Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-10, 11:58 AM   #1
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Quick Change Trailer Jack

I was curious if any of you have used one of these.

They look very convenient, and much quicker than using my truck's screw-type jack.

I considered getting a low-profile hydraulic jack, but they're a bit more expensive, and sometimes a pain to jack up (bad back...ugh). Plus, they need more maintenance, and one running loose in the bed of your truck sounds like the end of the world.

It just looked like a neat idea (if a bit unstable).

Your thoughts?
Old 04-14-10, 12:09 PM   #2
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Interesting concept. My only thing would be stability, like you already mentioned. I bet you'd better be quick on the brake pedal when you get to the top.
Out of curiosity, is your trailer single or double axle?
Old 04-14-10, 12:12 PM   #3
nofearengineer

Mine is a single axle, with 15" wheels.
Old 04-14-10, 12:52 PM   #4
MississippiBoy

I gotcha. It'd be easy with a double axle...just make a ramp out of a 4x4 piece of lumber and pull the other wheel up onto it.
Only $30 for this thing...might be worth checking out.
Old 04-14-10, 12:52 PM   #5
Abbeysdad

I think I'll stick to my inexpensive wallymart hydraulic jack. Better still, I got brand spanking new tires and won't get no stinkin flat <hehe>
Old 04-14-10, 02:27 PM   #6
doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post

It just looked like a neat idea (if a bit unstable).

Your thoughts?
I know you wouldn't be underneath it while changing a trailer tire, but I had a buddy whom's father died, by being crushed by a car that he was working on, It was up on unstable blocks. Since then I make it a point to be very careful and not skimp or take short cuts when safety is involved. That thing looks like an accident waiting to happen. (but it is a cool concept.)
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-10, 02:38 PM   #7
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
I know you wouldn't be underneath it while changing a trailer tire, but I had a buddy whom's father died, by being crushed by a car that he was working on, It was up on unstable blocks. Since then I make it a point to be very careful and not skimp or take short cuts when safety is involved. That thing looks like an accident waiting to happen. (but it is a cool concept.)
Safety is of course a big concern....and there's no reason
I couldn't also carry a block of wood of the right size to sit under the axle once it was jacked up, as a safety precaution.
Old 04-14-10, 07:31 PM   #8
fishbone
BassFishin.Com Member

I bought one yesterday. I may have to have a dry run with it.
fishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-10, 08:05 PM   #9
woody

I don't know if I would want to be fooling with that thing along side of a busy highway. That's my thought about it.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-10, 05:15 PM   #10
bassboogieman

If you're on fairly level, solid ground that would work - I guess. I carry a hydralic bottle jack and a piece of plywood, just in case I'm on soft ground. I'd really don't think I would want to count on that device, as I think you have to be able to maneuver the trailer to back up on it to raise the tire, that may work in a parking lot, I'd be hesitant on an interstate. While I have a dual axle trailer and in all probabilty could limp to a safe spot to change a flat, a single axle does not provide that option.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-10, 07:20 PM   #11
bamabassman

I personally want to get the ramp type. Safer and just easy i think. I have a tandem axle on my trailer and i think this would be much easier and safer than a screw jack or this thing. This does NOT look easy or safe or anything to me.
Old 04-16-10, 09:48 PM   #12
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
I personally want to get the ramp type. Safer and just easy i think. I have a tandem axle on my trailer and i think this would be much easier and safer than a screw jack or this thing. This does NOT look easy or safe or anything to me.
Well, I agree that if you have a tandem rig, the ramp is a no-brainer. But having a single axle, I don't see much difference in this vs a jack on an Interstate. This actually looks like it might be quicker, and thus safer.

Notice I still haven't pulled the trigger on one yet hehe.
Old 04-16-10, 09:57 PM   #13
bamabassman

So oyu have seen the one i am talking about right bryce? I think i can get one made pretty sheap. Brother in law is a welder and if i can get the aluminum he can weld it up for me he said.
Old 04-16-10, 10:46 PM   #14
WTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Safety is of course a big concern....and there's no reason
I couldn't also carry a block of wood of the right size to sit under the axle once it was jacked up, as a safety precaution.
Any time I lift my truck with a jack and start doing work under it, or close to under it, I use 2 jack stands on flat concrete as backups so I know its safe. If you think that you can't spare the extra seconds it takes to put those backups in place, just take a few seconds to imagine how it would be to die under a truck or a heavy boat trailer (ok, my boat might not kill me)....but for a average sized boat or truck, the thought should be gruesome enough.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-10, 11:14 PM   #15
carolina-rig-01

I honestly was looking at buying this jack when I had my Ranger because it was a single axle trailer and I really thought that this product look very quick, simple, and safe. I really think that as long as you set the E-brake and were on fairly level ground it would be fine. Now that I am pulling a tandem axle trailer I will just go the wooden block route.
Old 04-16-10, 11:16 PM   #16
RichZ
BassFishin.Com Member

The cam jack in the picture is fine for doing your wheel bearings, but speaking from experience, if you've got a flat, the axle may be too close to the ground to get it started. Ended up emptying the back of my buddy's wagoneer to get at the old ratchet style bumper jack and wedging that under the side of the trailer to jack it high enough to get the cam jack to work.
RichZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.