Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-12, 02:35 PM   #1
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Things are starting to look up a little

The May 22nd tornado destroyed out Academy Sports and Outdoors, and took the lives of a lot of customers who were in the store. I felt kinda guilty being sort of bummed out about not having Academy just a few minutes away, considering there were much more important things going on in the aftermath of the storm. But anyways today is the grand re-opening of our Academy and I couldn't be happier about it. We are heading over tonight after Britney gets off work to check out the sales.
Old 01-27-12, 03:33 PM   #2
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

That's awesome man! It's a great symbol of recovery and a great sporting goods store. Check out the H20's, they have some new colors and patterns and our stores have started carrying better rods. They also have some nice reels on clearance, you might not have those though, being a new store.
Old 01-27-12, 04:10 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
That's awesome man! It's a great symbol of recovery and a great sporting goods store. Check out the H20's, they have some new colors and patterns and our stores have started carrying better rods. They also have some nice reels on clearance, you might not have those though, being a new store.
Yeah it's a good store. I was getting frustrated with it right before the tornado because it was getting to be like a Wal-Mart, what they had last week they might not have this week or if they did they wouldn't have the colors I wanted. I am hoping that it's a little better this time around though. I was just starting to gain confidence in some of the H2O crankbaits before the tornado and just like that they were impossible to come by. I had plenty of the ones I was liking to get through the season but I am glad that I will be able to repload on them now.
Old 01-27-12, 06:55 PM   #4
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

were getting one soon, i am so excited.
wallywallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-12, 12:14 AM   #5
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Did you all just hear the screech of the bait monkey?
Old 01-28-12, 02:52 AM   #6
carolina-rig-01

That was absolutley the most pathetic trip to any sporting goods store I have ever had. I am looking for a good shaky head rod and that was just a piss poor selection, no other way to put it. They had a slightly better selection of casting rods but for spinning rods these were my choices:

Carrot Stix - either a 7' MH or a 6'7 medium (wasn't interested in a Carrot Stick anyways)

Skeet Reese - (didn't look at the choice of rod length or models as I wasn't interested anyways)

Abu-Garcia Veritas - 7' MH or 6'6" medium

Abu-Garcia Vendetta - Same choices as the Veritas

From there on it was nothing but Ugly Sticks, H2O rods, or cheaper junk.

I am not being a tackle snob or anything but for crying out loud. Before the tornado they had a good selection of Falcon, Castaway, and other rods. Now they have a fair selection of casting rods but absolutley nothing as far as spinning rods go. I guess I was looking foward to Academys return for nothing because I will still be going to Springfield to Bass Pro Shops or ordering from Tackle Warehouse it seems. As far as baits go if they had an H20 version of something that was pretty much you only choice as over half of the isle was their house brand and then you had a very limited selection of other products to choose from. I have never been so upset with a so called sporting goods store in my life.
Old 01-28-12, 11:44 AM   #7
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
That was absolutley the most pathetic trip to any sporting goods store I have ever had. I am looking for a good shaky head rod and that was just a piss poor selection, no other way to put it. They had a slightly better selection of casting rods but for spinning rods these were my choices:

Carrot Stix - either a 7' MH or a 6'7 medium (wasn't interested in a Carrot Stick anyways)

Skeet Reese - (didn't look at the choice of rod length or models as I wasn't interested anyways)

Abu-Garcia Veritas - 7' MH or 6'6" medium

Abu-Garcia Vendetta - Same choices as the Veritas

From there on it was nothing but Ugly Sticks, H2O rods, or cheaper junk.

I am not being a tackle snob or anything but for crying out loud. Before the tornado they had a good selection of Falcon, Castaway, and other rods. Now they have a fair selection of casting rods but absolutley nothing as far as spinning rods go. I guess I was looking foward to Academys return for nothing because I will still be going to Springfield to Bass Pro Shops or ordering from Tackle Warehouse it seems. As far as baits go if they had an H20 version of something that was pretty much you only choice as over half of the isle was their house brand and then you had a very limited selection of other products to choose from. I have never been so upset with a so called sporting goods store in my life.
I'm sorry to read about your long awaitted trip being so disappointing. Maybe you should send a detailed letter to the store manager and the corporation expressing your thoughts of how they could improve their selection. Never know, they just might listen or even contact you. I'm curious though, did they have any kind of memorial service before the store opening it's doors in memory of those who's lives were lost when the store was destroyed by the tornado?
Old 01-28-12, 12:33 PM   #8
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I'm sorry to read about your long awaitted trip being so disappointing. Maybe you should send a detailed letter to the store manager and the corporation expressing your thoughts of how they could improve their selection. Never know, they just might listen or even contact you. I'm curious though, did they have any kind of memorial service before the store opening it's doors in memory of those who's lives were lost when the store was destroyed by the tornado?
Keith, I thought about sending them a letter and I still might but I want to wait for the dust to settle from the Grand Re-Opening and give them a chance to stock a better selection on their own.

I honestly can't say whether or not they had a memorial service, they were already opened when we got there. I know that The Home Depot is across the street from Academy and they were destroyed as well, and several lives were lost in their store too. The now have a memorial fountain infront of their store.
Old 01-29-12, 08:30 PM   #9
Bassboss

GOOD TO HEAR!! I know I'd be bummed if we had an academy that close and then gone. Let us know how the monkey gets ya!

Edit:

Looks like I was little late. To bad there selection still sucks, I'd definitely send em a nice letter!
Old 01-29-12, 10:55 PM   #10
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Sorry to hear about the let down, Kory ;(

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.