Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-09, 06:27 PM   #1
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Reel question

I have an Abu Black Maxx reel that I used for the first time Sunday, and had some issues with it. On an average of about 3 out of 4 casts, the retrieve wasn't smooth; it would "catch" a little. It's not grinding or squealing, and it casts fine. It felt almost like there was a hump that it would have to get over as I turned the handle. Resistance would increase, then after the "hump," it would be back to normal. And it was very quick, I could move the handle maybe an inch or two between "humps." It felt similar to having a huge Colorado blade spinnerbait tied on, feeling the thumps of the blade, but worse. I swung at phantom strikes a lot that day...

I meant to ask earlier, since I'm going to give it a look tonight. What am I looking for as far as problems? Any help is appreciated.
I might ask how to take the stupid thing apart later, too. We'll see how it goes...
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-09, 06:33 PM   #2
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Maybe you have a flat spot on a bearing.
Old 02-18-09, 06:41 PM   #3
MississippiBoy

Could be, I guess, but I figure that would make it misbehave every time, not sporadically. I didn't have any problems spooling it up or making some test casts out in the yard. But the first cast Sunday, it started.
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-09, 06:50 PM   #4
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I have my first Citica that is 15 years old. I think has a flat spot. But it is in the throw. It will squeel like a pig every other cast when it catches the bearing right, but it still throws like a champ. At least I think that is what is wrong with it. It is a shelf ornament now. I just couldn't tolerate the noise anymore.
Old 02-18-09, 08:26 PM   #5
abu4600
BassFishin.Com Active Member

MB. I have 1 that does the same thing and also have 2 pro max's that do it too. I havn't taken them apart or anything but it shouldn't be too hard.Also It might quit after you use it for a while. I just put mine in the closet and put my 4600's back on my rods.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-09, 09:26 PM   #6
cassidyta

I would focus on the prawn guide. that is where I have seen most of the catching issues.
Old 02-18-09, 09:26 PM   #7
aikenyounggun

it might be something with the bearings.... if you bought it used it might of been messed up by the owner... but if its relitively new it should be replaced (deosnt abu have a guarantee?)
Old 02-18-09, 09:32 PM   #8
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

The crank could be coming loose! The same thing happens to me..... on my bike! Some times the peddle will come loose and I will feel that "hump" I would think that it the same basic concept. It turns out that the treads holding the peddle to the crank was striped. This could have happened to the reel during testing!

Hope this helps,
Old 02-19-09, 12:28 AM   #9
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

mb...if your having trouble with it, take it back and get another one. DO NOT SEND IT TO THE FACTORY. done that with my old abu, they sent me a paper stating they would give me so much towards a newer reel. i sent the old one cuz my pop gave it to me, and told them that, they fixed the reel. took 3 weeks to get it back. only touble i have encountered with abu garcia.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.