Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-10, 08:34 AM   #1
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Beat the heat this weekend

Gonna be fishing All weekend in the heat.

Freeze several water bottles.
Wear protective SPF clothes and avoid suntan lotions.
Place a towel in the cooler for core cooling.
Fish in the shade if possible.
Hydrate and piss alot.
Bring gatoraid.
Eat but eat light.

The one thing that I was always told not to do was drink coffee.. but I was wrong..

"Caffeine has diuretic properties when administered in sufficient doses to subjects that do not have a tolerance for it. Regular users, however, develop a strong tolerance to this effect, and studies have generally failed to support the common notion that ordinary consumption of caffeinated beverages contributes significantly to dehydration"

That is news to me..

Stay cool.

Capt Mike
Old 07-23-10, 09:21 AM   #2
Kevin
Administrator

I agree that caffeine is not a threat to proper hydration. Caffeine has saved me from countless heat headaches. I usually just drink one soda towards the latter part of the day and it will get rid of any slight onset of a headache.

I eat a TON on the boat when it's hot though. Yesterday it was 95 degrees and I ate 3 foot long subs packed with meat and cheese and mayo throughout the course of 12 hours on the water. I'd get a headache for sure if I didn't eat good.

I don't know how you long sleeve guys do it!
Old 07-23-10, 10:07 AM   #3
rrw4258

Yep guys, stay hydrated out there. Heat index between 105-110 here today in Northern Ohio. I won't be fishing today though... ill be fighting the monkey in the tackle shop. Stay Safe...

Ryan
Old 07-23-10, 10:14 AM   #4
WaffleJaw

I remember on a job interview I went to.(for plumbing)..Where me and the employer were talking about wearing long sleeves in the heat...I said its crazy how I see lawnservice people will wear long sleeves in 100 degree weather...Hey laughed and said he used to do that,and that the long sleeve actually keep you cooler because of blocking the sunlight and something about the sweat not evaporating so fast,...or something

I didnt get the job,btw....I dont shave my beard for no one!!
Old 07-23-10, 12:11 PM   #5
Ground Pounder
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Honestly, good, stout underclothes (especially undershirts and socks) and good headgear will give you the one-up in the heat.

I work for an open-die forge shop here in Michigan, and the temp is over 90 with 100% humidity today. The veteran press guys are working all day with 10,000 lb pieces of steel that are over 1,500 degrees, and they're all wearing long johns and long clothing. I'm not smart enough to know the dynamics of it, but some of these guys have been here 30+ years, so I'd be inclined to follow their advice.

Another tip - check out those gelpacks that the endurance sports guys eat. They work great, especially if you're another Ground Pounder like myself, and they don't come with some of the bellyaches and constant trips to the latrine that chugging bunches of water and gatorade can lead to.

GP
Ground Pounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-10, 12:37 PM   #6
66KingFisher

Suppose to be 104 in the shade here tomorrow.......I suppose i'll break out my wide brimmed straw hat to help keep my head cool, and keep the sun from fryin the back of my neck....I normally wear ballcaps but in this heat i'll wear straw....really keeps my head cooler......We always take plenty of liquids, and we periodicly find shady spots to keep from cookin too bad.
Old 07-23-10, 12:37 PM   #7
3dkicker

Fluids and salt. Plenty of both and you'll be alright. Acclimitization is also a key. Takes up to two weeks to get accustomed to working outdoors in the heat. If you are used to being in AC all day everyday then you'll want to take extra precautions.
Old 07-23-10, 02:07 PM   #8
geezer1

Capt Mike...Good news (to me) about the coffee. I've got to have my thermos full no matter how hot it is. I need to consider the long sleeved shirt in the sun thing for sure. Anyway, if you have to be out in the sun, what better way to do it than to fish! Give 'em hell this weekend. Good fishing.
geezer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-10, 09:40 PM   #9
skeeter1804

I've got a 2 day tournament this weekend with 97 degrees forecasted. I even went to Bass Pro today and bought one of those ugly hats with a curtain in the back. Everyone be safe this weekend.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-10, 09:46 PM   #10
bcklash

[QUOTE= I ate 3 foot long subs packed with meat and cheese and mayo throughout the course of 12 hours on the water [/QUOTE]

That Chinesse looking hotdog eatin foo KOBEOUCHI (SP) ain't got nutin on you
Old 07-23-10, 09:51 PM   #11
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Since I have low blood sugar I have to eat when my body tells me to eat, this is usually when I get dizzy and feel like I am about to pass out. I have never actually passed out but I did end up laying in the living room floor one time, I was awake but unable to move so I just laid there until Britney got home from work and could get me some peanut butter crackers then I was fine. Now I pack peanut butter crackers with me every trip. I usually just snack on these a few times during the day and mix in an energy bar or two and I am good to go. I feel a lot more alert and focused when I have something on my stomach.

Here is a product that I have been hearing a lot of good things about, I will probably be buying one soon. http://www.froggtoggs.com/#cooling/

Drink tons of water like was said above.
Old 07-25-10, 01:08 PM   #12
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

well,well,well..........so my coca-colas are GOOD fer me eh? hahahaha! gonna show this to the wifey. it is almost unbearabley hot here, over 100 with the heat index. lisa and i are putting the steel siding on my shop. do a little in the morning, then some more later in the evening. got 3 sides done, 1 more to go. but it is truly hotter than hades out there.
as for wearing longsleaves.......i gotta tell you about my mothers father. he was an old farmer (share-cropper) and he NEVER wore shorts,tee shirts out farming his garden. he always wore THICK overalls, and a LONG sleave shirt. i asked him why once. he took me over to his well, drew up some water, stuck his arms in up to the elbow. told me the water acted like a cooler of sorts, wet sleaves cooled the blood flowing through oyur entire body. then it made sense. but do i do this? nope, too darn dumb i guess. wide brim hats work too. not the baseball caps we all (most of us anyway) wear. if we paid attention to what our fore fathers did, we might not be so sickly huh? as for drinking water, that is fine. but i like the gatorade, it puts back what you sweat out.. lol

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.