Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-09, 10:45 AM   #1
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Worst backlash ever

I had a friend from NY down to fish with me on a glorious April day. Four days prior I had charters and fish where dialed in some kind of good. We left the dock at 6am and glided into a cove that was so full of LGMouth I could smell their breath. First cast produced a 5 lb LGMouth on a Carolina rigged lizard with a steel weight. I had been playing with these new steel weights and found they really caught more fish. I guess it was the clicking of the weight against the rocks and pea gravel. By 9am we landed over 20 nice chunky LGMouth and we were on our third bag of Zoom lizards.
A few trips back a customer gave me a cigar called a Te Amo and a box of some JR’s . He said the Te Amo was for a special occasion and cost a lot of money. It was black as night and had a sticky like wrapper on it.
So since we were on the fish really good I decided to light it up. The Te Amo tasted like cow manure and smelled like it too. But I thought it would get better as smoked it.. I flamed the cigar up with a nice big cherry on it and proceeded to not enjoy it at all. Just then I got a huge hit on my baitcaster and instinctively set the hook hard driving the reel filled with monofilament into my cigar. The cherry parted from the cigar and began to burn it’s way down inside my reel. Quick thinking I rotated the reel and slapped the plastic burning cherry out of the reel and stuck it firmly to the palm of my hand. OUCH!!! I shook my hand to dislodge the burning plastic encased cherry and it landed on my seat. As it began to melt right thru the seat I did a stupid thing….. I tried to brush it off with my hand and you guessed it,it once again stuck to my hand. This time it was the back of my hand.. Still have that scar.. I used a few choice words and flicked the burning plastic cherry from the back of my hand into the water.
I claimed down and re-spooled the reel after taking about 40 minutes to remove the melted line. I made a cast and bam got a 7lb LGMouth. WOW…
So once again I light up the Te Amo and it truly is worst cigar I have ever had. Flicked in to the water only half smoked.
40 minutes later the tide changed and sure enough the Te Amo goes floating by still burning..
Capt Mike
Old 04-09-09, 11:04 AM   #2
Fishnngolfn

Great story.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-09, 11:06 AM   #3
jcw1503
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Ouch....But the question is would you have caught the 7lber. if that would of never happened. YOu would of been fishing a different spot or that spot at a different time. Maybe the cigar was just slowing you down...just a thought....Funny story...
Old 04-09-09, 12:10 PM   #4
Foyt20
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to Foyt20

Cigars can be very hit or miss. Just because they are expensive dosent mean they are going to be great .

Glad to hear another great Capt story
Old 04-09-09, 03:25 PM   #5
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Great story man. pretty funny too, I can just picture it.

BB
Old 04-09-09, 04:38 PM   #6
The Doc
BassFishin.Com Active Member

BTW, Te Amo's are NOT expensive at all. They are actually one of the cheapest handmades out there. Cigars are my other hobby. If you want a good smoke, go with Fuente, Oliva, or Davidoff.
Old 04-11-09, 10:26 PM   #7
mariner
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

great story
Old 04-11-09, 11:06 PM   #8
VinnyH
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Perseverance...

After all that, you stayed fishing and got the 7 pounder. Congrats!

Best Always,
VinnyH
Old 04-11-09, 11:18 PM   #9
islandbass

For a cigar that means, "I love you," you'd think it would be better. Great story.
Old 04-12-09, 09:23 AM   #10
aikenyounggun

wow these captian stories keep gettin better and better... still caught a 7lber

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.