Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-10, 11:40 AM   #1
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default New, Smaller tackle bags?

I was wanting to spend my 23 ebay bucks before they expire on something I actually need.

I was looking at a 3000yd spool of 10lb InvizX, but it was $120. A good deal, but I don't really need that much.

I need a new tackle bag, because my POS Gander one is falling apart. I guess I can't really blame it, as I'm sure I have exceeded its design weight capacity by a good 150%.

I was also looking at some Plano 3701 boxes (the slim kind). Two problems: They are only $5 each on TW, but obviously they don't take ebay bucks on TW. They are $12 on ebay...a$$holes. The other problem with that, is they will allow me to carry even more lures, which is the problem in the first place!

I need two smaller tackle bags...maybe the size capable of holding 3-4 3700 boxes each. That would actually allow me to bring more tackle if I really needed to, but would allow me to take just one or just keep one out on the deck of the boat (most of the time). Any recommendations? One of them also needs to be able of holding my BigMouth spinnerbait box.
Old 07-23-10, 11:54 AM   #2
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The first that comes to mind is the Plano softsiders.
like this one..That holds 4 3700's

http://www.dunhamssports.com/pwr/pro...-4-3700-s.html

I carry a similar one (pictured)...I cant remember,but I think mine is slightly larger boxes...I added the freebie bass master small tackle bag on top to carry all my plastics (and it matches perfectly) and discgolf back straps to wear it like a backpack.(for the banks)
Its been a great bag! I had to sew one tear that was my fault.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tackle bag.JPG
Views:	486
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	5617  

Last edited by WaffleJaw; 07-23-10 at 12:02 PM.
WaffleJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-10, 12:26 PM   #3
66KingFisher

I've got the smaller version of this Okeechobee Fats bag that I got from Walmart last year....Mine only holds 5 of the 3600 size boxes, but its really a great size for taking on our 16' BassTracker, since deck space is limited.......I keep all my plastics in ziplocks and those get carried in a seperate bag that also has space for my spinnerbait box and a couple of 3700 size boxes.

This was my first "soft sided" tackle box, and so far I've been extremely happy with it over the giant hard sided tackle boxes I used to carry......I think you'll like them too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Okeechobiefats.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	5618  
Old 07-23-10, 12:49 PM   #4
Jrob78

I use this backpack from BPS. The top section and the bottom section separate from each other. The bottom section holds 4 3600 boxes and the top holds 6, or any combination of boxes, bags..etc. I use divider sleeves from the BPS worm binders in the top to keep my plastics and the 3600 boxes in the bottom section. Both sections have straps and can be carried individually.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...43012_100-22-0
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-10, 12:53 PM   #5
MississippiBoy

I've got a bag I bought at Academy Sports...it holds 4 of the 3700 boxes, and a spinnerbait box similar to yours on top of them. I looked on Academy's website and couldn't find it, though. Let me see if I can dig it up.
Old 07-23-10, 01:53 PM   #6
Jim80

Nofear get a spinnerbait wallet, it will save you some room

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...43012_100-22-0

Jim
Old 07-23-10, 01:58 PM   #7
geezer1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

NFE...Smaller? You're going the wrong direction there, buddy.
geezer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-10, 06:15 PM   #8
keithdog

Take a look at the Flambeau AZ6 tackle bag. I really like mine. Lots of neat pockets and such. You can get a pretty good description from Cabelas on line.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-10, 07:15 PM   #9
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer1 View Post
Geez....I saig TWO smaller bags. They will probably hold more total.

My current bag is just too big to lug around, especially if I am going on a friend's boat or something. It holds ten 3700 boxes with a bunch of side pouches. It's also a lot easier to stow two small bags than one huge one.
Old 07-24-10, 09:52 AM   #10
rrw4258

My Gander bag is made by Flambeau, although it is far from small ....

it holds 8 3700's and 7 3600's.... I also have it loaded down with 9 Gallon size ziplocks full of plastics. It weighs in at a hair under 60 pounds....

But on a serious note, if I had to buy a smaller bag I would go with this one...

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st..._SearchResults

Ryan
Old 07-24-10, 10:12 AM   #11
tharper2202
BassFishin.Com Member

damn the extreme qualifer 360 is only 20 bucks now? thats a very good price for that bag. my field and stream backpack was 60 and it doesnt hold nearly as many boxes as the 360 but i still love it. 4 boxes in my backpack is enough for me. i have more boxes at home in a storage thing that i can switch into the bag depending on where im fishing that day. it looks and feels like it will last longer than the 360 as well.
tharper2202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-10, 10:23 AM   #12
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer1 View Post
Geezer beat me to it!
Old 07-24-10, 02:19 PM   #13
BassFeverJohn
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66KingFisher View Post
I've got the smaller version of this Okeechobee Fats bag that I got from Walmart last year....Mine only holds 5 of the 3600 size boxes, but its really a great size for taking on our 16' BassTracker, since deck space is limited.......I keep all my plastics in ziplocks and those get carried in a seperate bag that also has space for my spinnerbait box and a couple of 3700 size boxes.

This was my first "soft sided" tackle box, and so far I've been extremely happy with it over the giant hard sided tackle boxes I used to carry......I think you'll like them too.
I love my O-Fats bag. It holds 5 utility boxes, and has plenty of space for other stuff.

Last edited by BassFeverJohn; 07-24-10 at 04:49 PM.
BassFeverJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-10, 03:36 PM   #14
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharper2202 View Post
damn the extreme qualifer 360 is only 20 bucks now? thats a very good price for that bag. my field and stream backpack was 60 and it doesnt hold nearly as many boxes as the 360 but i still love it. 4 boxes in my backpack is enough for me. i have more boxes at home in a storage thing that i can switch into the bag depending on where im fishing that day. it looks and feels like it will last longer than the 360 as well.
I got mine at the beginning of the season this year. So far so good. I honestly doubt it will hold up too long without some sewing, but it's not the bag's fault that I seriously overload it. I think for $20 it is a steal, in fact I might get another one to keep as a standby.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.