Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-09, 07:59 PM   #1
Love of the Sport
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Worms!

The biggest worm I use is a 5", the pics make them seem bigger.

How do you chose? A rule for me is bluebird sky use a small senko type bait but what about the others. They almost have the same action. Is it just a personal preference?
Love of the Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-09, 08:09 PM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Dude! Only 5"!!!!?!?!?

What up? Most of the worms I use are 6"+, I'll get pics up! I use zoom, rage tail, berkly.. sometimes, yum, and... um, gambler!
Old 03-26-09, 08:13 PM   #3
fishin spro
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

most of mine are 7.5" plus.

i usually use U tails under or near piers, trick worms near grass, lizards near heavy cover, senkos in any situation, and finesse in deep water.
fishin spro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-09, 08:14 PM   #4
Love of the Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Dude! Only 5"!!!!?!?!?

What up? Most of the worms I use are 6"+, I'll get pics up! I use zoom, rage tail, berkly.. sometimes, yum, and... um, gambler!
Yep. Around here if you wanna catch more than 1 or 2 fish a day you better go small. That 3" on a shakey head is DEADLY! They can't seem to resist it. Its my #1 go to when times are tough.
Love of the Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-09, 08:34 PM   #5
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love of the Sport View Post
Yep. Around here if you wanna catch more than 1 or 2 fish a day you better go small. That 3" on a shakey head is DEADLY! They can't seem to resist it. Its my #1 go to when times are tough.
I'll go with tubes when that happens, I guess I could try going super fineness and go to 3" worms + a shaky head...... ya, I think I'll try that!

Here's ya go bud! My stuff (gotta love the orange counter top )!!! I'll most of the time use the 7-10" worms for most places I fish, But I'll got down to a 6" worm when I'm fishing my dink holes!

Those 10" annas you see second to the top, are one of my go-tos for sure in the fall and spring!!

(form the top down)

*first - 11" yum paddle tail worm
*second -10" Rage tail anaconda
*third - 7" zoom "G" tail I think
*forth - zoom 6" "U" tail worm
*fifth - 6" yum dinger
*sixth - 6" gambler sweebo worm

I'll also boil a worm, and than when it's still hot, I'll stretch it out to a 12" worm.

btw I love that idea of putting a white sheet of paper under the worms!

Last edited by Bassboss; 03-27-09 at 05:40 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-09, 08:42 PM   #6
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

for ribbont tail, I use 93.8% 7.5" Berkely power worms.

for senko's mostly 5-6" YUM dingers.

for finesse worms: hm... Zoom finnese ro swam crawlers. YUM finesse. and a couple other. Chompers are good too.

I can't wait to try the new Anacondas.

BB
Old 03-26-09, 08:44 PM   #7
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

It's been a looooong time since I fished any worms regularly but I'm bound and determined to fish Finesse worms on a Shakey Head this year
Old 03-26-09, 08:45 PM   #8
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

oh, i forgot to mention those. I like the Power Bait or Gulp shaky worms.

BB
Old 03-26-09, 08:47 PM   #9
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post

BB

I grabbed 3 bags of Gander Finesse a cew days ago. Can't wait to try em...........Mallen taps foot........
Old 03-26-09, 08:55 PM   #10
Bassboss

Quote:
for ribbont tail, I use 93.8% 7.5" Berkely power worms.

for finesse worms: hm... Zoom finnese ro swam crawlers. YUM finesse. and a couple other. Chompers are good too.

I can't wait to try the new Anacondas.

BB
Yup! Their a great worm! I got them when they first came out, was something the fish never saw. They killed them, I got one pack at first to try out, I used the whole pack in a little over an hour, with about 2-3 fish on each worm! I find it's best to use them weight less or with a bullet shot (it's like a split shot only in the shape of a bullet weight) to get them to sink a little fast, slow steady retrieve!

Quote:
Me to, in fact, I've never even used a senko, first pack I got was on a hot summer day, and I droped them out of the bag onto hot concrete, and before I could get them them, they turned into melted plastic, the drive way still has the senko burnt onto it!

Good luck and good fishing!
Old 03-26-09, 09:08 PM   #11
MrPhotographer06
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

i fish the 7.5" culprits.. then the finesse worms are like 7 somethin.. and i fish the 10" culprits..

smallest thing i fish period is like a 4" lizard and 6" lizard
Old 03-26-09, 10:09 PM   #12
WatterBoy

7" Yamasenkos for me. I had great luck catching bass in numbers and size on them last year here in MN. Caught my two biggest ever LM (4-0, 4-2) and two biggest ever SM (2-10, 3-2) on them last July. My favorite color is watermelon with black/red flakes, but other colors like blue/black or white also worked well. All of the biggest bass were caught in 8-10 feet depths under sunny conditions in very clear water (water clarity = 14 feet).
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-09, 03:41 AM   #13
zaraflux
BassFishin.Com Member

I use all different kinds from 3" senkos to 12" Culprits and anything in between the 6"zoom finesse sees the most use

Love Of The Sport- did you guys salted badly with Katrina? going small to get 1-2 fish are not the memories I have from Baton Rouge area
zaraflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-09, 08:03 PM   #14
Jim80

Quote:

BB
The power bait shaky head worms are great I like them better than the zoom trick worms but for some reason the are not many stores in my area that carry them .

Jim
Old 03-27-09, 08:10 PM   #15
JB

Ya need to add some four inch worms in your arsenal, either paddle tail or auger tail, I prefer red shad or a producto paddle tail in black red fleck, that slow paddle motion gets them in the summer
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-09, 08:21 PM   #16
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I fish a lot of Zoom 4" curly tails with a 1/16 slow. Other than that, it's a 6" Zoom lizard or speed worm in probably watermelon or green pumpkin or a 7.5 Culprit, fire and ice and red shad are pretty popular right now.
Old 03-27-09, 08:29 PM   #17
fishin spro
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPhotographer06 View Post
i fish the 7.5" culprits.. then the finesse worms are like 7 somethin.. and i fish the 10" culprits..

smallest thing i fish period is like a 4" lizard and 6" lizard
a 7 inch finesse worm? are u sure its not a trick worm ur talkin abt? every finesse worm i have seen was 4" or 6"....i could be wrong, but i didnt know they made 7" finesse worms.
fishin spro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-09, 08:48 PM   #18
zooker

i use from hula grubs to 12 ol monster worms..the 4"finesse,4"dead ringer,and 8"mag II are used the most..

zooker
Old 03-27-09, 09:04 PM   #19
aikenyounggun

i really dont use huge worms but i usually go with straight tail worms if its colder or blue bird skys .... it just more finesse.... usually if i upsize or want somethin that moves more water i use a lizard......

yeah on a 2nd note definatley use finesse worms for shaky head and are those rage tail anacondas good???
Old 03-27-09, 10:17 PM   #20
abu4600

I use Zoom finesse worms , 6" dead ringers , U-tails and baby brushhogs the most.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-09, 11:59 PM   #21
Bassin21
BassFishin.Com Member

Zoom MagII, Zoom 6" U Tail, Zoom Swamp Crawler, or Zoom 4" Dead Ringer. I have caught fish on the MagII that the worm was longer than the fish, and also caught some bigger fish on the 4" worm. Makes me wonder if worm size is as important as I make it out to be.
Bassin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-09, 09:50 AM   #22
zooker

no bassin it aint

it is the same way with crank baits...

thats a poes 400 with a bass on it..

zooker
Old 03-28-09, 01:58 PM   #23
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love of the Sport View Post

The biggest worm I use is a 5", the pics make them seem bigger.

How do you chose? A rule for me is bluebird sky use a small senko type bait but what about the others. They almost have the same action. Is it just a personal preference?
Wrong, ALMOST is not identical, so difference is only perceptible by the fish, reason why one works better than the other and why fish prefer one over the other on a given day even if you use the same rigging method.

Also, the baits may be made with the same material but there are lots of variables in the formula, those variables ( like salt content or the lack of it, or the ammount of softener or hardener used on the plastic formula ) make the bait yto have different sink rate and move differently.

The shape of the tail also makes the bait emit different vibrations and makes the slection of the bait be better suited for a certain water clarity, plus it add or diminishes bouyancy to the bait.

A rule for me is bluebird sky

Bluebird like upon what, crystal clear, high visibility, low visibilty, zero visibility ?

use a small senko type

Rigged how upon what ?
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-09, 03:17 PM   #24
cassidyta

For me, I list any worm under 6 inch and under as a small worm.
My mid range worms are 7-10 inch.
My large worms go from 10-18 inch.
I don't focus on the sky color as much as the water clarity and cover coloring. I usually try to match the underwater cover. I throw darker worms against rocks and mud, green variations into the grasses. My thought is that I don't want the fish to be able to really identify the bait. I want them to strike based on motion.

I do think that worm size starts to matter more as you get into the larger worms. (10 inch and up) It is true that I have caught small fish on the large worms, but they are far more an exception than the rule. I find this to be the most true in pre spawn, post spwan and early fall. I consider these to be the times when the bass are looking for the most protien without having to exert as much effort.
For me, this is when the bigger bass will agressively hunt the larger bait, often knocking the smaller ones out of the way to get to it.
Old 03-28-09, 04:17 PM   #25
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikenyounggun View Post
i really dont use huge worms but i usually go with straight tail worms if its colder or blue bird skys .... it just more finesse.... usually if i upsize or want somethin that moves more water i use a lizard......

yeah on a 2nd note definatley use finesse worms for shaky head and are those rage tail anacondas good???
yyyyyeeeeeeessssssssss!!!!!!!!!!

I love them! My go-to 10" worms, almost my to-to worm! Use them weight less and slow retrieve, never caught any thing on the t-rigged weighted? Be ready for the strikes, cause they hit hard!! Almost like a swimbait!

With out a doubt one of my bait monkeys biggest foods! They're like 5 ot 6 bucks a pack, but every time I see them I get a pack of each. Watermelon red fleck, red bug, and green pumpkin are my faves!

Good luck with them if you get some!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.