Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-06, 05:12 PM   #1
TheBossT127
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Silver Lake, NY 8/12/06

I gotta stop having these frustrating days on the lake. I don't know if I can take the emotional rollercoaster associated with tournament fishing!!
This tourney probably presented the most enjoyable weather of any tournament I fished in '06. Beautiful day and decent fishing.
This was my first ever visit to Silver Lake, located in Livingston County, NY just off route 390 in western NY, just west of Letchworth State Park. The morning started out kind of slow as I was doing a lot of searching. Thick weeds and 10ft.+ water produced zilch. Finally around 9am I made my way to the north end of this small lake where I found some weed pockets and a channel line. There is an inlet and a separate outlet up here that looked quite good, but produced nothing for me. I worked my way over to the eastern side in the shade where I caught a small keeper on a Maniac Salt Stick. I then came upon a little cutout bank, and this is where the story begins...there were a couple of laydowns in the shade next to a bank covered with red moss. I flipped the purple Salt Stick up in there only to hang it in the bushes!! It was here where I impressed myself. I set that rod down and grabbed another rigged with a Texas-rigged Berkley cherryseed tube. I dropped the tube in where I WANTED to put the salt stick, and it no sooner started to sink and off it went! I set the hook and landed the 3.70lb. beauty!! Obviously not the biggest bass in the world, but a great tournament fish and the fact that I did the smart thing and saved the area and was able to pull a fish out of there was particularly satisfying for me. It was the only fish of the day caught on that tube. The rest of the fish I caught that day were caught on either that purple Salt Stick or a Bass Pro yellow and black stick-o. Both lures were rigged weightless and with the exception of one keeper caught in a weed pocket, all were caught under boat docks and around red moss banks. I put four keepers in the boat that day, losing my fifth keeper three times in the last two hours of the tournament. I finished 5th that day, less than a pound and a half from the top spot. That elusive fifth fish would have given me my first tournament win I am confident of that. There's always next year!!
Old 11-13-06, 07:54 PM   #2
flbassman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Welcome to the site! Good luck with the tourneys.
Old 11-13-06, 08:22 PM   #3
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

welcome! you will get it next time!
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-06, 12:08 AM   #4
skeeter944

welcome to the forums!
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.