Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-10, 12:48 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Fused braid for casting reels?

Last time I had braid on a reel, I was not to happy with it. I LOVE the sensitivity of it though, but I also HATE the roughness of it (Power Pro). Just from feeling it in the store, fused lines seem much smoother than braided lines. I've heard they also have more memory, but if it's anything less than CXX it's fine with me.

So does anyone use fused braid on there baitcasters? If you have and don't like it, why? And last, what's your favorite fused braid?
Old 07-13-10, 01:00 PM   #2
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

There are only 2 fused superlines (which are different than braided lines) that I know of. Fireline and Sufix Performance fuse.

I tried Fireline a year ago and hated it.

Stick with braided lines. They are rounder and smoother the more carriers they have and the tighter the weave (higher pick count).

Sufix Performance braid is 6 carriers at 30-40lb, and 8 carriers at 50lb+. Powerpro is only 4 carriers across the whole spectrum. Also, fireline braid, spiderwire ultracat and stealth braid have 8 carriers. The stealth is a less expensive 8 carrier line, but I suspect the pick count is lower than the more expensive ultracast.

I'd go with 50lb sufix, or any Spiderwire Stealth or Ultracast. Fireline braid would work too, but it's the most expensive.

BB
Old 07-13-10, 01:04 PM   #3
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
There are only 2 fused superlines (which are different than braided lines) that I know of. Fireline and Sufix Performance fuse.

I tried Fireline a year ago and hated it.

Stick with braided lines. They are rounder and smoother the more carriers they have and the tighter the weave (higher pick count).

Sufix Performance braid is 6 carriers at 30-40lb, and 8 carriers at 50lb+. Powerpro is only 4 carriers across the whole spectrum. Also, fireline braid, spiderwire ultracat and stealth braid have 8 carriers. The stealth is a less expensive 8 carrier line, but I suspect the pick count is lower than the more expensive ultracast.

I'd go with 50lb sufix, or any Spiderwire Stealth or Ultracast. Fireline braid would work too, but it's the most expensive.

BB
Stealth is 8 carriers? That's cool. I've used it though and really hate it. it is smooth, but the threads also come apart easy, and it absorbs water. So it's pretty crappy stuff, lol!

And all the others are super expensive. I think it would be hard as he77 to spend over 35 bucks on line!!
Old 07-13-10, 01:17 PM   #4
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Best braid I've used is the Suffix. Fireline I don't like at all, really stiff when fresh and I don't think I'd even try another "fused" line because of that. The Suffix is round and reallly good stuff, I use 20# on all my spinning gear, 50# on the jig & frog rods.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-10, 02:29 PM   #5
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Stealth is 8 carriers? That's cool. I've used it though and really hate it. it is smooth, but the threads also come apart easy, and it absorbs water. So it's pretty crappy stuff, lol!

And all the others are super expensive. I think it would be hard as he77 to spend over 35 bucks on line!!
Yes it does have 8 carriers. I have noticed they fray apart at the end easily but haven't had any problems on the line. I think this is due to a lower pick count (looser weave).

As for absorbing water... All braid does. You won't be able to find a braid that doesn't.

Also, remember you can always buy a 110-150yd spool instead of a 300yd spool for $35. I can get 2 spools out of a 125yd spool of stealth, and you could probably even get three with enough backing.

BB
Old 07-13-10, 02:57 PM   #6
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Yes it does have 8 carriers. I have noticed they fray apart at the end easily but haven't had any problems on the line. I think this is due to a lower pick count (looser weave).

As for absorbing water... All braid does. You won't be able to find a braid that doesn't.

Also, remember you can always buy a 110-150yd spool instead of a 300yd spool for $35. I can get 2 spools out of a 125yd spool of stealth, and you could probably even get three with enough backing.

BB
I think that the best deal is gonna be the spider wire ultra cast.

Does line smoothness go up higher lb test? Or does it stay pretty much the same no water what pound test you get? I know that the higher you go with sufix the more weaves it has. But will a 8 weave line in 20lb, be smoother than 50lb of the same line? Also if I get the braid, tie a leader with it, the knot will have a hard time going through the micro guides on the Kistler. Cal from TT says that when you tighten the leader with this , that it'll make it smaller and will go through the guides fine. How do you think that works?!

Last edited by Bassboss; 07-13-10 at 03:02 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-10, 03:11 PM   #7
nofearengineer

Bassboss,

I would wait until you have a Kistler with Micro Guides before you start basing your line choice on it.

That's kind of like saying I'm going to put super unleaded in my Dodge Dakota because I plan on buying a Lamborghini next year.
Old 07-13-10, 05:11 PM   #8
bassboogieman

Well I'm burning regular unleaded in my Lamborghini, cause I'm buying a Neon next month. The Lamborghini is just too expensive to drive to work.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-10, 06:36 PM   #9
Rebbasser

I'm still a powerpro guy. Been using it for years, and have no complaints so why change?

Bottom line, though, is something I have said many times before: Use what works for YOU, not somebody else.
Old 07-14-10, 02:17 PM   #10
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I still think the original Fireline is the best superline on the market. Not super limp so you don't have it loop around the end of your rod.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-10, 07:37 PM   #11
geezer1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

POWER PRO...POWER PRO...rah, rah, rah.
geezer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-10, 09:32 PM   #12
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Well I'm burning regular unleaded in my Lamborghini, cause I'm buying a Neon next month. The Lamborghini is just too expensive to drive to work.

Lmao .

Power pro hear too, I started with spiderwire then tried fireline , but have stuck with power pro no complaints about it so no need to try another braid

Jim
Old 07-16-10, 03:19 PM   #13
dave0943
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I 've had very good luck with Stealth. I've talked to so many people that ask me how can I use that c--p. I guess for the money, it hasn't let me down. I do get a green thumb now and then.
dave0943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-10, 04:20 PM   #14
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave0943 View Post
I 've had very good luck with Stealth. I've talked to so many people that ask me how can I use that c--p. I guess for the money, it hasn't let me down. I do get a green thumb now and then.
No problems yet with Stealth although I haven't used it but a couple times. I like the smoothness for the price.

No braid keeps its color for very long, it's just the nature of Spectra and Dyneema fibers to not hold dye very well.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.