Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-10, 12:36 PM   #1
woody
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Hotter NGK Spark Plugs

Well, with the new boating year upon us, it was time for me to install a new set of spark plugs in my Yamaha150.

Earlier this month I pulled my old plugs for a visual inspection and noticed that my old Autolite plugs had some "black deposit buildup", leading me to believe that these plug were not burning properly and not hot enough for my motor's setup.

Following a boat mechanic's recommendation, I went with a standard set of NGK spark plugs that were one number hotter in hopes that this would correct my motor's lack of combustion.

Well here are my results: With the muffs on, the first thing that I noticed was how much easier my cold motor was to start. The motor fired on the second try and "warmed up" much much quicker. The sound of the motor at idle with the "muffs on" was music to my ears.

My boat's response on the water was very noticeable, compared to the boat's performance with the colder autolite plugs.

Final inspection of the new plugs showed no sign of the "black build up" previously found on my old Autolite plugs. This time the plug's electrode and tip showed the brownish bronze color, or perfect combustion.

I do plan to inspect my new plugs on occasion for continued proper combustion. Of note: if the electrode and tip turn a "white color" the plugs are too hot and can possible burn a hole through your pistons. SO BE ADVISED AND BE CAREFUL WHEN INSTALLING HOTTER PLUGS.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-10, 02:46 PM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Mark,

So you're saying the plug specified for your outboard doesn't burn quite hot enough? I seem to remember you saying something about using a different oil than was specified for your engine....Penzoil maybe? Do you think it's possible that is why it is getting the carbon deposits? Either way, it sounds like you have a combination of plug and oil that is working well for you.

P.S. Yes, the sound of a purring outboard, ready to roar to life at a moment's notice, after a long Winter is indeed very sweet!!
Old 04-03-10, 05:28 PM   #3
woody

Well, back in the spring of 2009 when I was installing new plugs, the parts store didn't have the OEM NGK #8 spark plugs for my Yamaha. So instead I chose to use an equivalent Autolite plug with poor results. This year I was able to locate some NKG plugs and decided to try a #7, which is one # hotter on NGK's reverse temperature rating scale. The bottom line is showing a much better result indeed.

Yes, I've been using Penzoil TCW3 and 87 octane.

-Mark
Old 04-03-10, 06:11 PM   #4
nofearengineer

Just an FYI...

www.sparkplugs.com

They saved me a bundle on my Opti plugs, which are also NGK.
Old 04-03-10, 08:09 PM   #5
bamabassman

Thanks mark, this is something i am gonna look into as well. It seems to take the ol johnson quiet a while to "warm" up. Maybe i too am using the wrong plug. AND the wrong oil too.
Old 04-03-10, 09:34 PM   #6
zooker

90% of the newer moters use ngk for a very good reason. Also woody remember to run ring free or sea foam in EVERY tank of gas.Those yammer hammers do not like american octane gas or ethonal juice..They are tuned for the japanese watered down 84 octane..

zooker
Old 04-04-10, 12:21 PM   #7
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
Thanks mark, this is something i am gonna look into as well. It seems to take the ol johnson quiet a while to "warm" up. Maybe i too am using the wrong plug. AND the wrong oil too.
Here ya go John.. you can look up your plugs with NGK's Part Finder.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbR75...ayer_embedded#

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
90% of the newer moters use ngk for a very good reason. Also woody remember to run ring free or sea foam in EVERY tank of gas.Those yammer hammers do not like american octane gas or ethonal juice..They are tuned for the japanese watered down 84 octane..

zooker
Thanks for the reminder Zook. I've been using the Stabil Marine fuel additive, the blue stuff.

-Mark
Old 04-04-10, 04:07 PM   #8
zooker

Staybil only stops the gas from turning into terpintine.sea foam or ring free is the ONLY thing to use in yammers. I use 1 fl oz per tank.my carbs are spit shinny..

zooker
Old 04-04-10, 06:32 PM   #9
woody

Thanks for the info, Zook. I'll get a few cans of Seafoam.

-Mark
Old 04-06-10, 03:48 PM   #10
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I have a 2006 Mercury motor and the plugs have never been changed and I was looking at NGK plugs. I was calling around to some places like autozone and advance autoparts thinking that they might have them. Well, they did not have them and they told me that I could get an autolite plug that was the same thing as ngk for a lot less money. I am not a mechanical person so I am asking everyone's thoughts. Based on the posts in this thread, I would say the person I talked to is wrong. Woody, I am not trying to take over your thread but it seemed to go with what you had posted.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-10, 08:09 PM   #11
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by everettvet View Post
I have a 2006 Mercury motor and the plugs have never been changed and I was looking at NGK plugs. I was calling around to some places like autozone and advance autoparts thinking that they might have them. Well, they did not have them and they told me that I could get an autolite plug that was the same thing as ngk for a lot less money. I am not a mechanical person so I am asking everyone's thoughts. Based on the posts in this thread, I would say the person I talked to is wrong. Woody, I am not trying to take over your thread but it seemed to go with what you had posted.
I had to call a few autoparts stores before I was able to find the NGK plugs. Advance Autoparts was able to order them from there regional warehouse here in Indy, and I was able to pick them up the same day too. Advance Auto wanted $1.99 per plug, which I thought was rather resonable.

-Mark

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.