Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-10, 06:41 PM   #1
KSH
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Fishing a pond with no structure

I've been fishing a small pond, maybe an acre or two with reasonable results. However, the only structure seems to be a sand hump on one side of the pond. When I first fished this pond in the spring, it was dynamite since the bass were bedding and they were scattered around the pond on beds. However, In the summer, I am only able to catch fish off this hump. But it's hard to believe that all the fish are concentrated on this one piece of cover.
Old 07-22-10, 07:58 PM   #2
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Fancasting a lipless crankbait or a spinnerbait might work. How deep is the pond? Crankbaits digging the bottom might bring good results too.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-10, 09:57 PM   #3
coachpurdy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Fish will concentrate during the summer (in ponds) unless something triggers them to feed. Moon phases, overcast skies or even approaching thunderstorms can be triggers and will offer different opportunities for you. Also, fall will be approaching soon (I know the tempature will still be hot for awhile but the days will begin to shorten) and this should produce some better fishing. I love to fish topwater baits during these times, pay close attention to what they are feeding on and try to mimick the b
coachpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-10, 10:20 PM   #4
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Try expanding your idea of structure beyond the bottom contours. In a situation as yours, a weed edge, a log, a freshwater inflow, the line where clear water meets dirty water, and even shade can all be concidered structure. Also, a pond that size, with owners permission, you could over time add pieces of cover to be fish attractants.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-10, 12:59 AM   #5
KSH
BassFishin.Com Member

The majority of the pond is covered in some kind of vegatation on bottom. and there are no logs or inflows, no shade either, and it's a pond on a golf course so I don't think I could pass in putting cover in..
Old 07-23-10, 03:25 AM   #6
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

Its a pond. Dont make the mistake of saying fish do this at this time of year while most of them just might... go outside the box they arent going to be doing the same thing everyday. If theres no cover and vegatation on the floor use senkos, wake a spinner, tip the grass with a tattle. As some one who started fishing ponds and went onto clear deep water reservoir impoundents its shooting fish in a bucket. If there is like you say no cover those fish will be spread out all over the pond all you need to do is realize what the bite is for that day. For example, if the wind is blowing to the north fish the north side with a spinner or rattle. If its a dog day focus on the "hump" or create your own structure in the pond all it takes is a tree branch.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.