Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-10, 06:51 AM   #1
Rolling Tide
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Trolling Motor Problem

My trolling motor seems to be doing something strange. It seems to drain one battery down very fast and the other battery doesn't lose the charge at all. It is like it is only pulling power from one side. Any ideas?
Rolling Tide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-10, 08:05 AM   #2
bassintom
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

Sounds like you have a dead cell in the one battery. Have it fully charged and put a load test on it. If it loses it's charge, the battery is bad..And check the battery connections. A bad connection won't let the battery charge. It's not your trolling motor that's the problem. How old are the batteries?
Old 03-19-10, 08:48 AM   #3
Rolling Tide
BassFishin.Com Member

That is what i thought as well. However I have replaced all batteries with optima batteries and still doing the same thing. Here is the kicker though. I can take the boat out today and may not have the problem. Then get home charge everything up check the voltage and amps on each battery before I leave and this trip I will have the problem.
Old 03-19-10, 09:20 AM   #4
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Do you have one of those gauges that can test the batterys built into the boat?

If so then one of the connections are bad.

Or if you have a four prong locking male plug on the trolling motor.....the plug is the connection between the two batteries that creates 24 volts. Those plugs will heat up and stop working at times.

On 24 volt systems some boats have two wires running to trolling motor (crossover is at battery compartment)
Some boats have four wires to the trolling motor ( if you have a 12/24 switch on peddle )
crossover is at plug..same with a three wire connector.

You most likely have a bad connector.

Now with that thought in mind I have seen some boat that will have a blue fusable link in the battery wires. No fuse just connectors and many times they are culprit.. Do not replace them just cut them out if possible.

Capt Mike
Old 03-19-10, 10:24 AM   #5
Rolling Tide
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captmikestarrett View Post
Do you have one of those gauges that can test the batterys built into the boat?

If so then one of the connections are bad.

Or if you have a four prong locking male plug on the trolling motor.....the plug is the connection between the two batteries that creates 24 volts. Those plugs will heat up and stop working at times.

On 24 volt systems some boats have two wires running to trolling motor (crossover is at battery compartment)
Some boats have four wires to the trolling motor ( if you have a 12/24 switch on peddle )
crossover is at plug..same with a three wire connector.

You most likely have a bad connector.

Now with that thought in mind I have seen some boat that will have a blue fusable link in the battery wires. No fuse just connectors and many times they are culprit.. Do not replace them just cut them out if possible.

Capt Mike
I will check that out this weekend. I may just replace that plug just to make sure it is good.
Old 03-24-10, 10:23 AM   #6
Rolling Tide
BassFishin.Com Member

well I went this past weekend and stayed out fight the rivers current and the wind and the batteries never had a problem. Got home and they all had 12 volts left. I just dont get it.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.