Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-06, 06:15 PM   #1
CMorg
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Ranger Bass Boat

I have a question , I am thinking about buying a 98 Ranger Bass Boat , it is 18' fiberglass ( of course ) anyway , it has a 160hp ? Mariner Motor on it , and that is way to big for these area lakes , I am just wondering if you guys think I could sell that motor and install a 10hp motor that way I can fish all area lakes legally.. will a 10Hp motor push the boat ? Thanks.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-06, 06:45 PM   #2
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

He!! no, keep the 160HP, and add a kicker(this is a second moter mounted on the back specifically for this scenario you are describing) 9.9hp to the back. You will want that power in the future, and the 9.9HP is legal on just about every lake except the electric only lakes.

Lizards
Old 12-30-06, 07:44 PM   #3
bassintxlady
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bassintxlady

i would agree on keeping the original even if it's not such a good one...the horse power will come in handy at times....we have a 115 on our ranger....and we fish on no wake lakes using the trolling motor....but when we hit fayetteville then we definately kick the pig big time....
Old 12-30-06, 08:29 PM   #4
CMorg

Ok thanks for the info. Lizards how exactly does the kicker motor mount ? Does it have a special plate or something ? I dont really understand that scenario very well...
Old 12-30-06, 08:40 PM   #5
Christopherkeene9

http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=500273
Check the picture at the bottom out!

Another plus for having a kicker
http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=481705
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-06, 08:41 PM   #6
Christopherkeene9

Info on the mounting,
http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=445736

Whole bunch of Kicker topics,
http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerosearch
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-06, 09:01 PM   #7
lizardsrule

Chris got you the pics. It's a safety net, and a saver all in one. Let's you have the best of all the worlds, electric only with your trolling, small hp lakes with the kicker, and the power/speed of the horses when you can and do need them. It does add weight, but a 9.9hp isn't gonna slow you down that much, plus it's a lot cheaper when just motering short distances or speed limit areas. Good fishing to ya, and how's the freezing hoosier weather LOL. I don't miss it at all, cept my buddies of course.

Lizards
Old 12-30-06, 09:40 PM   #8
weaverml34
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule View Post
Chris got you the pics. It's a safety net, and a saver all in one. Let's you have the best of all the worlds, electric only with your trolling, small hp lakes with the kicker, and the power/speed of the horses when you can and do need them. It does add weight, but a 9.9hp isn't gonna slow you down that much, plus it's a lot cheaper when just motering short distances or speed limit areas. Good fishing to ya, and how's the freezing hoosier weather LOL. I don't miss it at all, cept my buddies of course.

Lizards
Liz- I was in Tackle Service Center in Mooresville yesterday and the guy told me that it's been so warm here that the bass have moved back shallow. Other than 1 week around Thanksgiving it's been in the mid 40's and as high as sixty this winter. Still not the weather you've got down in Florida but it's not near as bad as it could be here.
weaverml34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-06, 10:15 PM   #9
CMorg

Lizards the weather has been very nice here , it was in the mid 50's here yesterday and today. However , I have not been fishing for the past month. My wife and I are going to have a baby within the next 12 days , 11 tomorrow... been putting together cribs , bassinetts and swings , car seats , need I go on ?? Also looking for new vehicles since 3 weeks ago someone totaled my Durango... busy , busy.
Old 12-31-06, 08:54 AM   #10
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMorg View Post
I have a question , I am thinking about buying a 98 Ranger Bass Boat , it is 18' fiberglass ( of course ) anyway , it has a 160hp ? Mariner Motor on it , and that is way to big for these area lakes , I am just wondering if you guys think I could sell that motor and install a 10hp motor that way I can fish all area lakes legally.. will a 10Hp motor push the boat ? Thanks.
Dont know of a 160 hp mariner ever made would it possibly be a 150?? Anyways if you take whatever it is off of the boat you would be GREATLY disappointed and not have theoption of fishing bigger lakes SAFELY, and that is one MAJOR concern. As stated all you would have to do is put a kicker on it and you would be good to go. As stated there are kicker mountings available to do just what you need to do. Look at the majority of your walleye boats. Big main engine and 10-15hp kickers.
Old 12-31-06, 10:18 AM   #11
CMorg

Yes , it could have been a 150HP. Thats why I had the ? by it.. I will probably do the kicker motor , I will just have our local boat shop do all the work.. If I get the boat
Old 12-31-06, 10:20 AM   #12
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Yes , it could have been a 150HP. Thats why I had the ? by it.. I will probably do the kicker motor , I will just have our local boat shop do all the work.. If I get the boat
What kinda sticker price they got on it???? What model???? Inquiring minds want to know??????? Also I can prolly find you the right kicker plate fer ya.
Old 12-31-06, 12:09 PM   #13
CMorg

I will have to get the model for the boat..Its my dads boat , he is going to sell it in the spring. Its a 98 Ranger 150 Mariner , Motorguide Trolling motor with foot control , built in battery charger , a sonar depth meter on the dash , 2 fishfinders ( one up front , one on the dash board ) 2 aeriated live wells ( one front , one back ) two pedistal seats , pioneer cd player with remote control ( wont be used ) matching trailer with older mag wheels.. Hes asking 4000.00 for it. It has an aftermarket prop. stainless steel on the 150Hp.
Old 12-31-06, 08:58 PM   #14
lizardsrule

Quote:
I will have to get the model for the boat..Its my dads boat , he is going to sell it in the spring. Its a 98 Ranger 150 Mariner , Motorguide Trolling motor with foot control , built in battery charger , a sonar depth meter on the dash , 2 fishfinders ( one up front , one on the dash board ) 2 aeriated live wells ( one front , one back ) two pedistal seats , pioneer cd player with remote control ( wont be used ) matching trailer with older mag wheels.. Hes asking 4000.00 for it. It has an aftermarket prop. stainless steel on the 150Hp.

I'm not a expert, but that sounds like a heck of a deal if it running well. Cosmetic stuff can be corrected.

Congrats on the rugrat to be, hope mom and baby do well Hopefully in a couple of years you'll have a fishing partner who can kick you butt on the water. Glad the weather is good. It's mostly been in the mid 70's here. I just can't get used to not having to wear a coat , gloves , bibs and long johns when I go fishing. Today I was in shorts and a t-shirt after 10am Take care of that new one, and Happy New year to all the Hoosiers

Lizards
Old 01-02-07, 08:53 PM   #15
CMorg

Well my dad got alot of things messed up with his boat.. Its a 1989 Ranger Comanche 335v , with a 150Horse Mariner. I dont know if 4000.00 is such a good deal now.... I think thats about what it books for. What are your thoughts ? I like the boat , but I dont know what to do.
Old 01-02-07, 08:55 PM   #16
CMorg

The steering is really tight also... and the motor smokes at idle , but not when the throttle is in Haulin as. mode... Hes had it for awile and he needs to sell it due to his rise in health insurance.
Old 01-02-07, 09:40 PM   #17
lizardsrule

http://www.nadaguides.com/Values/Val...del=1600146230

Here's a quick link for you.

However ebay had a 1992 19' Ranger listed for double digits? Just depends on what it's worth to you. If dad owned and operated it, and you feel it's a good boat, and decently maintained, then it'sd not a bad deal IMO. All older outboards smoke some at idle in my experience, some more than others.

1 FASTLASER, would be a better input guy than me though, or several others for that matter. I believe it's worth it if you will use it, and it's in good mechanical shape. I of course have a preference for Ranger's though.

Lizards
Old 01-02-07, 09:59 PM   #18
CMorg

Thanks Lizards , I think it will be a good boat. I like it , I do think maybe the steering needs greased , or work done on it , really the boat looks good , no chips or scratches ontop or below. It all seems to work great. Thanks again.
Old 01-02-07, 10:01 PM   #19
CMorg

I guess on that Nada site I have to look the outboard up seperately right ? If so , that would put it at about 4000.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.