Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-10, 08:42 AM   #1
awhitaker1992
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Problem since day one!!!!

i started fishing about a year and a half a go and i still havent got colors down yet. What i mean is colors for almost everything. i have some idea for crankbaits and plastic worms but almost nothing else. I want to know what color to use in what color water, what colors work great for you guys (no need to reveal secrets), and if its sunny outside should i use lighter colors or if its cloudy or dark should i use darker colors.
awhitaker1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-10, 09:55 AM   #2
Mac2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

It's always a good idea to discuss colors with local tackle shops in the area. Certain lakes seem to have color preferences. Some lakes do well with red, others dark greens, some prefer black and darker colors such as green pumpkin, tequila sunrise, etc. Up north, I used a grasshopper color a lot, but now in Tennessee on local waters I tend to use the darker colors, watermelon, green pumpkin, black.

Some folks don't zero in on specific colors, but instead think in terms of light, medium and dark and adjust to the conditions in that manner. If, for example, they fish tubes, they will carry a light color, a medium and a darker.....even though the light may be in the beige, the mediium a watermelon green, and the dark, a green pumpkin.

Different lure companies, especially with soft plastics, also vary the color greatly.....for example, a watermelon green by Zoom is relatively translucent compared to a watermelon by Case Plastics, being much darker and non translucent. I personally use the zoom translucent more than the Case darker solid watermelon, but the Case works just as well at catching depending on current conditions.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-10, 10:01 AM   #3
Mac2

There is a post with an interesting take on a smoke color under the thread called "grubs".
It's posted by Rich Z relating his experience with a boot tail grub in a very subtle smoke color......a very interesting read, well written and informative. Presents something to think about, a color that tries to sneak about without being seen.......

This thread on grubs is about a dozen threads down the page from this one.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-10, 12:58 PM   #4
MrPhotographer06
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

http://www.howtobass.com/

How to bass is a local fishing website. it has alot of good info
Old 04-19-10, 01:05 PM   #5
awhitaker1992
BassFishin.Com Member

that watermelon color finesse by zoom is what i use alot in pond down here in SC it works great for me but thats the only color that does anything for me and crankbaits are just horrorable for me too
awhitaker1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-10, 03:14 PM   #6
lilmule

I find the same thing true of smoke colors,as mfg dont have a pattern or code to follow,many different companies dont have near the same color of anything,smoke translucent from one company clear water ,and from another very dark can be used in quite muddy water.
One companies red looks like pinkish red bubblegum,others pure red,like another said the greens and green pumkin and watermelon both are good colors for ky lake,generally the non translucent more of a solid look but not always.
Light reflection and refraction also play a role as well as water color.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-10, 03:19 PM   #7
Raul

Classic colors are classic colors because they have passed the test of time since somebody had the idea of painting a bait of X color and testing it to see what happens, so keep in mind that, stick to classic colors,

Cranks: Silver/black back, Silver/blue back, Gold/black back, Firetiger, you want to add more ? well, go more natural, shad, baby bass, bluegill.

Spinnerbaits: skirts.- white, white chartreuse, black; blades.- silver ( nickel ), gold.

Soft plastics: black, blue, red, green ( ish ), purple.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-10, 08:44 PM   #8
Cavs1123

i like grren pumpkin and watermelonseed
Old 04-19-10, 09:11 PM   #9
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

I also have the problem with cranks and spinners... just dont work for either of us. Although Anthony is more persistant on trying baits, if they dont work, i'm back to soft plastics.
Old 04-19-10, 10:08 PM   #10
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

It can be confusing, no doubt. Here is the rule of thumb I use and it has worked pretty well for me:

Clear water-natural colors, such as shad, crawfish, bluegill and for soft plastics colors like green pumpkin, watermelon and watermelon red.

Stained water-add some chartreuse

Muddy water-I use dark colors if it is cloudy and real bright-chartreuse, orange, red, yellow-when it is sunny.

For spinnerbaits I use silver blades when it is sunny, gold or gold/silver when it is partly cloudy and copper when it is cloudy.

Keep in mind there are no hard and fast rules, so don't be afraid to try different colors in different conditions. I've had days in real clear water when a bait with chartreuse is all they would hit.
Old 04-19-10, 10:18 PM   #11
Garry2rs

We have all heard the term "Match the hatch!"
So, if you know what the forage is, use matching colors, in Clear water, and exaggerated colors in Dingy water.

If you don't know, or are unsure, what the forage is match the colour of the bottom. The bait will always camouflage itself to match the bottom colour. This might be quite different in different locations on the same lake.

In bright sun use metallic blades and baits.
On overcast days use painted blades and baits.

White and Chartreuse/White are the biggest selling spinnerbait colors...That should give you a clue...grin.
Garry2R's
Garry2rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-10, 10:19 PM   #12
keithdog

My advice to you is to do some research and find out types of forage the bass in your lakes eat and go from there. Do they feed mainly on shad or bluegill? Maybe both. What types of crayfish live in your local waters. There are many many species of crayfish with a wide array of colors. Find out what your bass are feeding on and then try to copy those colors. One other thing I'd like to add. I can't tell you how many times in my life I have seen the guy next to me start tossing a lure in a color pattern that I thought was a huge mistake and totally inappropriate. But he was catching fish with it. Why? Because he had confidence in it and worked it. We all have our favorite colors, but you take one lake and 10 fisherman who each have their own favorite colors, and they'll probably all catch some fish. Often color is not the main thing to worry about, but rather the type of lure your using and how your using it. I think Mac had a very good point. Ask around with various tackle dealers and ask what are the popular color choices. Thats always a good place to start. But best yet is next time your buying some lures, pick colors that YOU feel good about. Colors that YOU take one look at and think, "dang, they have to like this one"! Then go work it hard. If you believe that colors is gonna work, it probably will, so long as you are using it properly for the given conditions.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-10, 10:55 PM   #13
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

If there's one thing I've learned in my three years of serious bass fishing, it is to keep it simple when it comes to colors!

When it comes to plastics, I've got bags and bags of plastics in different colors, and I always seem to fall back on my watermelons and green pumpkins (and their slight variations). Whites, blacks, pumpkinseed, and purples (like Grape or Junebug) are also good colors.

When it comes to crankbaits, I like to normally stick to natural colors for clear water. Chrome Black, White, Shad colors (especially Tennessee shad), and bluegill colors are some of my favorites. Rootbeer and Rootbeer Chartreuse are also good ones. When I'm fishing dirtier water, I'll go to a firetiger or chartreuse cranks. Chartreuse can have green, blue, or black backs, all work good).

Spinnerbaits I normally use white, white/chartreuse, or a natural color with some translucent skirt material like SK's Sexy Shad.

When I use jigs, I'll use black and blue, green pumpkin, watermelon, watermelon candy, my custom Bruiser color which has some green pumpkin with some lighter green and some orange, and sometimes an orange or orange and brown.

Buzzbaits are especially simple. Black, white, and chartreuse (I like Booyah's Citreuse) is all you need.

BB
Old 04-21-10, 04:01 PM   #14
3dkicker

awhitaker - Reb, Raul, and BB give some smart tried and true info for the beginners when it comes to selecting colors. It's good information.

But they do make bubblegum, merthiolate, and sherbert worms for a reason. Once you find 4 or 5 classic colors that work for you in most conditions then play with the crazy ones.
Old 04-21-10, 06:31 PM   #15
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
awhitaker - Reb, Raul, and BB give some smart tried and true info for the beginners when it comes to selecting colors. It's good information.

But they do make bubblegum, merthiolate, and sherbert worms for a reason. Once you find 4 or 5 classic colors that work for you in most conditions then play with the crazy ones.
Very true! I've been at it three years and just towards the end of last year did I start narrowing down colors, especially with plastics. While it's not crazy like bubblegum or sherbert, I have started experimenting with white worms, and plan on trying a few crazier colors this year.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.