Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Poll: The "Case" for hard tackle boxes
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
The "Case" for hard tackle boxes

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-06-09, 12:18 PM   #1
Vegasspider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Soft sided tackle bags verses Hard tackle boxes.

I am lucky enough to have a boat so most of my gear is stored and with me at all times. But from time to time I travel to fish as a non boater and need to carry a bag. I struggle with not taking up too much space on the pros boat (Or friends if I go out with a friend on their boat) and can never seem to take enough gear. http://capmel.com/CaseHardBox.htm I like his article and pluses of the hard sided boxes. I tend to agree sometimes with the canvas bags the hunt is on and not to mention the noise of pulling boxes in and out.I used to live in Florida and I still view Cap Mels site www.capmel.com a few times a week. He has a local radio fishing show.
What do you think? Hard boxes or soft sides?
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-09, 12:50 PM   #2
jmartin
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have had many hard boxes, recently I have started buying bags I now have replaced all my boxes with Falcon Bags with Falcon boxes. They are just easier to handle.

Jerry
Old 10-06-09, 01:37 PM   #3
rodnreel

I use the BPS XPS Stalker Bag and I absolutely love the thing. The main compartment is big enough for me to fit all of my tackle in along with 2 fillet knives and a bag full of soft plastics. It also has a pull out waterproof cover that has come in handy a few times. I will agree that the soft sided bags are more suitable for on the go fisherman. When I purchased the Stalker bag I was doing a lot of shore fishing, so it worked well for me and I just haven't changed it since then.
Old 10-06-09, 02:22 PM   #4
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I have a Gander Mountain Flambeau "Base Camp" tackle bag which holds 6 full size boxes, two smaller boxes, a spinnerbait box, and numerous pouches and pockets. In addition, it has rollers and a tow handle for those fishing trips that go through airports.

It is far and away better than any hard tackle box I have ever owned.
Old 10-06-09, 02:54 PM   #5
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Im currently using the Plano tackle bags..I cant remember the dang size...Its big,but not enough compartments...I about to bust out of it,lol

Rodnreel-Ive been looking at that stalker bag...I love the idea of wearing it like a backpack since I mainly fish shore which will make it easier cutting through brush and nudist camps...Plus it looks like it will hold everything I have.

NoFear- wheels and a tow handle,huh?..Thats so fancy I cant even focus in on a joke,Lol
Old 10-06-09, 03:13 PM   #6
rodnreel

Waffle, I think the Stalker fits 5 370 size boxes if I'm not mistaken. I only have 3 boxes in mine, 1 for terminal, 1 for cranks, and 1 for jigs plus a big bag of assorted soft plastics. All that fits easily with room to spare (maybe even enough room to bring one of those nudists back with you ).
Old 10-06-09, 03:33 PM   #7
bassboogieman

Soft sided for me. I have a few (like maybe 7 or 8) that I use occasionally. I also have a boat with loads of storage, but when I'm on a buddy's boat I put a few boxes of lures and plastics in one. They also double as storage bags when I go off for a few days of fishing. Spare tackle, props, boat/motor parts, tools, rain gear, jackets, etc. gets packed in them and stay in the back of the truck. Different color bags makes it easy to get what I want when needed. I always take too much gear, but better to have too much than need something and not have it.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-09, 04:19 PM   #8
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post

NoFear- wheels and a tow handle,huh?..Thats so fancy I cant even focus in on a joke,Lol
Yeah...I'm pretty sure, however, that it would have to be checked baggage. I can't see them letting me carry on a bunch of fish hooks and fillet knives.
Old 10-06-09, 04:24 PM   #9
islandbass

Soft sided for me. It suits my needs as a shore angler. I can quickly switch out different planos to suit what my gut says to take. Same bag, different innards. This is maximum flexibility for lure selection and easier to lug through the brush.

If I had a boat, I think I would still subscribe to this philosophy.
Old 10-06-09, 07:48 PM   #10
rrw4258

I use a Plano Magnum bag, here are some pics of my tackle that I take as a non boater... 7 3700's, 6 gallon sized ziplocs full of plastics. A full 38 pounds of tackle.

Ryan
Old 10-06-09, 07:57 PM   #11
CMorg

Man Ryan , that things a hoss... how much was that thing ??
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-09, 09:16 PM   #12
rrw4258

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMorg View Post
Man Ryan , that things a hoss... how much was that thing ??
Surprisingly, it was only $29 on clearance at Dick's... it has held up great for over 2 years. Still looks like new. Not a rip or tear in it. You can't beat the durability.

Ryan
Old 10-06-09, 10:38 PM   #13
Love of the Sport

I use this. It was a bit pricey but its really well made , comes with containers and suits my needs perfectly.

Love of the Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-09, 11:17 PM   #14
Vegasspider

Default Real Deal

Man that looks like the perfect well thought out rig. Nice job. I see lots of time, money, passion and pride in your gear. Again, nice real nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw4258 View Post
I use a Plano Magnum bag, here are some pics of my tackle that I take as a non boater... 7 3700's, 6 gallon sized ziplocs full of plastics. A full 38 pounds of tackle.

Ryan
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-09, 11:44 PM   #15
Bender

I agree, that is the best job of organizing I have seen. I'll have to look for that tackle bag, looks big enough but still made to carry around. Definitely like the soft bag though so you can take whatever "plano" boxes you need.

I have most everything I own in my boat, every compartment is full and I have to use a crappy soft sided bag (that is falling apart) to hold extra plastics sitting between the seats. For this reason I have a real hard time fishing out of other people's boats since I can't just grab a few things and go.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-09, 09:44 AM   #16
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw4258 View Post
Surprisingly, it was only $29 on clearance at Dick's... it has held up great for over 2 years. Still looks like new. Not a rip or tear in it. You can't beat the durability.

Ryan

Ryan,I cant see the pics and Im curious if we bought the same bag (probably not) but I too bought a huge plano bag from Dick's for around $30....I couldnt find any ''soft'' magnum bags online...You know any links?
Thanks.....W

Old 10-09-09, 11:16 AM   #17
rrw4258

Quote:
Ryan,I cant see the pics and Im curious if we bought the same bag (probably not) but I too bought a huge plano bag from Dick's for around $30....I couldnt find any ''soft'' magnum bags online...You know any links?
Thanks.....W

I don't think they make it anymore, I haven't seen any for over a year. Mine is blue, and gray, and is designed to hold 6 3700's, but you can fit one more on top. It came with 6 3700's with red latches on them. It is similar to this cabela's bag but it is blue/gray...

Ryan
Old 10-09-09, 11:29 AM   #18
WaffleJaw

Ryan- Ok that makes sense why I couldnt find them,lol.
Yea thier not the same.
I found the exact bag ,color and all that I carry...Its just a large soft sider...Great bag.Only compliant is that it could use an extra compartment or two for those extra accessories.

They always look smaller in the picture,ha!

Old 10-09-09, 12:09 PM   #19
AUFred

The big bags with lots of boxes are great but a bit much to carry sometimes. I have two double sided boxes I carry most trips which hold most everything except my soft plastics. I put them in softside bags.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-09, 10:01 PM   #20
michaellynn
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Ryan- Ok that makes sense why I couldnt find them,lol.
Yea thier not the same.
I found the exact bag ,color and all that I carry...Its just a large soft sider...Great bag.Only compliant is that it could use an extra compartment or two for those extra accessories.

They always look smaller in the picture,ha!

Do you have a link to this?
michaellynn is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.