Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-12, 06:57 PM   #1
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Loosen drag after every trip?

I recently read somewhere that you should completely loosen the drag on all your reels after every trip and at the end of the season. I've never done this and can't recall any issues with them. I do take them to a local guy every spring for a pre=season tune-up, I don't have a clue what he actually does to them. When I pick them up he says X dollars and I'm done. Do any of yall loosen your drags after every trip? Why?
Old 01-18-12, 06:59 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i do this now. there is a thread about this somewhere on here. pro reel can explain it better as to why. i listen to the pros, if they say it'll make oyur reel last longer, i do it. lol!
Old 01-18-12, 07:10 PM   #3
Jrob78

I have gotten in the habit of doing this. I think the idea is to keep the drag washers from permanently compressing and becoming less effective. This is probably more an issue on reels that have felt or similar washers. All my reels have a wet drag system with carbon washers, so it probably isn't necessary for me to do. I figure that it can't hurt anything though, so why not, as long as you remember to tighten them back up that is.
Old 01-18-12, 08:58 PM   #4
bassinbob

I never used to do it. I keep my rods on racks in the dining room and every now and then I check them to make sure I back the drag off. Funny when you forget to tighten them up and hook a big bass.
Old 01-18-12, 09:12 PM   #5
Culpritworm7.5
BassFishin.Com Member

Yeah I do it, too. It's not good to have the drag washers compressed for so long, but if you have trouble with your bait staying on the hook keeper, tighten your drag so you have just enough pressure. Like said above: be sure to tighten your drag BEFORE you use the rod.
Culpritworm7.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-12, 12:17 AM   #6
keithdog

I do durring the winter months when they are in storage but not nearly as often durring the fishing season. I should, and sometimes I do, but usually I forget to at the end of a days fishing. But when I do, I almost always forget to retighten them when I go back out on the water.
Old 01-19-12, 12:33 AM   #7
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I don't do it after every trip, it just depends on how soon I will be fishing again. If it's gonna be at least a few weeks, then yes, absolutly. There are 2 curved steel washers under you drag star. They are the drag springs that magnify the pressure of the drag star. If they are left in a compressed state for very long, they will lose there shape over time. They can be re-arched, but will flatten easier the next time. Then there is also the issue of the actual drag washers. It's not good to leave any of them smashed tight for very long, but some are worse than others. I see in about half the reels i get that the washers are stuck to the gear or the steel plates. Some are shredded from being torn loose, others are flat as a sheet of paper.
If you have trouble remembering to re tighten the drags, simply put a reminder on the reels when you loosen them. Get some rubber bands or some bread sack ties and wrap them around the handle and drag star each time you loosen the drags to put them up for awhile. When you grab them out of the locker you will have to pull the band off the handle so you should remember what it was there for.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-12, 12:46 AM   #8
ETXbassassassin
BassFishin.Com Member

I just heard about this a couple weeks or so ago. Now I ALWAYS loosen the drag pressure after each day out. Only once have I not re-tightened the drag and it won't happen again. I try and fish at least twice a week; weather permitting.
Old 01-19-12, 09:46 AM   #9
DVT Mike
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Every trip is overkill, but washers and springs can be damaged is left compressed for extended periods.
Old 01-19-12, 01:14 PM   #10
Bender

I do only at the end of the season or if it will be months between times of using a reel. To me losing a fish because I forgot to tighten down the drag isn't worth the trouble. If the drag gets messed up it's not too expensive or hard to replace the Belleville washers and drag discs, they probably would need replacing anyway.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-12, 01:20 PM   #11
lilmule

Hmmm I never loosen mine and have yet to have drag go out,my lews is over 20 years old.
Generally when I loose a reel its the clutch pawl and it wont engage or do so every time,and have generally got my 30 bucks back out of it.Ive had one that would spin a bit with braid with mono it was ok but well used prior and came to me that way,now defunct but years of use out of it.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-12, 01:59 PM   #12
Bassboss

I've completly shot the drag on my BPS johnny morris gold reel. It's either super tight, or super loose. One click of the drag star is all it takes. It couldn't hurt, and I try to do it every time now. Just remember to tighten it back up next time ya go fishing... it can get to be a pain when you're setting the hook and drag goes zinggin. lol
Old 01-20-12, 12:02 AM   #13
skeeter1804

Never have and have never had an issue with the drag not working. I know me and would never remember to reset it until I set the hook so I'll take my chances.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-12, 01:23 PM   #14
DVT Mike

This is one those things that will a make a difference over the life of a reel, but not necessarily an imminent failure waiting to happen.
Old 01-23-12, 04:17 PM   #15
bassfisher

I loosen my drag daily after I fish. It also helps in your rods tips not bending from accidental reeling your reel handle while in storage. Like said above, just DO NOT FORGET to retighten them back up. It never fails I (try) to hook a fish, and all that happens is the drag sings out. LOL
bassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-12, 06:17 PM   #16
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I would like to add that this really only applies to the folks that smash the drags tight and use heavy braid. If you are using normal strength lines such as 10 to 12 lb and have the drag set to let off at half that then there shouldn't be any problem with leaving it set there all season. If you have it smashed as tight as you can get it, then you should back it off a few turns and give the washers and springs a chance to rest, so to speak. You don't need to completly loosen the drag and as a matter of fact you don't want to do that because loosening it too far can let the ratchet gear or AR sleeve slip out of place. All you need to do is loosen it enough that you can easily pull line off with some resistence. That will also help to keep the drags from sticking if you pull a little line while the drag is set low.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-12, 08:56 AM   #17
joedog

Thanks pro reel, I really like the rubber band deal.
I loosen up my frogging reels, not everytime but often.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.