Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-10, 06:14 PM   #1
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Leader for carolina rigs

I know that with most bass fisherman either you love a carolina rig or you hate it! For those of you who love a c-rig or just tolerate them when you have to, what type of line and size line do you use for your leader on the carolina rig? I guess I might as well include main line type and size in this thread also. Thanks.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-10, 06:18 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

My main line is 50 lb Powerpro. For a leader I use 12 or 17-usually 17-lb Vanish. Yes, Vanish. I've found while it ain't worth much as a main line it makes a pretty good leader for a C-rig. My leaders are mostly in the 3 foot range.
Old 02-27-10, 06:19 PM   #3
Bassboss

I think braid would do very well on a c-rig rod. since you're always using leader the visibility does not mater, and plus, it's super sensitive, 30lb should be fine. As far as leader, use a good mono, if you're not using a sinking bait, other wise, if you're using a floating worm, flouro, you won't need the floating mono to keep your bait up there. Probably 15lb leader. 30" learder most of the time.
Old 02-27-10, 07:50 PM   #4
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I use 50lb Power Pro as my main line and use 17lb Sufix Elite on my leader. The mono will still break before the braid so I don't lose my weight and it will help float the bait better than fluoro.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-10, 08:09 PM   #5
Captmikestarrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
I use 50lb Power Pro as my main line and use 17lb Sufix Elite on my leader. The mono will still break before the braid so I don't lose my weight and it will help float the bait better than fluoro.
Same idea 50lb power pro and 20 lb berkly big game.. it allows a few more fish before retie..

Capt Mike
Old 02-27-10, 08:57 PM   #6
Hoop Goobner
BassFishin.Com Member

I use 50lb power pro main line, and 10 or 12 lb flouro leader. I use P-line CFX leader specific flouro or berkley 100% flouro (gold box). I typically use a 12 lb leader, but I've been out-fished in super clear water with the 10 lb, so I've added that to my arsenal. Typical leader length is probably around 30".

I use tungsten weights when I can afford them, one glass or plastic bead, and I like to use a clacker for knot protection. Spro power swivels are the only way to go.

One thing to consider when using tungsten weights... Last year in a tournament, I was about to make a cast when a little voice inside told me to check my main line because I hadn't in awhile. Power Pro is awesome, but I've noticed that its a good idea to re-tie every now and then because the 6" of line from the leader up really takes a lot of abuse. Anyhow, thank goodness I checked. The tungsten weight must've made heavy contact with the glass bead because all that was left of the bead was a cylinder of sharp edges. Anybody else run into this with tungsten? I never had this problem with brass.

btw, I'm new here... so hello everyone.
Hoop Goobner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-10, 10:08 PM   #7
Bob Smith

30-50# Power Pro braid for the main line. 14 # trilene XT in Green at 4-5' for the leader.
Old 02-27-10, 10:52 PM   #8
everettvet

Hoop, Welcome to the site and thank you for the reply.

Has anyone else that uses braid had the same problem with the line having problems near weight?

Thanks for all the replies!!!
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-10, 11:48 PM   #9
BassinNC

50 lbs spiderwire with 14lb trilene xl as my leader.
Old 02-28-10, 09:42 AM   #10
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I don't have a designated c-rig setup since I don't fish them that often. But when I do, It's on 30lb braid with a 12lb test fluorocarbon leader.

BB
Old 03-01-10, 06:21 PM   #11
BeaverIslander
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Same here, same reason.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 05:25 PM   #12
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverIslander View Post
Same here, same reason.
Another reason to use mono is the stretch factor. Even though the leader is short, it allows for a little bit of stretch on the hookset, whereby the braid main line has no stretch. I also keep my drag backed off so that the reel "zips" on the hookset. I tighten up a little when I start my retrieve, but the loose drag and mono means fewer broken leaders on the hookset and fewer torn mouths due to ripping hooks out of them on hooksets.
Old 03-02-10, 06:54 PM   #13
nofearengineer

I have switched to a 17lb fluoro line with a 10lb fluoro leader. I used to use 65 lb braid, but found it sort of overkill, unless fishing really heavy cover, at which point I would usually switch to a jig anyway.
Old 03-04-10, 08:01 AM   #14
basstech

I use 15 to 20 lb. flouro with a 10 or 12 lb. test flouro leader as well.
Old 03-05-10, 02:08 AM   #15
Hoop Goobner
BassFishin.Com Member

I can understand a longer leader in grass, but how much do you guys think leader length matters on a bottom that doesn't involve grass? Most of the lakes I fish don't have grass. Just weeds, and I find most of my c-rig success is on the outside edge of those weeds, or on deep structure. I very rarely throw a c-rig shallower than 8 ft, and it's one of my go to methods because I've had a lot of success with it. I clobbered largemouth and smallies one mid-fall day in '08 in 19 ft. of water. I only mention that because you usually read about the c-rig and much shorter depths than 19 ft.

I want to learn all I can about this method even though I have plenty of experience with it and feel very confident with it. But I'm certainly not confident enough to be arrogant. I realize there's always a better way, and there's always room to learn.

My typical leader length is this - if I hold the hook in my right hand with my arm straight, the swivel is usually at about my left ear. I never vary from that much, even though I know I should experiment more.

I'm curious, many of you have listed leader lengths... but gave no explanation as to why you choose that length? I'm mostly interested in answers that include trial and error, including lengths tried under certain conditions.
Old 03-05-10, 02:23 AM   #16
Hoop Goobner
BassFishin.Com Member

One other thing... I notice that some use a mono leader and some flouro. I fish a lot of clear and semi-clear lakes. I use flouro. It was a struggle though. I was worried that the flouro would keep my bait from having good action, and lessen the effect of "popping up" when I'd pop the sinker off a rock or something. I had to make a decision of which was more important - a virtually invisible leader, or a leader that would allow my bait to act more erratic, and not constantly be tagged to the bottom from the denser line. I chose invisibility, and I do feel that I get more bites with the flouro (I fished mono leader for years prior). But to be honest, I think it's all a confidence factor. Whichever way you can convince your mind is the best, will indeed be the best.

I never had a problem with losing fish, even with flouro and braid main line. I even keep my drag somewhat tight so I have good control when fighting. I think the hook set is critical. I point my rod at the water and work the bait with a sideways motion. I set the hook with a sideways sweeping motion, but I never hammer the fish. It's not gentle either. I guess in between. However, probably the best c-rig fisherman I know locally uses a 10 to 12 o'clock technique, and sets the hook over head.

I'm throwing a lot of information around here, and I hope I'm not hijacking the thread. I'm curious to know how many beads you use, what type (I hear force beads are the big thing now), do you use a clacker, typical weight size and weight material, etc. Maybe this stuff is all secret, lol! I understand...
Old 03-08-10, 01:18 PM   #17
Basscrazie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smith View Post
Another reason to use mono is the stretch factor. Even though the leader is short, it allows for a little bit of stretch on the hookset, whereby the braid main line has no stretch. I also keep my drag backed off so that the reel "zips" on the hookset. I tighten up a little when I start my retrieve, but the loose drag and mono means fewer broken leaders on the hookset and fewer torn mouths due to ripping hooks out of them on hooksets.
This is the same i do..I stay away from flouro because i don't want my bait sinking in side the brush and get hung..I made a mistake and tried 8lb p-line leader and it did fine for a bit but the first fish that got to the brush broke me off so i use 12 to 15lb now..Now this is just for fishing deep brush and hand built piles..Flouro night work great in other types of cover..
Basscrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-10, 02:19 PM   #18
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoop Goobner View Post
One other thing... I notice that some use a mono leader and some flouro. I fish a lot of clear and semi-clear lakes. I use flouro. It was a struggle though. I was worried that the flouro would keep my bait from having good action, and lessen the effect of "popping up" when I'd pop the sinker off a rock or something. I had to make a decision of which was more important - a virtually invisible leader, or a leader that would allow my bait to act more erratic, and not constantly be tagged to the bottom from the denser line. I chose invisibility, and I do feel that I get more bites with the flouro (I fished mono leader for years prior). But to be honest, I think it's all a confidence factor. Whichever way you can convince your mind is the best, will indeed be the best.

I never had a problem with losing fish, even with flouro and braid main line. I even keep my drag somewhat tight so I have good control when fighting. I think the hook set is critical. I point my rod at the water and work the bait with a sideways motion. I set the hook with a sideways sweeping motion, but I never hammer the fish. It's not gentle either. I guess in between. However, probably the best c-rig fisherman I know locally uses a 10 to 12 o'clock technique, and sets the hook over head.

I'm throwing a lot of information around here, and I hope I'm not hijacking the thread. I'm curious to know how many beads you use, what type (I hear force beads are the big thing now), do you use a clacker, typical weight size and weight material, etc. Maybe this stuff is all secret, lol! I understand...
I generally use a 1/2oz to 1 oz tungsten bullet weight with a glass bead and brass clacker/knot protector. I like the tungsten because I feel it gives off more sound. Tru Tungsten makes a c-rig weight now that is really long, it looks interesting but they are even more expensive than the regular weights.
Old 03-13-10, 08:45 PM   #19
Reel Deal
BassFishin.Com Member

I guess I'm one or the only one of the old-fashioned guys here. I have always used 14lb mono line with 10lb mono leader. I use 3/4 or 1 ounce lead egg sinkers and keep my leader from 1 1/2 to 3 feet, depending on length of the grass or weeds.
Reel Deal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-10, 09:40 PM   #20
Bob Smith

Quote:
I generally use a 1/2oz to 1 oz tungsten bullet weight with a glass bead and brass clacker/knot protector. I like the tungsten because I feel it gives off more sound. Tru Tungsten makes a c-rig weight now that is really long, it looks interesting but they are even more expensive than the regular weights.
Jrob (I sure miss Dallas!), out here in north Georgia I put my Tungsten, Nickle-Tungsten and brass weights away for use on Guntersville and some of the soft bottom lakes of Alabama. The rocks are just too danged sharp to risk losing high dollar weights. I have gone back to using lead egg sinkers and cheap plastic beads out here.
Old 03-13-10, 11:33 PM   #21
lilmule

12 lb mono as a leader generally about 2 1/2 ft,main line is often 20lb braid,if not 15 pd mono.
With 1/2 oz weight toss as shallow as 3 ft.3/4 to 1 oz for deep.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-10, 11:42 PM   #22
Jrob78

Quote:
Jrob (I sure miss Dallas!), out here in north Georgia I put my Tungsten, Nickle-Tungsten and brass weights away for use on Guntersville and some of the soft bottom lakes of Alabama. The rocks are just too danged sharp to risk losing high dollar weights. I have gone back to using lead egg sinkers and cheap plastic beads out here.
What part of Dallas were you in Bob?
Old 03-14-10, 09:48 AM   #23
Bob Smith

Quote:
What part of Dallas were you in Bob?
We lived in South Arlington from Jan 1992 till June of 2007. I am still a modertor on the Texas Fishing Forum and have many friends out there.
Old 03-14-10, 10:18 AM   #24
Jrob78

Quote:
We lived in South Arlington from Jan 1992 till June of 2007. I am still a modertor on the Texas Fishing Forum and have many friends out there.
Very cool! I live in Carrollton, grew up in Farmers Branch. I'm on TFF too although I don't post there very often. To the best of my knowledge WaffleJaw and myself are the only North Texans on the forum. Glad to meet another member with DFW ties.
Old 03-14-10, 11:19 AM   #25
CamG

20 lb Pline CXx as a main line, with either 10-12 lb Pline CX or Vicious Fluoro. Always use a 3.5 to 4' leader.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.