Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-10, 06:44 AM   #1
Ground Pounder
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Having the darndest time with heavier flouro on these low-profile baitcasting reels.

After pouring over information (particularly Kevin's Fishing Line Guide), I decided to spool up one of my new Exceler's with 17lb. flouro for my all-purpose flipping / c-rig / soft stickbait. Unfortunately, the results have been disasterous.

First problem may have been my line choice. I went with Trilene 100% flouro, as it was on-sale at the local bait & tackle ($11 for 200 yds). Second issue was not treating it with any kind of line conditioner. And third, admittedly, is likely my inexperience with a baitcaster. In any case, I've spent more time fishing backlashes out of this thing than I have fishing for bass in the last few trips out.

Now, the other two baitcasters have been a breeze to work with. The second Exceler, spooled with Stren original 14lb. mono, as well as the BlackMax that's spooled with 50lb. Spiderwire stealth braid, have been very forgiving, even with my terrible casting mechanics. But try as I may, I just can't seem to manage this heavier flouro.

So I'm going to replace this line... but with what? Dedicating this reel to c-rigs, soft stickbaits, and flipping / jigging is my priority. So should I go with another flouro brand, something more forgiving, in the same test? Or maybe go down a few notches to something in the 12-14 range? Maybe a smaller dia braid with a flouro leader?

Thanks in advance,

GP
Ground Pounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-10, 06:53 AM   #2
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

From what I have read on the net about different brand flouros, it woud seem that the line is not the issue. Trilene 100% flouro is one of the highest rated ones out there, especially in its price class. I will, however, agree with you that using a line conditioner may help a lot.

if you do go to another brand it seems that everyone agrees that Seaguar is the bees knees in flouro... either abrasx or invisx... and a lot of people like the bass pro XPS brand flouro...

I however dont use Flouro at all... basically i dont fish clear enough water to worry about invisble line, and i use 15lb mono, so stretch is minimal... so all my input is entirely based on research...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-10, 08:10 AM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Trilene is one of the highest rate out there because it's the one that sells the most because it is marketed the most. I've felt this line (with KVD Line and Lure about 1 a week), and compared to my fluoro (KVD L&L maybe once a month) it felt like steel wire, lol.

For Jigs and flipping/pitching any plastics and C-rigs, I use 30-50lb braid. If the water is very clear, and in sparse cover, I'll use a 15lb fluoro leader and I always use a 12-15lb fluoro leader for c-rigs. For soft plastics stickbaits, 12lb fluorocarbon is my favorite.

I know of guys that flip and pitch with 25lb fluoro (but I've done it with 12, lol).

Stiff fluorocarbon (like Trilene 100%) is much more prone to backlashes. When you backlash with fluoro, you can to be careful because it can break where it's been pinched and you won't know it until your lure goes flying on the next cast.

All that said, I'd give 15lb Seaguar AbrasX a try for those techniques. I've found around here, I never wish I was flipping 25lb fluoro, lol. If you want, spray it ever few fishing trips with KVD's Line and Lure conditioner.

BB
Old 07-28-10, 04:40 PM   #4
bassinbob

A lot of guys don't like it but I've found Yo-Zuri is a compromise. Gotta train your thumb!
Old 07-28-10, 06:13 PM   #5
Bassboss

I agree with biggins, trilene is pretty stiff. Stiffer then BPS xps IMO. I'd love to get a spool of abrazX after I get 2 or three more decent rods. Then I can make a more technique spastic arsenal. Definitely get some line conditioner. Ardent line butter is also really good... American Made too!

15lb is the best all around line there is. Happy median with breaking strength. And low enough memory not to sacrifice casting distance, but heavy enough so stretch remains minimal.
Old 07-28-10, 06:15 PM   #6
nmanley

Send a message via Yahoo to nmanley

I haven't tried any fluro over 15lb (worming and C-rig leader) and don't plan too, but I read that most pros take the time to tie the heavy fluro rig to a boat cleat and walk out a cast length and stretch the line some.
They say this help a LOT with backlashes. Also conditioner treating as mentioned already.
Old 07-28-10, 07:08 PM   #7
keithdog

Hey GP, here's my story. I started using flourocarbon line 3 years ago for pitchin t rigged beaveers, jigs and so on. I started with the BPS brand and hated it. Switched to Trilene 100% and thought "I like this line". Only because it seemed much better than the BPS brand. Now after a couple years of using it, I'm ready to try something else because it is rather stiff. I'm going to switch to P Line Flouroclear. It's a copoly line coated with flourocarbon. I have good advice that it is a great line, very strong, and very limp with excellent abration resistance. I use 20 pound test. I was thinking about trying the Seaguar AbrasionX but at 27.00$ for a 300 yard spool, I'll try the P Line Flouroclear first!
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-10, 09:32 PM   #8
Rebbasser

GP, Keith and I had this discussion yesterday. I absolutely love P-Line Floroclear. Strong, tough, and handles like a dream. It is mono line with a fluorocarbon coating. After trying MANY different lines-mono, fluoro, copolymer, you name it I was introduced to Floroclear by Lancer6, another member who I have spent a lot of time on the water with and loved it. I use it for all my mono/fluoro applications. Plus, it isn't all that expensive so if you don't like it you aren't out a lot of $.

You mentioned line conditioner-I cannot recommend KVD's Line and Lure highly enough. I don't spool up ANYTHING-mono, fluoro, braid, you name it-without it.
Old 07-28-10, 10:17 PM   #9
bassinbob

Reb does the P-Line float or sink?
Old 07-28-10, 10:30 PM   #10
Rebbasser

Slow sink, Bob-the mono part floats, the fluoro coating sinks.
Old 07-29-10, 05:42 AM   #11
Ground Pounder

Thanks guys, I may opt for the P-line Flouroclear. I also think I'm going to move down in test-wt a bit, maybe to the 12lb range, as the added casting distance would only help a shore-basser like myself.
Ground Pounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-10, 08:43 AM   #12
Jrob78

I haven't tried Fluoroclear yet but I have been using P-line CX for about a year now. It is a very manageable line and really strong. I use 12 lb on most baitcasting applications and have been really satisfied. I've heard good things about Fluoroclear too, Reb's testimonial might have just been enough to get me to try a spool.

IMO, fluoro isn't the best line for beginners to start out with. All the fluoros I've tried, with the exception of InvizX, have really bad memory problems. The line will break if kinked at all, which can easily happen on the simplest of backlashes. If you aren't very careful tying your knots, they will become weak spots and break too.

Copoly lines, and most all lines break at a lot higher strength than listed on the box. If you aren't used to fishing with a baitcaster do yourself a favor and go get some mono or a good copoly in 10 lb test. 10 lb will be much easier to manage, cast and should be plenty strong for anything you will catch. Use KVD Line and Lure on it and learn your reels and your lake without the hassle of fluoro. When you get more comfortable with things you can add to your repertoire. A spool of Sufix Elite in 10 lb will cost less, have way less memory and headaches and will catch just as many fish. You can't fish if you are picking backlashes. Have fun and don't worry so much about the minute details.
Old 08-14-10, 12:14 PM   #13
Garry2rs

One thing here...If you make sure that the line winds off the spool directly onto the reel...That is over the top of the bulk spool onto the top of the reel spool you will have fewer problems regardless of brand.
A second thing, don't get too caught up in brand names, many of these line may be coming out of the same factories.
I'm sure that all the braid sold by the Pure Fishing group, Berkley, Spiderwire and Stren come from the same source.
Garry2rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-10, 01:37 PM   #14
Bassboss

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't CX just a lower-stretch version of floroclear? I'm pretty sure it fluoro coated, and it says it has 30% less stretch as well...
Old 08-14-10, 11:17 PM   #15
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry2rs View Post
One thing here...If you make sure that the line winds off the spool directly onto the reel...That is over the top of the bulk spool onto the top of the reel spool you will have fewer problems regardless of brand.
A second thing, don't get too caught up in brand names, many of these line may be coming out of the same factories.
I'm sure that all the braid sold by the Pure Fishing group, Berkley, Spiderwire and Stren come from the same source.

Just because they are coming out of the same factory doesn't mean they're the same line. There are only a few companies in the world that manufacture fluorocarbon line. And I believe most, if not all, of them are in Japan or Germany. But they make the line according to certain brands' formulas. So while they're made in the same place, they are made with different formulas.

Using your braided line example, take a sample of Stren braided line and put it next to Spiderwire Ultracast. Huge difference, although both are probably made in the same factory.

Seaguar is the one except to this. All Seaguar lines are made in their own factory, with their own formulas. And Seaguar does not make line for anyone else.

BB
Old 08-15-10, 09:13 AM   #16
Cavs1123

Just put some kvd line and lure on it next time you spool up and you should be good to go!
Old 08-15-10, 09:23 AM   #17
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I have tried several different fluoro brands. My favorite is P line Halo.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-10, 09:58 AM   #18
lilmule

Globe union plant at batavia ill,makes battteries for golf,sunoco ,sears including die hard,and regardless one number of sunoco is equal to say a sears best seller,just not called the same.
So figgure while all lines arnt equal when made the same place its equivilent of each one mfg there is under another name and is in fact may be the very same line,others may have a few minor changes made according to specs supplied,but is still basically the same line.
So name brand isnt as important as actual way it uses and no two lines are great for usage in different places,such as heavy grass,or crankbaiting both require a different line and rod along with a reel to match.
In effect there is no great superline for all things,just as there is no single bait rod or reel that is perfect,as perfect for one thing and its totally off for another.
Largely we get in trouble when applying something where it shouldnt be used.
While fluorocarbon is a good line and made in less places it alone is not the answer.
What it boils down to is what your using x brand of line for,what its made of and not what or who actually made it or had their name on it,and if you yourself not a bass pro of some name like it.When you find one that spools up good acts right for you ,thats what matters.

Last edited by lilmule; 08-15-10 at 10:13 AM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-10, 10:13 AM   #19
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
What it boils down to is what your using x brand of line for,what its made of and not what or who actually made it or had their name on it,and if you yourself not a bass pro of some name like it.
I completely agree with having a pro's name on it. I'd never buy something for that reason alone.

But if I've had good experiences with a certain brand, I'd buy another of their product on that reason alone. It doesn't mean I'd like, I'd just be more likely to try something that I (or even a lot of other people) have had good experiences with.

So brand names play a huge roll in my buying of fishing tackle, whether it we rods, reel, lures, or line. I know what brands I like, so I'm not as hesitant about trying something new from those same people.

And again, just because two, or more, lines come out of the same factory, doesn't mean they are the same. Go compare all the braided or fluorocarbon lines from every brand under the Pure Fishing name. I'll bet they're all different. Stren braid was rough as nails to me, while spiderwire and fireline are much smoother. However, most say fireline is limper than spiderwire. And let's not forget, there are numerous braids under the Spiderwire name alone, and they're all different.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.