Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-09, 02:03 PM   #1
Shake n' Bake
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Hi new here and looking for rod help

Hey guys this is my first post but I've been lurking here for a while now. This site is awesome and Kevin's videos are the best I've seen. I've been fishing for about 5 or so seasons now mostly from a canoe with a spinning set-up. I've had success but I want to expand my knowledge and techniques. I just bought a baitcaster the Revo SX 6.4:1. I'm looking for an all purpose rod for this reel basically for spinnerbaits, crankbaits, lipless cranks, and jigs. My price range is in the $75 to $150 range. So far I'm thinking either a 7' MH BPS pro qualifier XPS trigger rod or a 7' MH St. Croix premier series trigger rod. The reviews on both of these rods are great. Anyone have any first hand experience with either of these rods? If anyone can recommend another rod that would be cool too. Thanks. Look forward to getting to know you guys.
Shake n' Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-09, 02:17 PM   #2
rodnreel
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I just got the St. Croix Mojo rod, 7' MH and this thing is awesome. Plus, at right around $90 it's right in the middle of your price range. It has a split grip handle that in my opinion increases sensitivity and a good reel seat that works nice with Revos. I have a Revo SX 7.1:1 on my Mojo rod and it feels really good. I use it for crankin, spinnerbaits, and topwater.
Old 09-17-09, 02:25 PM   #3
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Both rods are good choices. I personally prefer a lighter rod action than MH.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-09, 02:31 PM   #4
Shake n' Bake
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey rodnreel thanks for the info. I was actually considering a Mojo also. The only thing is each Mojo model is specific for a certain kind of bait like the 7' MH fast is classified as a spinnerbait model and the 7' MH moderate as a crankbait model and the 7' M fast a plastics model etc. I shied away from the Mojo's because I wanted something more all purpose rather than bait specific. They are super sweet looking though and I do like the exposed blank. Which model do you have?
Old 09-17-09, 02:41 PM   #5
Shake n' Bake
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUFred View Post
Both rods are good choices. I personally prefer a lighter rod action than MH.
After doing some research I was under the impression that MH is a good choice for spinnerbaits, cranks, small swimbaits, lipless cranks, and weighted plastics while a M rod is a good choice for finesse fishing with weightless worms and such. Any reasons why you prefer a lighter rod?
Old 09-17-09, 02:46 PM   #6
rodnreel

Don't get too caught up into the marketing points they are using to sell the rods. Just because it says it's specifically for spinnerbaits, crankbaits, or plastics doesn't mean you can't use it for all 3 applications. I have the 7' MH fast tip spinnerbait rod, but use it for cranks and jigs also. It works great for all three.
Old 09-17-09, 02:59 PM   #7
Shake n' Bake
BassFishin.Com Member

Any reason you went with the fast tip spinnerbait model over the moderate tip crankbait model?
Old 09-17-09, 03:12 PM   #8
rodnreel

You certainly want that fast tip when using spinners and cranks. It will ensure most of the energy is getting into those baits on the retrieve, really making them spin/wobble the way they are supposed to. Also the faster, softer tip will actually delay the hookset just a tad, allowing the fish to really eat that bait. As far as jigs are concerned, it's really just more of a personal preference for me. I think I gained that by just using my crankbait and spinnerbait rods for jigging. I'm like you, more of a weekend angler so I tend to look for products that work for many different applications.
Old 09-17-09, 03:17 PM   #9
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n' Bake View Post
After doing some research I was under the impression that MH is a good choice for spinnerbaits, cranks, small swimbaits, lipless cranks, and weighted plastics while a M rod is a good choice for finesse fishing with weightless worms and such. Any reasons why you prefer a lighter rod?
I agree with pretty much all of that. Except one thing. I think a M power rod for cranks works much better, especially for lighter, shallow diving ones.

Also, you need to pay attention to the Action of the rods. A crankbait specific rod will most likely have a Moderate or Moderate Fast action, while one specifically for jigs or t-rigs will have a Fast or Extra Fast Action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodnreel View Post
Don't get too caught up into the marketing points they are using to sell the rods. Just because it says it's specifically for spinnerbaits, crankbaits, or plastics doesn't mean you can't use it for all 3 applications. I have the 7' MH fast tip spinnerbait rod, but use it for cranks and jigs also. It works great for all three.
For the most part, this is true. It is mostly advertising. Or if a company pros says, "well, I like fishing jigs on a 7' MH rod," they'll put the word "JIG" on that rod and sell it as technique specific. Now, there are a couple exceptions to this. One is crankbaits like I said earlier. Second is sinnerbaits, but not always. Some sb specific rods are a slower action than other. And the third one is swimbaits, which are fished on fricken broomsticks, lol.

a Fast action is ideal for a general purpose rod, IMO. For power, I'd say MH, because I'd rather be a bit overpowered than under powered. In the mojo series, I think the spinnerbait rod (7' MH F) would be a good general purpose rod. Also check out the Shimano Compre and Crucial series. I personally like them better than St. Croix rods. I'm also not a big fan of BPS rods, although they are still decent rods.

BB
Old 09-17-09, 03:17 PM   #10
Shake n' Bake
BassFishin.Com Member

Awesome. Thanks for the knowledge and saving me a few bucks .
Old 09-17-09, 03:19 PM   #11
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodnreel View Post
You certainly want that fast tip when using spinners and cranks. It will ensure most of the energy is getting into those baits on the retrieve, really making them spin/wobble the way they are supposed to. Also the faster, softer tip will actually delay the hookset just a tad, allowing the fish to really eat that bait. As far as jigs are concerned, it's really just more of a personal preference for me. I think I gained that by just using my crankbait and spinnerbait rods for jigging. I'm like you, more of a weekend angler so I tend to look for products that work for many different applications.
Acutally, a slower tip (moderate action) is much better for cranks. When it comes to spinnerbaits, some say fast action, some say moderate/moderate fast. I use a fast action for spinnerbaits and do fine. I just prefer a shorter rod than 7' for them.

BB
Old 09-17-09, 03:32 PM   #12
AUFred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n' Bake View Post
I prefer a little less stiffness for most applications. MH to me is a good choice for fishing plastics where you are driving the hook thru the bait on hookset. I prefer a little give in my rod on hookset for everything else plus I feel I cast better with a medium action v. MH action. As I stated personal preferences. To me a MH feels like you have mounted your reel to a pool cue.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-09, 03:34 PM   #13
Shake n' Bake
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey thanks for the input BB. This will be my first baitcaster set-up so I'll be learning the technique on this rod. At this point I'm not sure if I could even tell the difference when casting a fast action or moderate action rod. Thats why I'd like a more all purpose rod, something I can learn on and try with multiple baits. Typically I'd be bringing this along with a spinning set-up for finesse fishing weightless worms which is what I'm used to. So it sounds like the MH fast tip is the way to go for me. I also like the fact that in the future once I hone my skills I could try other technique specific rods and build my rod collection.
Old 09-17-09, 03:35 PM   #14
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

finally joined up to jump in the fun,huh?

I too am looking at that Mojo rod....that thing feels great!

alot of all my rods are MH medium tip....
we all sling lures differently..but to me,that type of rod is my ''all purpose'' rod
ranging from 6 to 6'6' for spinners and cranks....7' MH fast for jigs and t-rigs

alot of it just comes to personal preference.....after slinging a few different rods,you'll know what pairs good with what.
Old 09-17-09, 03:35 PM   #15
rodnreel

Hmm...seems I may have a misunderstanding of some bass lingo here. So soft = slow and stiff = fast. I had those mixed up. I guess then it wouldn't be wise to use the same rod for both crankbaits and spinnerbaits?
Old 09-17-09, 03:45 PM   #16
BigBassin144

rnr, it all depends on who you ask. One thing I think a lot of people do (myself included) is get caught up in "what your supposed to use". Just remember, while some rods may do a job better than others, the best rod in the one you already have.

Look at pairs of rods from a few different brands.

St. Croix Mojo Bass:
spinnerbait- 7' ; MH ; F
crankbait- 7' ;MH ; M

Fenwick Elite Tech:
spinnerbait - 6'10" ; MH ; MF
crankbait - 7'/7'3" ; M/MH ; MF

Shimano Crucial:
spinnerbait - 6'6" ; M/MH ; F/XF
crankbait - 7' ; M ; MF

Now there's more in these series than what I listed for the specific applications, but that's enough to make my point.

While pretty much every crankbait rod on the market is M or MF, you can get a spinnerbait rod from M all the way to XF. I think with spinnerbaits, it's just personal preference. I also think, a slower action will help when casting smaller spinnerbaits.

BB
Old 09-17-09, 03:57 PM   #17
rodnreel

I like that line of thinking BB. That's kind of where I was trying to go when I told Shake n Bake not to worry about the label companies put on the rods. I'll keep that in mind the next time I make a rod purchase.
Old 09-18-09, 05:53 AM   #18
dodgeguy

get the pro qualifier.it has fuji alconite guides and the mojo has batson aluminum oxide guides.the fuji alconites are better.the pro qualifier is also better graphite.i use nothing but bps rods (johnny morris signature) and love them.
Old 09-18-09, 08:21 AM   #19
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I'd say you would be good with the St.Croix Premier in MH or M. It's a good general purpose rod that will last. Narrow it down to a few different ones and then go to the store and pick them all up and see which you like best.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-09, 09:12 AM   #20
keithdog

Welcome to the site Shake n Bake. I have the exact setup your thinking about. My Revo SX is paired up with a Pro Qualifier rod and I absolutely love this combo. The rod is a 6 1/2ft MH rod with a fast tip. While no combo will do it all, this setup comes pretty darn close. It is one of two spinnerbait combos I use. I also use it with surface baits, t rigged soft platics, medium to large crankbaits, jigs, and so on. A 7 foot rod would also be a great choice as well. As for crankbaits, I prefer a medium action rod and have two of those setup just for cranks, but the Revo SX on a medium heavy Pro Qualifier rod will work very well with medium to larger crankbaits. It's a great all around outfit.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-09, 07:28 PM   #21
dodgeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
Welcome to the site Shake n Bake. I have the exact setup your thinking about. My Revo SX is paired up with a Pro Qualifier rod and I absolutely love this combo. The rod is a 6 1/2ft MH rod with a fast tip. While no combo will do it all, this setup comes pretty darn close. It is one of two spinnerbait combos I use. I also use it with surface baits, t rigged soft platics, medium to large crankbaits, jigs, and so on. A 7 foot rod would also be a great choice as well. As for crankbaits, I prefer a medium action rod and have two of those setup just for cranks, but the Revo SX on a medium heavy Pro Qualifier rod will work very well with medium to larger crankbaits. It's a great all around outfit.
gotta agree!!!niether the st.croix mojo or premier hold a candle to the pro qualifier!!!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.