend that jig because you can get solid penetration with no risk of hook failure, a head that comes through grass and other cover very well, and a variety of colors that match really well to the trailers! thumb

I've got several varieties of bluegill/sunfish:

Several varieties of shad:

And of Course my crawdad:

This last one is to show a size comparison. The bait at the top is an 8" huddleston deluxe. (one of the standard trout imitators)

As far as trailers, I still occasionally downsize to a yamamoto double-tail or paca chunk/craw to imitate a crawdad but the rest of the time I'm using the Maverick swimbait, Big Hammer, Fish Traps, or Mighty Minnow.
What do you guys think? Is this something you can adapt to your waters? Its sure working out here!
supermat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-09, 10:51 AM   #6
SCJ89
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to SCJ89

If you are looking for a good jig to swim through grass i recomend the A.T. Grassmaster jig it's head desin his ieal for swimin jigs through grass. the come in 1/4 to 1 1/2oz.
http://www.allterraintackle.com/products/grassjig.html
Old 02-06-09, 10:17 PM   #7
BassBandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
I think I saw the same episode, Bandit. If I remember right, he was using a "wedge" head jig? Not sure, I could be wrong.
That's it, wedge head. Thanks!

Good info supermat. Thanks for sharing. Nice bass too.
Old 02-06-09, 10:23 PM   #8
3dkicker

Swimming a jig is a great way to catch some nice bass. Works great on days when they are really aggressive.
Getting grass caught on the jig happens no matter what the jig head shape. You can prevent the massive snags with the right rod, line, and jig type.
Old 02-07-09, 08:04 AM   #9
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCJ89 View Post
If you are looking for a good jig to swim through grass i recomend the A.T. Grassmaster jig it's head desin his ieal for swimin jigs through grass. the come in 1/4 to 1 1/2oz.
http://www.allterraintackle.com/products/grassjig.html

That is also my favorite jig. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-09, 08:46 AM   #10
aikenyounggun

Wow thats cool with the swimbaits. Yeah its great with all those big fish out in California but i still just got to try a swimbait in little old SC.
aikenyounggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-09, 12:41 PM   #11
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Thats a good idea supermatt. I'm definately going to give that a try. I bet it would work very well on deep water pike as well. Loved the photos. Very nice pics, especially to those of us who are ice bound.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-09, 07:08 PM   #12
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'm gonna haveta try one sooner or latter, looks good!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.