Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-09, 03:19 PM   #1
weezymagic
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to weezymagic
Default bass stocking

ok, how do i figure out if a lakes is being stocked with bass? i know they stock trout in the winter...

what are my options for stocking a lake with bass (different lake)? It's my families farm in farmington or ironton. there are catfish in it i know but no bass and id love to put some bass in it.
weezymagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-09, 03:43 PM   #2
jcw1503
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

catch them else and transport them, thats what we did and it took a few years for it to grow good but catch as many bream or other bait you want to use and put them in the lake and then stock up with bass....We put a total of 100 or so during the last few years but its great now!!!
Old 02-09-09, 03:57 PM   #3
Raul
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Catching and transporting may not be a LEGAL option so you better check with the regulations.

If you want to stock bass you better start first with stocking the bass forage like bluegills, then wait for about a year for the bluegills to grow and begin multipying and then you stock the bass.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-09, 04:10 PM   #4
jcw1503

Yeah, he is right, i know where i am from it is not illegal if you only take the limit and no more...but the bluegill information is right...We done the same thing as the bass we went out and caught the limit which is 25 a piece here and we did that for a few months once a week and we waited a year before we started with the bass...
Old 02-09-09, 05:17 PM   #5
aikenyounggun

yeah you can do the transport idea which workd well... or you can but them if you just have a couple thousand dollars burning a hole in your pocket................................. also to you other guys: it aint illegal if you dont get caught (i mean when is the last time you got pulled over going on your way home and they check your livewell) just say: I like em really fresh.
aikenyounggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-09, 06:42 PM   #6
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Its tough to have both in the same pond if under a couple of acres. And I am not sure what size you are talking about. But I know from fishing farm ponds all my life. Don't get me wrong you will have the big cats left, but if the bass are competing with the catfish for food, once they have knocked the bluegill out, they will eat the catfish fingerlings. I thought my Grandpa was going to beat me one time. I put a 6lb bass in his new pond with out telling him. I honestly didn't know better then. But that fish went through everything in that pond. By the next summer, the water got low and there were probably 5 or 6 catfish and I managed to catch the bass at a little over 4 lbs. But the damage was done. Like Raul & jcw said though, you have got to start with the forage a year or so ahead unless you know everything is established.
Old 02-09-09, 08:03 PM   #7
rangerryan

go to a local bait shop. they can order as many fingerlings as you want. it isnt as expensive as you would think or you can find out where your state fisheries are and talk to them.
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-09, 10:52 PM   #8
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

raul is right about how to do it. BUT FIRST..... you need ot get with your local perservation office. THEY will help you stock it RIGHT. they can give you all the information you will need on stocking your pond. and if i am not wrong, they do it FOR FREE! when i lived in south bama, had 10 acres, wanted to build a pond. called the state folks, and they sent me a packet FULL of info. said they would help me in any way they coulD......free!!! SO CALL THEM FIRST PAL. YOU MIGHT EVEN GET SOME free FINGERLINGS OUT OF IT!!!
Old 02-09-09, 11:52 PM   #9
weezymagic

how do i find the office that deals with this? i can find it if i get the official name or something.

also, how do i find out when/if a lake is being stocked with bass. i know that they stock trout so id assume they might with bass
weezymagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-09, 11:15 AM   #10
MississippiBoy

Weezy, just google "Game and Fish Missouri" or "Fisheries department missouri" or something like that. Should come up with something.
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-09, 01:08 PM   #11
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikenyounggun View Post
yeah you can do the transport idea which workd well... or you can but them if you just have a couple thousand dollars burning a hole in your pocket................................. also to you other guys: it aint illegal if you dont get caught (i mean when is the last time you got pulled over going on your way home and they check your livewell) just say: I like em really fresh.
If itīs illegal then itīs illegal no matter how you look at it, itīs a matter of principles, laws and regulations are there for you to obey them and itīs not a popularity contest, you canīt choose which laws and regulations you want to obey and which ones you donīt.
Old 02-10-09, 01:46 PM   #12
weezymagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
you canīt choose which laws and regulations you want to obey and which ones you donīt.
WAIT I thought i was in america

We have the freedom of choice. we can chose to do ANYTHING. we CAN kill a man if we want. doesnt mean we SHOULD or that we wont get in trouble but it means if we are determined, we can. I will take this to the extreme...

(not trying to offend anyone and please, IF YOU ARE UNDER THE AGE OF 18, PLEASE DO NOT READ BELOW THIS IN CASE YOUR PARENTS DONT WANT YOU TOO.
-----------------------------DISCLAIMER-----------------------------)

You are a father. You have a daughter. she is raped and murdered. you find out that the guy who did this is going to get off the hook because of some technicality. would you not want to kill this man or atleast hurt him. im sure some of you would.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
i cant find the link but there was a psycological study going on about 5 years ago and how drastic your morals can change and so on. anyways, out of like 1000 surveyers (? people surveyed), 850 people had chosen that they would in fact attempt to kill the man.
Old 02-10-09, 02:22 PM   #13
Raul

You do have freedom of choice, you can choose to obey the law or not.
Old 02-10-09, 04:19 PM   #14
weezymagic

i choose not most of the time
Old 02-10-09, 04:35 PM   #15
jcw1503

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezymagic View Post
WAIT I thought i was in america

We have the freedom of choice. we can chose to do ANYTHING. we CAN kill a man if we want. doesnt mean we SHOULD or that we wont get in trouble but it means if we are determined, we can. I will take this to the extreme...

(not trying to offend anyone and please, IF YOU ARE UNDER THE AGE OF 18, PLEASE DO NOT READ BELOW THIS IN CASE YOUR PARENTS DONT WANT YOU TOO.
-----------------------------DISCLAIMER-----------------------------)

You are a father. You have a daughter. she is raped and murdered. you find out that the guy who did this is going to get off the hook because of some technicality. would you not want to kill this man or atleast hurt him. im sure some of you would.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
i cant find the link but there was a psycological study going on about 5 years ago and how drastic your morals can change and so on. anyways, out of like 1000 surveyers (? people surveyed), 850 people had chosen that they would in fact attempt to kill the man.

I have seen a similar study but it was not with murdering and rape....but it based its theory on hoe you change your mind for different situations...

some examples:

If you see a 11 year old kid speeding down the road, running over mailboxes, hitting fences, and hitting other cars..what do you think of it, most people would get mad and say he is a trouble maker of a boy and needs to be punished along with the parents......

but what if they said, the boy and the mother was driving down the road and the car was shot at and the mother was hit and bleeding, there was no cell phone and the little boy was trying to get to the hospital...

different questions on different theories some envolving strangers and others envolving family and it is amazing how your mind can change its mind!!!!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.