Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-08, 03:44 PM   #1
frogfisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Frog Fishing for bass

I fish a small lake in Maryland and just recently started frog fishing. I have been having luck but not much with frogs. I have caught 5 bass in the last week but only one was on a frog. What are the best frogs to use when fishing for bass?
frogfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-08, 04:06 PM   #2
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

ok man there are a ton of different frogs out there so just fish the one you like the best , the biggest part of fishing a frog is giving it a natural presentation to the fish i usually throw it to the pads and let it sit for a minute or so ( the same idea as most other top waters wait until the rings are gone ) then give it a gental tug and wait and repeat and repeat and repeat or you could try to hop it with a quick rip .
Old 06-30-08, 04:13 PM   #3
Fishnngolfn

Has anyone ever tried live frogs? I have hundreds of little toad and tree frogs in the swamp behind my house. I have never tried to fish with them though.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-08, 06:29 PM   #4
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

They can be a great bait. It's been years since I used one, but hooked through the rear thigh muscle is how I used to use a live frog. Just casted it out near cover and let it do it's thing. Some people suggest hooking a frog through the lips, but I found the frog had more mobility when thigh hooked.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-08, 06:38 PM   #5
weaverml34

I used to fish for Blue Gills with tadpoles. The Blue Gills used to tear them up.
weaverml34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-08, 08:55 PM   #6
doughboy
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaverml34 View Post
I used to fish for Blue Gills with tadpoles. The Blue Gills used to tear them up.
How did you hook a tadpole?
doughboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-08, 10:35 AM   #7
tpttooter946
BassFishin.Com Member

You gotta have bigger tadpoles, the small ones are not worth the time to me. They are impossible to hang onto while putting a hook through them. I have never caught anything with them anyway.
Old 07-02-08, 11:46 AM   #8
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I'd check and see what is legal live bait wise in your state before using frogs/tadpole/or even blugills.

BB
Old 07-02-08, 02:27 PM   #9
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I'd check and see what is legal live bait wise in your state before using frogs/tadpole/or even blugills.

BB
good call BB, if i am not mistaken it is illegal to use live frogs here in missouri.

and to answer the question asked above, my favorite frog is the bronze eye frog from spro. great action and the best hook up ratio of any frog i have used.
Old 07-03-08, 11:29 AM   #10
Captmikestarrett

I have used peepers by the hundreds for LGMouth. Mouth hooked with a spring keeper working best.. A bobber was needed to identify the bite..

Mostly fished ponds on various golf coarses and caught a lot of pickles also. I would cast it out and jam the reel in a branch on a tree and practice my chipping or sand shots.. Every now and then I would search the lake for the bobber.

I wanted to be a professional golfer/fisherman.. Seems you can not be both and stay married..

Who would have thunk it.. ???

Capt Mike
Old 07-03-08, 11:32 AM   #11
damian2b

A lot of my friends play golf and ask me if i play, i tell them no because id rather fish
Old 07-03-08, 11:49 AM   #12
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian2b View Post
A lot of my friends play golf and ask me if i play, i tell them no because id rather fish

You can do both. Of course fishing is less expensive and stressful. Although while golfing I have received permission to fish the lakes on many courses so I don't have to be sneaky. I, personally, like to have permission to fish the lake or pond I am at.
Old 07-03-08, 12:28 PM   #13
stevomac59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captmikestarrett View Post
I have used peepers by the hundreds for LGMouth. Mouth hooked with a spring keeper working best.. A bobber was needed to identify the bite..

Mostly fished ponds on various golf coarses and caught a lot of pickles also. I would cast it out and jam the reel in a branch on a tree and practice my chipping or sand shots.. Every now and then I would search the lake for the bobber.

I wanted to be a professional golfer/fisherman.. Seems you can not be both and stay married..

Who would have thunk it.. ???

Capt Mike

That's why you need to marry a gal that loves to fish, just as some of the boys on this forum did! LOL

How can you figure out if you can fish in a golf course? I have a couple courses down here with nice sized ponds, but I have never had the courage, or idea, to go and ask if I can fish them!

-stevo
Old 07-03-08, 12:58 PM   #14
damian2b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnngolfn View Post
You can do both. Of course fishing is less expensive and stressful. Although while golfing I have received permission to fish the lakes on many courses so I don't have to be sneaky. I, personally, like to have permission to fish the lake or pond I am at.
Point taken, being a member can open up those closed fishing holes rather easily i take.
Old 07-03-08, 01:39 PM   #15
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevomac59 View Post
That's why you need to marry a gal that loves to fish, just as some of the boys on this forum did! LOL

How can you figure out if you can fish in a golf course? I have a couple courses down here with nice sized ponds, but I have never had the courage, or idea, to go and ask if I can fish them!
-stevo
Well you just have to get the courage to go up and ask. If not then try to see if you know someone who is a member. Ask them. Some clubs have rules that you have to be a member or a guest of the member. Some clubs have certain times they allow you to fish too. That way you don't interfere with the golfers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian2b View Post
Point taken, being a member can open up those closed fishing holes rather easily i take.

I am not a member. I usually just ask the public courses. Some let you and some don't. The worst they will say is no. It is also better to ask in person at the pro shop. The people working are more inclined to say no over the phone. I usually ask them after I have played a round of golf. I will scope out some of the water hazards and then after the round is over, I usually ask one of the guys working there.

Another thing that I do is check the aerial maps to see if you can fish any of the lakes that are on the edges of the course. Sometimes you can fish one side of the lake and not interfere with the golf players at all.
Old 07-04-08, 07:30 AM   #16
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
How did you hook a tadpole?
Through his tads ROTFLMAO sorry couldnt resit
Old 07-06-08, 10:08 PM   #17
keithdog

hahaha, thats pretty darn funny 1FAST
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-08, 03:30 PM   #18
cassidyta

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogfisher View Post
I fish a small lake in Maryland and just recently started frog fishing. I have been having luck but not much with frogs. I have caught 5 bass in the last week but only one was on a frog. What are the best frogs to use when fishing for bass?
I prefer the spro bronze eye. I would also suggest that you use it on a braided line. The non stretch makes a bigger difference on frogs than any other bait I throw.
cassidyta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-08, 12:22 PM   #19
Coachkwj
BassFishin.Com Member

I agree with cassidyta. Bronze Eye or Sumo Frog or Snagproof Bobby's Frog are all good.
A sleeper is the Trophy Scumfrog. It's $2.00-$3.00 cheapr than the others and works just as well. Be patient after a strike. Wait a second or two, especially when using braid, than smack 'em
Coachkwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-08, 09:08 AM   #20
bothomas

I fish frogs mostly on top of matted hydrilla. snag proof or hollow bodies are the only way to go. The tech is find what they want on any day. Not the the action of a frog, they don't know its a frog. All they know is something is on top of the mat and it is small enough to eat. Could be a frog, mouse, whatever.

I use toads on open water above veg. and across lily pads. Again on tech. find what they want that day. Its kinda like a buzz bait, they don't know what it is. They just know it is small enough to eat and may be wounded and is an easy target. By the way, Rage Tail Toads are an excellant choice, as are the shads. Make sure to disconnect the tails for the best action.
bothomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-08, 07:50 PM   #21
cassidyta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachkwj View Post
I agree with cassidyta. Bronze Eye or Sumo Frog or Snagproof Bobby's Frog are all good.
A sleeper is the Trophy Scumfrog. It's $2.00-$3.00 cheapr than the others and works just as well. Be patient after a strike. Wait a second or two, especially when using braid, than smack 'em
You are right coach, the first couple of times after I switched to braided, I pulled the frog right out of the mouths. It is hard to have the patience, but it pays off in the end. I brought in a 11.2 this morning on a white spro. The only bad part was trying to explain to my wife how I dropped our digital camera in the lake.....
Gonna be an expensive fish for me
cassidyta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-08, 05:36 PM   #22
BassMaster_17
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
The only bad part was trying to explain to my wife how I dropped our digital camera in the lake.....
Gonna be an expensive fish for me
get one of them waterproof disposible cameras........alot cheaper & take great pictures for the $$ & if i am not mistaken u can get them in digital now somthing to look into.
BassMaster_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-08, 06:21 PM   #23
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

actually they make waterproof cases for cameras.. that snap onto it and the camera is fully functional..i've always wanted one .. never bought one though.. i dont think they make them for my specific camera though
Old 07-15-08, 06:52 PM   #24
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Spro Bronzeye Frog, or the Spro Bronzeye Frog, Jr., depending upon your fish and how pressured they are. Expensive, but have good hook-up ratios.

Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-08, 04:54 AM   #25
bassfishing78
BassFishin.Com Member

i like the bronze eye and it seems that many other like it to, i think it would be a safe bet if you want to use a frog, go bronze eye spro.
bassfishing78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.