Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-09, 07:10 PM   #26
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
For me, I list any worm under 6 inch and under as a small worm.
My mid range worms are 7-10 inch.
My large worms go from 10-18 inch.
I don't focus on the sky color as much as the water clarity and cover coloring. I usually try to match the underwater cover. I throw darker worms against rocks and mud, green variations into the grasses. My thought is that I don't want the fish to be able to really identify the bait. I want them to strike based on motion.

I do think that worm size starts to matter more as you get into the larger worms. (10 inch and up) It is true that I have caught small fish on the large worms, but they are far more an exception than the rule. I find this to be the most true in pre spawn, post spwan and early fall. I consider these to be the times when the bass are looking for the most protien without having to exert as much effort.
For me, this is when the bigger bass will agressively hunt the larger bait, often knocking the smaller ones out of the way to get to it.
where can you get some 18" worms? I would really like some big ones!
Old 03-28-09, 08:58 PM   #27
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The ones I use are made by western plastics. Most of the others are picked up at local stores. They are usually purchased as a single from mom and pop vendors.
They have their place, but they can be a very frustrating bait. I never thread them to account for short strikes. I used to, but found that the smaller bass would get on and mess them up. I use a 7/0 hook and T-rig them. (I have never caught a C-rig fish on them, but have had plenty of strikes)

90% of the time, I set the hook on a fish that only has the tail. They do not get struck often. And you will only hook up 5 to 10 percent of the time that they get struck. I will usually only switch to them in the heat of the day when I am working areas that are between 25-50% of the deepest part of the lake.
I also use them a lot for night fishing. None of them are ribbon tailed.
Old 03-28-09, 09:02 PM   #28
JB

sometimes other species can pick up the tail and take it for a ride, setting the hook costs nothing, so I go with it and dont take any chances, if it keeps happening you can thread a stinger hook to the tail and get a chance on hooking that bass or what ever is picking up the tail
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-09, 04:02 AM   #29
zaraflux
BassFishin.Com Member

Bass Pro started carrying singles dont know what brand if I remember correctly they were 16" may not be at all stores though
zaraflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-09, 11:35 AM   #30
mlsjs2
BassFishin.Com Member

what i found here fishing worms is that in grass and especially shallows tough to beat a Zoom trick worm.

but in reservoirs up here i have destroyed places using the senko style stick worms t rigged or wacky style in 4 or 5 inch...
mlsjs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-09, 12:08 PM   #31
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
The ones I use are made by western plastics. Most of the others are picked up at local stores. They are usually purchased as a single from mom and pop vendors.
They have their place, but they can be a very frustrating bait. I never thread them to account for short strikes. I used to, but found that the smaller bass would get on and mess them up. I use a 7/0 hook and T-rig them. (I have never caught a C-rig fish on them, but have had plenty of strikes)

90% of the time, I set the hook on a fish that only has the tail. They do not get struck often. And you will only hook up 5 to 10 percent of the time that they get struck. I will usually only switch to them in the heat of the day when I am working areas that are between 25-50% of the deepest part of the lake.
I also use them a lot for night fishing. None of them are ribbon tailed.
Thanks cass! you could try threading a 1/0 hook through the bait to about 6" from the tail to get better hook ups.

btw I could not find the web sight, I found one with their bats though, but they only had 16" worms. do you have a link to the sight?

thank again cass!
Old 03-30-09, 01:31 PM   #32
cassidyta

I will check for a link. They are local to my area so I just get things from the stores out here.

I have not had much luck with a second hook. It messes with the floating action too much.
Old 03-30-09, 02:52 PM   #33
swimbaitkid
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I use worms as big as 16in, on drop shot they are really good
swimbaitkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-09, 03:42 PM   #34
cassidyta

I have seen guys do that on DS, but not with any more or less luck than with a smaller worm. These worms may end up costing you $2 each. I prefer not to use them where th edinks would tear them up. I consider them to be a trophy bait.
Old 03-30-09, 05:23 PM   #35
fishin spro
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

16" thats a HUGE!!!! worm
Old 03-30-09, 05:28 PM   #36
MississippiBoy

Sorry everybody, I just gotta....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin spro View Post
16" thats a HUGE!!!! worm
"That's what she said!"
Old 03-30-09, 05:39 PM   #37
bamabassman

yep mb....she said to ME!!! hahahahahaha.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.