Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-09, 01:21 PM   #1
headshox
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Tips for a first time buyer

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the site and bass boats. One of my friends has had a bass boat for a while and I finally broke down and decided to buy one. I found a nice 07 Tracker Pro Team 19' with 90hp Merc. I've seen it once and it looks like its in good shape and his asking price is right on at $12,500 I got him down to 11K.

I'm going up there tonight to here the engine run any tips of things I should listen for/look for.

Thanks Ben
headshox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-09, 01:50 PM   #2
fishin spro
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Is he gonna let u drive it first also?
Definately dont buy it with out driving it!!
Old 07-07-09, 02:04 PM   #3
headshox
BassFishin.Com Member

Yeah I can probably get him to drop it in the river that right near his house. But still I have no clue what to listen for or what should feel like to drive it.
Old 07-07-09, 04:32 PM   #4
Abbeysdad
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Sure you do... how does it start (if at all) how does it sound - smooth or rough? How does it accelerate?....
If it's not sounding so good, give him 'the look' and measure his response.
Oh sure, there could be some things you can't know, but some things can't be missed either.
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-09, 04:54 PM   #5
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Check some visual things that are easy to spot.Does the prop or transom have any dings or missing any parts? Do the trailer lights work? Does the aerator and bilge pump perform ? Tires on the trailer, also ask him if he's ever greased the wheel bearings. I'd take it on the water and let him show you everything, how to back it in, how to start it, the trolling motor work..etc
Also ask how well the batteries work, how old they are. Look underneath for any cracks or dents. Look back when the motor is running and see if it pee's water out the side, make sure its not clogged.
Ask if the boat takes on water after all day on the water, most do some, others do a lot, thats where the bilge pump comes in.
Ask what type gas and oil he's using.
Check on amount of thrust the trolling motor has.
Ask how much the boat and trailer weigh for towing.

Most of this can all be done in a very short amount of time.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-09, 10:02 PM   #6
MIbasser

If it has the 90 merc carb (NOT Optimax) and it doesn't fire right up, don't worry. I have an '08 and some times it can be a pain to start. But from everybody that I've talked to it's just that engine.

JB is right on as well. Text everything. I might even dump a gallon of water in the back to make sure the bilge pump works.

Oh, and see if he has any warranty left on the engine.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-09, 06:06 AM   #7
1FASTLASER

I agree with everything said so far but one thing is lacking. Gotta have a compression test done. It tells the WHOLE story. Relatively inexpensive compared to $11k that could cost more to own. That motor should be running around 105 across the cylinders if it has been taken care of. Also make sure motor pees good and strong.
Old 07-08-09, 08:14 AM   #8
headshox
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIbasser View Post
90 merc carb (NOT Optimax)...
I bought the boat and im very excited to take it out this weekend. It's an Optimax and fired up first try with the water muffs. We had some pretty bad weather up here so never got to put it in the water. The guy didn't maintain it great but with a little lovin ill whip it back to shape.

Now I need some help with registration
I'm a little confused on the registration part we filled out a bill of sale for the trailer and boat, should we have done two bill of sales? Is there a way to know if the trailer has a title or not, I was reading online that not all trailers come with titles.
Old 07-08-09, 09:27 AM   #9
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTLASER View Post
I agree with everything said so far but one thing is lacking. Gotta have a compression test done. It tells the WHOLE story. Relatively inexpensive compared to $11k that could cost more to own. That motor should be running around 105 across the cylinders if it has been taken care of. Also make sure motor pees good and strong.
Yes...this is the MOST important thing. When I was shoppin for a boat, I found a really nice older bass boat for a lot less money than what I have now. However, when I checked the compression on the cylinders, the pressures were (in psi) 90/85/90/90/75/90. I probably could have lived with the 85 and the 90's, but that one cylinder at 75 really told me that I would have problems with that motor at some point in the near future. So I kept looking.
Old 07-09-09, 09:47 AM   #10
headshox
BassFishin.Com Member

Well I picked it up yesterday, thanks for the tips everyone. It's my first boat and I must admit I felt like a kid...can't wait to get the thing in the water. I wasn't even looking at the road half the time just staring at the boat in the rear view mirror.
Old 07-09-09, 10:10 AM   #11
bassackwards
BassFishin.Com Active Member

well good luck and be safe send a pic
bassackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-09, 11:21 AM   #12
Captmikestarrett

I have wrecked two of those boats hulls jumping trees. But I got some good fish those days.

Capt Mike
Old 03-15-10, 10:17 PM   #13
basshunter62
BassFishin.Com Member

Good luck with the new boat i just picked up a 15 ft procraft 1995 90 hp merc. and I cant wait to put itin the water myself
GOOD LUCK
basshunter62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-10, 09:36 AM   #14
rodnreel
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshox View Post
Now I need some help with registration
I'm a little confused on the registration part we filled out a bill of sale for the trailer and boat, should we have done two bill of sales? Is there a way to know if the trailer has a title or not, I was reading online that not all trailers come with titles.

Here in Ohio all you need for a trailer is registration and the cost depends on weight. The easiest thing to do is get a copy of the previous owner's registration so you can use the weight listed on there. I think most states do it the same way, but I'm not completely sure.

You should also have a title for both the boat and outboard motor. We definitely need to see some pics of it now!!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.