Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-10, 04:48 PM   #1
CiK
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Why Black??

Black is the popular lure color when night fishing. I don't argue this because I know it works. I wonder why though. Anybody here have a scientific explanation to satisfy a curious mind? Is this because of limitations in a bass' visual capacity, or is it because of Isaac Newton?

Tony
CiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-10, 05:08 PM   #2
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

A black lure will have a darker silhouette than a white/clear/green one. Many times the lure will be between the fish and the surface, so you want something that stands out as much as possible against the slightly lighter background.
That's why most fish have a darker back and light belly...it's harder to see something that's almost the same color as what's behind it.
Old 07-23-10, 05:30 PM   #3
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

The reason this works is because black actually contrasts more against the dull gray (to a night-sensitive bass' eyes, of course) of night time than the white spinnerbait. White only looks white because there is lots of light reflecting off of it. At night, that white is going to look gray to the bass just like everything else.

During the day, the white will contrast more than the black.
Old 07-23-10, 07:20 PM   #4
CiK

Sorry guys! I am either being dense about this or I am missing something deeper. Just not getting it, from a scientific point of view.

Tony
CiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-10, 07:30 PM   #5
spruce
BassFishin.Com Member

take a white plug and hold it up above your head at night, now do the same with a black one. you will be able to see the black one better while looking "up" at it.
spruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-10, 09:25 PM   #6
Ebbetsguy

It works I don't care why. it just works thats good enough for me
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-10, 10:17 PM   #7
walkeraviator

NOFear nailed it. The reason a white luer appears white is because it reflects all wavelengths of light and a black one appears black because it absorbs all wavelengths of light. At night, light is lower and therefore leaves less to be reflected from teh white lure, so it appears to be teh same shade as everything in the background (starligh or moonight or docklights whatever)... Black however still absorbs all the wavelengths making its silhouette more pronounced to the fishes eye.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-10, 04:50 AM   #8
islandbass

I just want to clarify something. An object will appear a certain color because it reflects that certain color and absorbs all other colors and our eyes perceive that reflected light.

Take for example a red apple. When visible light hits the skin of an undamaged red apple, its skin reflects red light and absorbs all other light.

In addition to this, to compound and complicate things a bit more, the distance you are from the object and the medium through which the light (air or water and with or without particles or other matter in either) is travelling before it reaches your eyes can markedly influence how we see or perceive an object's color.

If something absorbed all wavelengths of light and didn't reflect any light, I am sorry to say, but we could not visually detect it. Human eyes need visible light to see and visible light is such a tiny part of the light spectrum. If you want an example of something that would absorb all light you need not look any further than a black hole. For those puppies, although not visible to the human eye, we can "see" or more accurately "detect" them by looking for areas where gravitational forces are very high.

Sorry to go geek-bass mode.

Anyway, I digress. Spruce has provided a nice visual. Lastly, if you guys want more information on this subject look for a book called, "What Fish See," by Dr. Colin Kageyama. Not only will you crush the fluff and heresay, you could potentially save $ on your color selection of lures, more than you would switching to Geico.

Last edited by islandbass; 07-25-10 at 01:09 PM.
islandbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-10, 08:51 AM   #9
Mac2

Great Posts.....thanks, Mac

When fishing the black shad Culprit with the black back and silver belly in daylight, we started fishing them on the hook with the black side down and the silver side up thinking it would show up better from beneath with the black sillouette and when swimming would show up better with the bright side reflecting light better when going through suspended fish and showing better on the bottom.

No scientific evidence other than we caught fish and it worked well at dusk and dark as well as in daylight. We still fish it that way upon occasion. Good Fishing, Mac
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-10, 09:39 AM   #10
walkeraviator

Just to clarify... there is no such thing as black light... Roy G Biv remember? So an object indeed appears black because it absorbs light and reflects very little... this is why black top is so much hotter than concrete... it is absorbing all the light which includes the radiant energy heating teh surface... same reason a black car gets hotter inside in the sun than a white car...
Old 07-25-10, 12:46 PM   #11
islandbass

Thanks, walker. I was typing too quickly and not thinking through completely about the black.
Old 07-27-10, 05:49 PM   #12
walkeraviator

Just had another thought...(please forgive the over in depth explanation)

The human eye has two different sections on the retina. The Cones are in the center of your eye that conatin Iodopsine which allows us to see colors, but are not very sensative to light. This is great during the day when you get a lot of light to your eye.

IN low light consitions, the rods that surround these cones are more sensative to light but are covered in Rhodospin which reacts to light but only in gray scale (black/white)... this is why you can see an object better at night if you look slightly to one side of it or the other...

If a fishes eye is anything like ours it may simply be more perceptive to black and white shades as the Rhodopsin is more succeptable to low light conditions...

This is all stuff i learned while studying aeromedical stuff to become a pilot, and today it just hit me out of nowhere that this could be a good reason for using black at night...
Old 07-27-10, 07:32 PM   #13
Vegasspider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default What he said

This is 100% spot on. I lost a 6 pack bet on this topic. We tested it in the bathtub. An awful lot of "Well I 'll be damn"... Don't ask why just do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
The reason this works is because black actually contrasts more against the dull gray (to a night-sensitive bass' eyes, of course) of night time than the white spinnerbait. White only looks white because there is lots of light reflecting off of it. At night, that white is going to look gray to the bass just like everything else.

During the day, the white will contrast more than the black.
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-10, 12:40 PM   #14
geezer1

Black works for me.....ALL the time. Black 6" lizard, mostly.
geezer1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.