Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-10, 12:07 PM   #1
1600TF
BassFishin.Com Member

Default 1989 110hp Johnson lower unit removal

This is my first lower unit removal. I am in the process of replacing my water pump impeller and need to remove the lower unit. i have the factory manual and have read around several forums that discuss the difficulty of removing it due to the shift linkage/shift rod needing to be disconnected. My question lies in the shift lever(cylindrical device) that needs to be pushed in towards the powerhead to disconnect the linkage.

Currently the shift lever has the shift cable assembly connected to it. Do i need to remove the cable before pushing the shift lever in towards the powerhead? In the omc manual, it doesn't say i have to remove the shift cable assembly, which appears to be held on by screw/bolts. It just says once the shift lever pin is removed to push the shift lever in towards the powerhead. It seems like it would be easier to gain access to the shift lever if i would remove the shift cable assembly.

Also once the shift lever is pushed in towards the powerhead to disconnect the shift rod, when i go back to re-install it, how does the shift lever come back out to its normal position in order for me to re-insert the shift lever pin? If i initially pushed it in to unlock the linkage, it seems like it would be flush with the outboard and very hard to get a vice grip or wrench on it to pull it out into its original position.

Can anyone with experience on these omc motors help me out with my questions and any tips to make this process easier.

Thanks.

Last edited by 1600TF; 04-19-10 at 12:09 PM. Reason: typo
1600TF is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.