Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-05-05, 08:44 PM   #1
B.D. jR
BassFishin.Com Member

Question Braided Line and a leader?

I was at dicks sporting goods and I was talking to a pro bass fisherman who was very knowledgeable about a great many things. I was asking him about braided line on spin and bait casters. He said it was the greatest thing since peanut butter. I have always fished monofiliment but when he showed me the diameter of the 30lb test braided...I could not believe it. He also said it has NO memory at all and made -birds nests- almost a thing of the past. I told him I was interested in catching bass only and did most of the fishing in heavy cover. He talked about using braided line and a florocarbon leader. The PROPOWER braided line looked almost the same color as the -Low Vis Green- Stren. IF the Pro Power 30 lb test is smaller than 17lb test monofiliment why would I use a florocarbon leader?? Are there any circumstances that I would need to use the florocarbon leader? If so, what knot is good to join the mono with the braided. And is it necessary to use a different knot while tying braided??
B.D. jR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-05, 09:44 PM   #2
Marty
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I don't know if Lo Vis Green Stren has much visibility, but he probably told you to use a fluorocarbon leader because that line is believed by many to be nearly invisible, whereas braided lines are opaque, as opposed to translucent monofilament. A translucent line may or may not blend in to reduce its visibility, but an opaque line is certainly visible.

However, the visibility of line and its effect on the fishing is not a subject on which everyone agrees.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-05, 10:24 PM   #3
Fishie

In clear water or slighlty stained you will want to use a flourocarbon leader because the fish will see the line if you are fishing open water structure. When I trout fish I need to use light line cause they can see the line if it is too heavy so you need to think along these terms when bass fishing also.
Old 11-05-05, 11:24 PM   #4
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty
However, the visibility of line and its effect on the fishing is not a subject on which everyone agrees.
No comment

As to how to connect them. Powerpro sends with their line a knot tying guide, and they reccomend a Albright or Reverse Albright. I can't stand either of those, and they take forever to get right, and aren't simple. I would just get a good barrel swivel, and tie it to your braid, and then the Flourocarbon leader, which is what I do. I use a leader for several applications, such a c-rig, and fluke fishing(any bait that can cause line twist), or around sharp objects, such as shale, or zebra mussels. Other than that, I use no leader.

Lizards
Old 11-06-05, 12:57 AM   #5
KH.

what is the dudes name??
Old 11-06-05, 07:33 AM   #6
pig n jig

There is no need to tie a leader on braided line unless you want to risk losing a big fish when the leader knot fails to hold.Thats a bunch of crap the companies came up with to sell the higher priced flourocarbon lines.Flourocarbon will not splice well to braid well because the braid will weaken the flourocarbon as you fish the leader.Flourocarbon line does not absorb water, therefore it doesn't tolerate any friction caused to the line.If you feel you have to have a leader, use mono, it absorbs water which acts as a lubricant and the line is not harmed as easily by friction. Use all braid or flourocarbon on your spool, let the fish tell you that you need a leader on instead of some pro paid to push the companies product. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-05, 10:12 AM   #7
zooker

i agree with pnj -fer once
the only time i use a leader is on my c-rig or on a floating worm rig but i use mono for both.

zooker
Old 11-06-05, 01:18 PM   #8
Rebbasser

The only time I use a leader is on a C-rig. Otherwise I just tie direct to the PowerPro. The water I fish isn't gin-clear so line visibility really is not that much of a factor.
Old 11-06-05, 03:03 PM   #9
pig n jig

Rebbasser, the water is clearer than the eye lenses I look through most everyday here , but the fish still bite the lure attached to the braided line.I don't think they know the difference, even if they can see the line, they probably don't associate it with the lure they are deciding to eat or not. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-05, 07:42 PM   #10
zooker

um pnj that is because they have little to no pressure. in these heavily presured lakes round here i use braid when it is stained or muddy. clear water they spook from it..

zooker
Old 11-07-05, 11:48 AM   #11
HuckFinn
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to HuckFinn

Hi folks,
I use different lines on different reels. Mostly just trying them out to see how they work. I use hi vis yellow power pro most often cause it is on the reel that I use most often. I do use a leader sometimes and it is most often Yo-Zuri Hybrid, and sometimes Cajun red. I like the action I get with cranks and some spinners with the leaders. Most times I use them in open water or over deep weeds. The power pro floats and I just like the action from the leader.
I use to use the Albright knot to attach the leaders but it is a pain to tie. Now I loop the end of the pro and whip it with dental floss or Kevlar fly tying thread or a number 6 cotton fly tying thread. You can add a touch of glue if you want. Tie a surgeons knot in the leader and loop it through the pro.
I don’t normally use a swivel but when I do, I use a Palomar knot from the pro to it and the same from it to the leader.
This system works well for me and I have not had any problems with it. I do get some strange looks at the lake though. Some guys think it is great some laugh at it. I tell them to try it, it works for me.

Last edited by HuckFinn; 11-07-05 at 11:53 AM.
HuckFinn is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.