Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-08, 05:07 PM   #1
BassinBrits
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Phantom Red Powerpro Braid ?

Just sorting out what lines I need to buy when I get there. ( 2 days now)

I see that Powerbraid is highly rated by most of you but what about the color? The manufacturers say " whether you’re fishing it in the green tinged waters of the Pacific or blue ocean waters of the Caribbean, you’ll see red, but the fish will see nothing.... And what they can’t see will catch them!"

So should I buy red or green ?
(that reminds me of your great comedy tv show 'red green' I used to watch)

A lot of you used to rate highly P-line fluorocarbon but now it seems more of you are rating Seaguar Invizx as being better. So I intend to get the Seaguar, am I right?

Should I get these lines at BPS in Orlando or should I go to a Wally world?

Old 12-27-08, 05:26 PM   #2
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I don't think you will have any problems with the seaguar invizx , as towards the braid I like the green better and if you think the fish can see it just tie a fluoro leader on .

Jim
Old 12-27-08, 05:41 PM   #3
woody

BassinBrits, save yourself from any unnecesary eye strain by using powerpros RED braid. If you do any finesse style fishing, imo the ability to see those subtle bites is next to impossible using green braid. Braid is already difficult to see due to its very thin diameter, then just try to imagine line watching a thin green strand against a greenish blue backdrop, its not that easy, so using a higher vis. will help in your bite detection.
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-08, 01:47 AM   #4
Bender

I like the Red Green show, my wife got me 2 seasons on DVD for Christmas!
Also I like the red PP better than the green, but sometimes it is hard to find around here. The BPS in Orlando is pretty good and should have about anything you are looking for.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-08, 10:44 AM   #5
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I use Sudix or Power Pro braid on almost all my rods, and I use a leader about 50% of the time. If you have more confidence in red, them get it. I prefer green over other braid colors because it's what I have confidence in.

As for fluoro, I've used about 4 different ones and Seaguar Invisx or Carbon Pro have been my favorite for mainline use. For leaders I use Stren 100% fluoro because I find it it stiffer, which with fluoro, means it's more abraision resistant.

BB
Old 12-28-08, 07:46 PM   #6
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

BassnBrits, go to BPS, do not stop at Wally world.

As far as the color of my Braid, it's all Moss Green. When I'm drop shotting, the line is so sensitive that I can detect the slightest movement with my finger on the line. And I always use a leader.
Old 12-29-08, 11:09 AM   #7
Lilmoosecountry

if your using braid do this. Go with the red. But you need to add a flouro leader. Don't use it on swimbaits. Braid floats & causes the swim baits to rise faster.
Old 12-29-08, 11:37 AM   #8
BassinBrits
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for all your helpful replies.

On arrival we're off to BPS to get red Propower braid and Seaguar InvizX fluoro.

We're looking forward to making contact with some of those bass; very soon.
Old 12-29-08, 08:23 PM   #9
Frogman51
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Powerpro red

Are they saying fish can't see red? If they can't then we've all been had by buying red hooks, red baits,and bleeding baits, etc. I would think that would be against a fish's nature not to be able to see red. I also don't understand tying monofiliment or flourcarbon to the end of your braided line so fish can't see the line, if you do that then you just lost the strength and the sensitivity your getting with the braided line, that's what you put the braided line on for, also that's just another knot to break. Just put the braid on in some kind of green and go catch some fish. REMEMBER "A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link".
Frogman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-08, 08:43 PM   #10
Joel

Frogman51, Red is the 1st color in the visible spectrum to become invisible underwater. As for red hooks, they were designed to hook us fisherman into replacing our otherwise good hooks.

You're wrong about braid loosing it's sensitivity because of a mono or flouro leader. In most cases the leader is 3 or 4 ft at best, and will transmit the slightest vibration from a fish taking your hook/lure. I primarily use a leader to prevent my braid from getting cut off as it's dragged over all sorts of sharp edges on the bottom. The only exception to this is my drop shot rig with is 18-24 inches from the braid to the hook, then 12-14 inches from the hook eye to the top of the weight.

I use a Albright knot to attach my leaders to my mainline braid, and it's never failed. Unfortunately, the weakest link in most cases is the fisherman. That's one of the main things that separates the vast majority of us weekend warriors from the pros.
Old 12-29-08, 08:44 PM   #11
Jim80

Frogman Braid is strong but can not stand up to abrasive surfaces the way that mono and fluorocarbon can and If you tie the knot properly you really should not have to worry about it breaking . There have been studies done that said that red line in not invisible to fish under water , but the whole red hook thing is lost on me , I own them , I use them occasionally but truthfully I prefer the black hooks most of the time .

Jim
Old 12-29-08, 09:54 PM   #12
Frogman51
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Red Line

Joel
I'm mainly talking about flipping,but I still don't understand the concept of buying 50 pound braid and then tying on 20 pound mono or fluro, it just stand to reason the 20 pound mono is going to make your line weaker and that 3 or 4 foot of mono has less senitivity than the 3 or 4 foot of braid your replacing it with, plus the extra knot. I'd rather have all braid. Now if your Carolina fishing with it that might be different. I Googled "Can fish see red" and every site I went in to said yes. "So who know's where the wild goose goes".
Old 12-29-08, 10:11 PM   #13
Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman51 View Post
Joel
I'm mainly talking about flipping,but I still don't understand the concept of buying 50 pound braid and then tying on 20 pound mono or fluro, it just stand to reason the 20 pound mono is going to make your line weaker and that 3 or 4 foot of mono has less senitivity than the 3 or 4 foot of braid your replacing it with, plus the extra knot. I'd rather have all braid. Now if your Carolina fishing with it that might be different. I Googled "Can fish see red" and every site I went in to said yes. "So who know's where the wild goose goes".
I don't flip, I pitch. Just can't get the darn hang of it. When I'm pitching into the really thick stuff and I mean thick, I don't use a leader because I'm not concerned with getting cut off from rocks or wood. So I'm getting the full benefit of the 50 lb braid that can slice through weeds like a hot knife through butter. I do use a leader with 50 lb braid when I pitching into laydowns or working a jig along the bottom of a weed line (rarely), or around rock walls or a rocky bottom. As for less sensitivity using a leader, it's just a non-issue with me.

As for fish seeing Red, they can red like we can. But the current data says that red is the 1st color to become invisible as you go deeper in the water column. I don't use red line, and rarely use red hooks. And yes, like just about everyone, had to buy some and try them. I very quickly found out that the only thing red hooks caught was me.
Old 12-30-08, 11:07 AM   #14
BassAddict

I don't think red becomes "invisible" as you get deeper in the water column. I understand that it turns grey the deeper goes.
Old 12-30-08, 11:14 AM   #15
Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassAddict View Post
I don't think red becomes "invisible" as you get deeper in the water column. I understand that it turns grey the deeper goes.
Could very well be. My point is that it's how they market it to us so we'll buy it. I use a leader with my finesse setups because of line viabilities issues with braid.

One other thing about using Red hooks. Ever notice how fast the red paint flakes off? Why even bother? How many of us ever gave any thought to the rest of the hardware like split rings & swivels?
Old 12-30-08, 11:17 AM   #16
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

They are not saying bass can't see red, the reason for red line is, the farther you go down in the water column, the less light water lets in (obviously). Of all the colors of the spectrum, red is the first to be filtered out as you go deeper in water. Most companies will tell you the red line in more effective the deeper you go.

BB
Old 01-01-09, 04:49 PM   #17
flfireman

Were you going in Orlando? By the way, I use red and green, haven't found a big difference between the 2. I also use 20-30# exclusively.
Old 01-01-09, 08:27 PM   #18
Frogman51
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
I don't flip, I pitch. Just can't get the darn hang of it. When I'm pitching into the really thick stuff and I mean thick, I don't use a leader because I'm not concerned with getting cut off from rocks or wood. So I'm getting the full benefit of the 50 lb braid that can slice through weeds like a hot knife through butter. I do use a leader with 50 lb braid when I pitching into laydowns or working a jig along the bottom of a weed line (rarely), or around rock walls or a rocky bottom. As for less sensitivity using a leader, it's just a non-issue with me.

As for fish seeing Red, they can red like we can. But the current data says that red is the 1st color to become invisible as you go deeper in the water column. I don't use red line, and rarely use red hooks. And yes, like just about everyone, had to buy some and try them. I very quickly found out that the only thing red hooks caught was me.
Joel please go to this web site and readabout braided line http://www.fishin.com/articles/MikeG...ishingline.htm
thanks
frogman51
Old 01-02-09, 08:23 AM   #19
lowrider

frogman...no mention of a leader there, either. hmmmm
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-09, 01:43 PM   #20
Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman51 View Post
Joel please go to this web site and readabout braided line http://www.fishin.com/articles/MikeG...ishingline.htm
thanks
frogman51
Frogman51, thanks for the link. Went there are read it. Good info. I only use a 2-4 ft leader when on working the bottom as braid gets cut very easily from abrassion. That length of leader doesn't add much stretch to really be concerned about. The Albright knot isn't a issue and 12-17lb test line is pretty tough for those applications I use it in.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.