Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-10, 04:29 PM   #1
CMorg
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Deadsticking a topwater

I was at the lake recently and noticed a bluegill clinging to life , its tail was down , head at the surface. It had the occasional twitch and a slight roll. I kept the troller on and went past it slowely. I got a bit away from it , and wham. I turned around to notice the fish was no more. Got me to thinking. What if you deadstick a topwater around likely fish hangouts ? Now , it was a hot afternoon , and the fish was about 15' offshore , no noticable cover nearby. I think a good realistic floating swimbait deadsticked may just produce..
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-10, 04:36 PM   #2
cassidyta

CMorg,

That is one of my go to techniques over tall grasses. Especially if the fish have been recently busting. I mainly use both a 4" BBZ-1 and a Mattslure hard bodied bluegill for this.
I will usually cast directly at the splash and wait. the twitch that I use is very light. I really just move the slack in the line.
Old 07-13-10, 04:39 PM   #3
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Bass are curious creatures even when wary. My grandfather used to catch a lot of big bass on topwater. Watching him fish topwater was excrutiatingly slow but the results spoke for themselves. He would throw his bait into a likely spot and stop and light a cigarette. After a couple of drags he would twitch his bait ever so slightly and wait for the rings on the water to disappate. Another slight twitch and another wait. He would do this several times retrieve..wash..rinse..repeat.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-10, 04:39 PM   #4
DaveW731
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default You are right!

In fact, to immitate that "tail down" look, take an old wooden topwater bait and either wrap some lead wire around the tail hook, or if the bait is big enough, drill a hole towards the back and tap in some split shots, so the bait sits at about a 45 degree angle in the water. Not only does this make it look like a dying baitfish, you can twitch the rod tip just enough to cause some rings and keep the bait in the same 5 ft area for 15 minutes.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-10, 04:40 PM   #5
Kevin
Administrator

Deadsticking a floating swimbait works GREAT. But the problem is you need three things... 1) Clear water, 2) Wind and 3) Waves/Ripples.

I've never had luck with this pattern on calm days, but if you get wind blown points or banks where there is significant wave action, deadsticking a floating hard swimbait can get a toad. You won't even have to swim the bait to get bit... just cast it out, let it sit in the waves, and they'll come up and suck it down.

Many of you know I'm a big fan of the line-thru soft swimbaits a bit more, but deadsticking a floating swimbait is where the hard swimbaits really shine.
Old 07-13-10, 04:43 PM   #6
AUFred

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUFred View Post
Bass are curious creatures even when wary. My grandfather used to catch a lot of big bass on topwater. Watching him fish topwater was excrutiatingly slow but the results spoke for themselves. He would throw his bait into a likely spot and stop and light a cigarette. After a couple of drags he would twitch his bait ever so slightly and wait for the rings on the water to disappate. Another slight twitch and another wait. He would do this several times retrieve..wash..rinse..repeat.

This was his topwater of choice:

As a matter of fact I put one in his casket at his funeral. Happy Fishing Grand-Dad.
Old 07-13-10, 05:16 PM   #7
walkeraviator

Heddon torpedos sit nose up in teh water naturally thanks to the wait of teh prop on the back... this could be a bait to try teh dead stick with...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-10, 05:40 PM   #8
islandbass

The new rapala skitter pops also sit tail down. Great observation.
Old 07-13-10, 05:41 PM   #9
cassidyta

If you are focusing on deadsticking or just twitching, a crankbait can be used as well. In fact, if the swimbait technique is not working, the smaller profile of a crank can often do the trick.
Old 07-13-10, 06:32 PM   #10
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Caught more than a few just letting it sit.
Old 07-13-10, 07:31 PM   #11
Bassboss

Yeha, I've done that with my floating bbz-1 before in the afternoon before. It works very well, but you gotta be patient. believe it or not I found it out when I was fishing live bait.. and not in the way you may expect. I had a live bream soaking, a bit away from me, and I was fishing my floating BBZ. I saw my rod tipping over, about ready to go over the side of the bridge. So I quick sat my rod down (not having time to reel it in all the way, so the bait was still floating on the water), and ran over to get my rod and the fish on the other end. After landing the fish, I go to walk over to my other rod, and right as I pick it up, the bass slams it! So I set the hook and catch it. Both fish where around 4lbs. Since then I frequently dead stick my swimbait, just giving it slight twitches, and taking about 5 minutes to bring it in. I've also used rapala floating minnows (both jointed and un-jointed). Works well as well.

Good luck
Old 07-13-10, 07:32 PM   #12
Bassboss

Quote:
This was his topwater of choice:

As a matter of fact I put one in his casket at his funeral. Happy Fishing Grand-Dad.
HAHA I just made one of thoughs, lol! Thanks for the tip, lol!
Old 07-14-10, 04:12 AM   #13
BassFeverJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMorg View Post
I was at the lake recently and noticed a bluegill clinging to life , its tail was down , head at the surface. It had the occasional twitch and a slight roll. I kept the troller on and went past it slowely. I got a bit away from it , and wham. I turned around to notice the fish was no more. Got me to thinking. What if you deadstick a topwater around likely fish hangouts ? Now , it was a hot afternoon , and the fish was about 15' offshore , no noticable cover nearby. I think a good realistic floating swimbait deadsticked may just produce..

I'm certainly going to try that. Thanks...
Old 07-14-10, 07:24 AM   #14
Ebbetsguy

Try this on a good windy day, with some chop on the wter

Take a #13 Jointed Rapala ( Silver/blk back or Gold/blk back)
Take needle nose pliers and turn the eye in the front of the bait you tie your line to
by doing this enough your bait will come in favoring the right or left as you reel it in
Toss it out a good distance, and get the slack out of your line, and kind of jig
or twitch your rod about 3 to5 times, then stop, wait a few minutes, bring it in a bit and retrieve.Then keep doing this stop and go all the way back to the boat. If you can do that, VERY SLOWLY it looks like a bait fish dying on top, and some of the strikes are just Epic!!!!!!
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-10, 08:21 AM   #15
Mac2

We've had success doing it with a weighted Rapala minnow in the original black, silver white with the size 11, a small splitshot on the back hook.......sitting for a pause, then slightly twitching.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-10, 08:23 AM   #16
Captmikestarrett

Yes deadsticking works.. I have a theory I will share with you..

If it is agravating to go so slow ,,,imagine how much it agravates the bass.

FIRST Rule of topwater:

1: Go fast at first and keep going slower till it works.

Or you die of boredom and switch to a worm.

Capt Mike
Old 07-14-10, 10:29 AM   #17
Ebbetsguy

Hey Capt. Of keep the worm rigged, and if you are reeling in any topwater and get a short strike ( usually from moving your bait too fast) pick up the worm rig and throw it right at the spot you saw the boil, many times you will get an agressivly feeding fish this way
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-10, 11:45 AM   #18
AUFred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbetsguy View Post
Hey Capt. Of keep the worm rigged, and if you are reeling in any topwater and get a short strike ( usually from moving your bait too fast) pick up the worm rig and throw it right at the spot you saw the boil, many times you will get an agressivly feeding fish this way
I know that is true on a spinnerbait or buzzbait.
Old 07-15-10, 04:56 PM   #19
DaveW731

Quote:
I know that is true on a spinnerbait or buzzbait.
Also a good tactic when tossing topwaters if the short strikes are more swirls than splashes, suggesting the fish don't quite want to break the surface. If it is more splash than swirl, let the bait sit about 10 seconds, then make a quick movement, as if a stunned minnow is regaining consciousness.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-10, 07:40 PM   #20
geezer1

Years ago, there was a floating topwater bait that sat vertical when paused. I believe it was called the Devil's Toothpick. A lot of guys would work that thing painfully slow & were successful with it. I had one & I hated the darned thing. Probably because I sucked at using it (lack of patience). After reading CMorg's post, and age has taught me to be a little more analytical, I wish I still had it. Go figure.
geezer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-10, 09:45 PM   #21
CamG

My dad has been deadsticking floating Rapalas for years...and he catches "big bass" of the day most of the time.

My favorite deadsticking topwater is a Iovino Splash It. They can't resist that thing floating above them.

However, I very rarely find myself doing this technique even though I know it works awesome...just too dang boring.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-10, 08:35 AM   #22
Mac2

Another old timer lure was the Hootnanny, sitting tail down in the water with the concave face of a popper as I recall.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.