Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-11, 06:36 PM   #1
justbassin4fun
BassFishin.Com Member

Default New Shimano's spec's are out!

Spec's are out on TW and Shiman's site!

The Chronarch's have a full left handed lineup! Looks like the Chronarch is actually the Curado and the Curado is the Citica with an extra bearing. Citica looks to be unchanged. I didn't bother to go any lower in the lineup. Or higher as I can't afford them anyway!

Good news for the Curado E7 owners(well maybe). We might be able to order the Chronarch's gearsets for the older E7??

I might just have to pass my Revo down to my kid and snag a CH201E5 for deep cranking????
justbassin4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-11, 12:37 AM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'm wondering about the new stuff too. They may have hit a home run on it... but they may have just turned away tons of long time customers.
Old 07-17-11, 08:48 PM   #3
MIbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have a feeling I'll be getting a couple of the Chronarch's soon.... Just what I need, more reels!
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-11, 08:58 PM   #4
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Probably be better off buying some of the Curado 200/50E on sale if you can still find them. Basically the same reel. Chronarch is just painted a different color and added $20 to the price tag. Smart marketing move though, a price increase in disguise.

BB
Old 07-17-11, 09:03 PM   #5
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbassin4fun View Post
Spec's are out on TW and Shiman's site!

The Chronarch's have a full left handed lineup! Looks like the Chronarch is actually the Curado and the Curado is the Citica with an extra bearing. Citica looks to be unchanged. I didn't bother to go any lower in the lineup. Or higher as I can't afford them anyway!

Good news for the Curado E7 owners(well maybe). We might be able to order the Chronarch's gearsets for the older E7??

I might just have to pass my Revo down to my kid and snag a CH201E5 for deep cranking????

There are several differences in the new Shimano line-up that are known for sure and a few that one would have to speculate about until you can hold them in hand.

The new Curado and Citica are built on the Caenan frame, but instead of the composite material used to produce the Caenan, the Citica and Curado will have an aluminum frame, this we know. For speculation, the Curado and Citica will both ulilize HEG gearing and SF pinion design, something the Caenan did not support and basically means that while they look like a Caenan on the outside they will have to be made much different to support these additional features.

The new Chronarch appears that it will be produced on what was the old Shimano Curado/Citica E series frame, but again the design of the traditional Chronarch is different than that of the E series reels, the Chronarch uses a hub that screws into the frame to support the palm side spool bearing.

While there are many Shimano fans in an uproar about the newest reels, I don't think anyone outside those who have actually held them and been able to look them over know exactly what these reels have in store for us.

If the new Chronarch 50E is made in the same style as the older Chronarch reels it should be very nice.
Old 07-17-11, 09:39 PM   #6
BigBassin144

While I am admittedly not a big fan of Shimano, I was actually very anxious to see what they were going to do with the Chronarch as I've thought about purchasing a Chronarch D multiple times. I was truly disappointed to see that, at least from the appearance and specs of the reel, it is identical to the Curado E with a new paint job.

I think this quote from the TT ICAST coverage sums it up pretty well whether you agree or disagree with Shimano's marketing move:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT ICAST Coverage
The Chronarch E is a radical departure from the previous version which was basically an aluminum version of the Core. Shimano has now gone in a new direction and wants to make the Chronarch more like the Curado.
I know that in other cases, designing reels built on cheaper reels' platforms can have a negative effect on consumers, especially ones like a lot of us who way past the average fishermen in terms of tackle.

From a marketing perspective, what Shimano did with the Chronarch will undoubtedly reduce sales from the tackle "enthusiast" fishing popular, but will probably bring in more sales from a larger group of tackle buyers. I find it interesting how Shimano and Daiwa went in COMPLETELY different directions this year; one appealing to the tackle enthusiast, the other more to the masses.

Sadly, it seems I'll be keeping my experience with Shimano to my Citica, unless I can find a good deal on a Chronarch D.

BB
Old 07-18-11, 11:39 AM   #7
justbassin4fun
BassFishin.Com Member

I am sure the dismal economy is what spurred the changes. They are in it to make money and the profit margin rules the business decisions these days. They have to stay in the black.

What were the complaints on the Caenan's?
Old 07-18-11, 12:37 PM   #8
BigBassin144

I think most of the complaints about the Caenan were about it's graphite construction.

BB
Old 07-18-11, 02:09 PM   #9
justbassin4fun
BassFishin.Com Member

I thought about the same. It worked fine, I just didn't like the feel of the graphite frame. Hopefully the aluminum version will feel better.

I almost bought a citica 201, But scored my 201E7 for a dirt cheap deal. Love the reel but hate the color and would prefer a lower gear. So its a burning spinner baits.

How is the E7's for light crankbaits?
Old 07-18-11, 03:45 PM   #10
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Bantam 1 from Shimano responded to a post on another site I go to. Here is the question and response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Root
I am hearing that this new Chronarch is basically last years Curado, with a new paint job. Not that I believe that, but what are the differences?

Yes they are built on the same tooling. The major difference is the double anodized spool and handle. We also added some different gear ratio options and added the larger PV grips to the 50 size.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-11, 05:11 PM   #11
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro reel View Post
Bantam 1 from Shimano responded to a post on another site I go to. Here is the question and response.

Quote:
I am hearing that this new Chronarch is basically last years Curado, with a new paint job. Not that I believe that, but what are the differences?

Yes they are built on the same tooling. The major difference is the double anodized spool and handle. We also added some different gear ratio options and added the larger PV grips to the 50 size.
Lame. Not enough to justify calling it a Chronarch, or a $20 price hike IMO.

It's looking more and more like they did a price hike on all there reels, and gave the new names and paint.

Citica G looks like a citica E with new paint (anyone see ANY changes?) + a $10 price hike
Curado G looks like an upgraded Citica E with an extra bearing + magnumlite spool + Weight reduction + $40 price hike.
Chronarch E looks like a Curado E with some fancy anodizing on the spool and handle (does this do anything to effect performance/longevity?) + $20 price hike.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, cause I'd love to be, lol.

Last edited by Bassboss; 07-18-11 at 05:31 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-11, 05:15 PM   #12
Tavery5

Will be interesting to hold one in hand. If it is no different than last years E model Curado besides an anodized spool and handle with a wider range of gears that would truly be ashame. Hear anything about how they were going to support HEG gearing and SF pinion design on the new Curado/Citica?
Old 07-18-11, 05:33 PM   #13
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Lame. Not enough to justify calling it a Chronarch, or a $20 price hike IMO.

It's looking more and more like they did a price hike on all there reels, and gave the new names and paint.

Citica G looks like a citica E with new paint (anyone see ANY changes?) + a $10 price hike
Curado G looks like an upgraded Citica E with an extra bearing + magnumlite spool + Weight reduction + $40 price hike.
Chronarch E looks like a Curado E with some fancy anodizing on the spool and handle (does this do anything to effect performance/longevity?) + $20 price hike.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, cause I'd love to be, lol.

I think the only thing you are visually missing is the fact that the New Curado and Citica are now going to be built on the same frame as the Caenan.
Old 07-18-11, 06:08 PM   #14
BigBassin144

Quote:

Quote:

That is disappointing to hear. Even though I'm not a fan of Citica/Curado 200E platform I was hoping they really did do something to make the Chronarch different than the previous Curado performance wise. Doesn't sound like it...

BB
Old 07-19-11, 09:51 AM   #15
justbassin4fun
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
Will be interesting to hold one in hand. If it is no different than last years E model Curado besides an anodized spool and handle with a wider range of gears that would truly be ashame. Hear anything about how they were going to support HEG gearing and SF pinion design on the new Curado/Citica?
Shimano has a new page on the site with the "2011" reel spec's. Both the new Curado and Citica have SF and HEG listed in the features.
Old 07-19-11, 10:12 AM   #16
pro reel

More changes with Shimano. I just went to the texas fishing board that had the shimano suport forum where i got the info yesterday. It's no longer there. Shimano dropped the suport forum. Possibly in response to several critical posts of the new line up. I wonder if Bantam will drop from the TT site as well? The last post I saw from Bantam before they scraped the forum was very detailed about the line up and i wanted to repost it here, but was to late. Bantam basically said that the economy, with a rising yen and falling dollar had really hit them hard. Thats why the E 50 was priced $40 above the E5 and E7. It came out later in the year with higher costs. If shimano were to have left the line up alone or even tweaked tham a bit by adding ratios and more lefties to the the old line up, they would have had to have a price increase to them. Low sales of the Curados already told them that a price increase would not go well. So they changed the name to chronarch. Made some very minor tweaks. Raised the price, and hope that it sells better than the curado did. That hope is pinned to the belief that the masses will welcome the chance to buy a reel called a chronarch at a significant discount from the previous chronarch model. They then did the same thing, kinda, by droping the curado and citica names to lower quality reels with less features that they can build cheaper and sell cheaper. Oh, and it's no oversite that the TT site only mentions the Chronarch as being built in Japan. The other reels are not built in Japan.
Old 07-19-11, 10:51 AM   #17
pro reel

another answered question on the TT site

I'm sure that this is the question that everyone has been wanting to ask:

So other than color, what's the differences between the Chronarch E and the Curado E?
bassninja
Senior Angler

Private messageTop
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Report this postReply with quoteRe: New 2012 Shimano Reels
by Bantam1 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:33 am

Double anodized spool and handle have been added for corrosion resistance. This is pretty much the only difference.
Old 07-19-11, 05:41 PM   #18
Tavery5

Quote:
They then did the same thing, kinda, by dropping the curado and citica names to lower quality reels with less features that they can build cheaper and sell cheaper.

Kevin, why do you feel like these are lower quality reels, and what features do these reels not have that previous models did?
Old 07-20-11, 09:32 AM   #19
pro reel

Chronarch E series , this is the new release.
Aluminum Frame
• Lightweight Graphite Sideplates
• Recessed Reel Foot
• High Efficiency Gearing (HEG®)
• Super Free Bearing Supported Pinion Gear System (SF®)
• A7075 Aluminum Magnumlite™ Spool
• Dartainium® 2 Drag Washer B
• 7 Bearings
• 5 Shielded Stainless Steel BB
• 1 S A-RB® BB
• 1 A-RB® Roller Clutch Bearing
• Variable Brake System (VBS®) with Reduced Mass Hub
• Super Stopper® II
• Assist Stopper
• Drilled Handle Shank
• Septon PV Power Grips
• Titanium IP Line Guide
• 1/8 Turn Easy Access Attached Sideplate
• Metal Cast Control Knob
• Double Anodized Spool and Handle
• Disengaging Levelwind System
• QuickFire II® Clutch Bar
• Made in Japan

2010 Chronarch The Chronarch D is constructed with an aluminum frame and sideplates, Shimano also incorporated an ultra lightweight A7075 aluminum spool with the Magnumlite spool design. One added benefit that is not present in the Core reels is the addition of S A-RB bearings, these bearings are treated like the A-RB bearings but are also shielded on both sides reducing the possibility of salt or sand inhibiting the bearings rotation. The D Series Chronarch incorporates many of the Shimano premium features and is built tough for years of use.

•Magnumlite Spool Design
•Durable Brass Drivetrain
•S A-RB Ball Bearings
•A-RB Ball Bearing
•High Efficiency Gearing (HEG)
•Super Stopper
•Super Free (SF)
•Variable Brake System (VBS)
•Reduced Mass VBS Hub
•Escape Hatch
•Dartainium Drag
•Cold Forged Aluminum Drag Star
•Clicking Drag Adjustment
•Tapered Ti Levelwind Insert
•Cold Forged Aluminum Handle Shank
•Drilled Handle Shank
•Septon Handle Grips
•Recessed Reel Foot
There is so much more small differences here that are hard to describe, but these 2 reels are not even close to the same class. Thats why there is a big price drop for this reel. Is the new Chronarch a good reel? Heck yes it is, it's a silver Curado available in more ratio's. It's the Chronado.

Curado E series
•The new 200's are smaller than 100's with the capacity of a 200
•Aluminum Frame
•Lightweight Graphite Sideplates (Aluminum Handle Side on 300 sizes)
•Recessed Reel Foot
•Super Free Bearing Supported Pinion Gear System (SF)
•A7075 Aluminum Magnumlite Spool
•Dartainium Drag
•7 Bearings • 1 S A-RB BB • 5 Shielded Stainless Steel BB • 1 A-RB Roller Clutch Bearing
•Variable Brake System (VBS) with Reduced Mass Hub
•Super Stopper II
•Assist Stopper
•Drilled Handle Shank
•Septon PV Power Grips (SV on 300 sizes)
•Cold Forged AL Drag Star with Clicking Adjustment
•Titanium IP Line Guide
•1/8 Turn Easy Access Attached Sideplate
•Metal Cast Control Knob
•Double Anodized Spool and Handle
•Disengaging Levelwind System
•QuickFire II Clutch Bar
•Made in Japan
•Approved for use in Saltwater
•Rated for use with Mono, Fluorocarbon and PowerPro lines

Curado G, the new release.
•Aluminum Frame
•Lightweight Graphite Sideplates
•Recessed Reel Foot
•Super Free Bearing Supported Pinion Gear System (SF)
•A7075 Aluminum Magnumlite Spool
•Dartainium Drag
•5 Bearings
•4 Shielded Stainless Steel BB
•Roller Clutch Bearing
•Variable Brake System (VBS) with Reduced Mass Hub
•Super Stopper
•Assist Stopper
•Septon PV Power Grips
•1/8 Turn Easy Access Attached Sideplate
•Metal Cast Control Knob
•Anodized Spool and Handle
•Disengaging Levelwind System
•Quickfire II Clutch Bar

For starters, the new Curado G is not built in Japan. As you can see, it also has less bearings than the E series and they are a lower quality bearing. Gone also is the aluminum drag star. You may remember that the E 50 came out with a plastic drag star and that was the biggest complaint on that reel as it was not the same star as the full size version had.

The Citica E also lost a few features in the new version. The differences are less but basically, the new citica is an aluminum framed Caenen with super free pinion. It's probably the closest to staying with the same features, but different fram and made in malaysia.

I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with any of these new reels, just that they are downgrades from thier previous version. I believe that the easiest way to describe what shimano did with these reels would be to liken it to Chevy putting Corvette emblems on a Camaro and Camaro emblems on a Chevette. It's nothing but trickery with names.

Last edited by pro reel; 07-20-11 at 01:25 PM.
Old 07-20-11, 12:34 PM   #20
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Shame shame. I love my old ones but don't think I won't cut the ties if I get a piece of crap in my hand. I am looking hard at the Okuma Helio. I will be making up my mind after a solid trip with the Serrano.
Old 07-20-11, 01:34 PM   #21
Z-Man
BassFishin.Com Member

I just got back from picking up my revo winch. I needed a new reel for my cranking stick and after seeing what was left of the old shimano stock and what was coming out I was not impressed. Im not a shimano fan boy, but do like my curado's for what they are used for. They do well and I got them at a good price. However, I think any reels purchased from here on out will be abu garcia.
Old 07-20-11, 05:24 PM   #22
Tavery5

Quote:
For starters, the new Curado G is not built in Japan. As you can see, it also has less bearings than the E series and they are a lower quality bearing. Gone also is the aluminum drag star.
Kevin, unlike some I have never found that in the lower end reels that being made in Japan has offered any real advantage over mfg in any other country, I will say that at the uppper end of the reels there is an appreciable difference. As far as bearings go, is this just speculation that the bearings will be of lower quality because of the reel now being built outside Japan, or do you have a source with better info. As far as a plastic dragstar, I will admit that it is a little disappointing, but when was the last time you broke a spoke off of a dragstar? The double anodized spool and handle seem like a fair trade off in value to me for switching to a plastic dragstar. Less bearings yes, but more than likely they will just be handle bearings and you and I both know while it does feel better in your hands and seem a little more refined, it does nothing for performance.

I like Shimano reels, but I am def. not a die hard user of their product, I just think that allot of people are reacting to the dissaproval of the Shiimano enthuisast crowd, and if handed the reels to fish, many would never even notice the difference.
Old 07-20-11, 06:15 PM   #23
Jrob78

In my opinion Shimano's biggest mistake was in marketing. Had they just changed the way they named the reels, we would all be ok with what they did.

They should have called the Citica G the Caenan, the Curado G the Citica and the Chronarch E the Curado and dropped the Chronarch line all together. They should have also given the reels colors that would have reflected that. Think about it, we would think that all these reels had gotten upgrades, albeit small for the Curado, and slight price increases. Look at the specs on the Curado G and think about if it were called the Citica G, we would probably be ok with that. While nobody wants a price increase, compared to what Daiwa did, it wouldn't seem so bad. Things are getting more expensive, not cheaper, it's just the way things go.

I for one, am definitely interested the Chronarch 50E, I realize that it isn't anything more than a slightly upgraded Curado 50E but at Ebay pricing, will still be a great reel. I just feel like Shimano could have spun this a little differently and avoided a lot of the negative response they've gotten.
Old 07-20-11, 06:40 PM   #24
BigBassin144

I agree Joe, I think it was all in how they presented it.

Even if they made the current Curado G a whole new reel with a different name, I bet it would have been a hit.

I was honestly surprised to hear about low sales of the Curado E series. I had always thought of it as one of the better selling reels in it's price range. Maybe they over exaggerated a little? If sales were down on the Curado, then I don't think the price increase would have helped anything, even with the "improvements."

I don't think the Chronarch G will be the big seller Shimano is hoping it will be, although it could always attract those who aren't familiar with this level of reels to it with the name. Time will tell. At least Shimano is trying to appeal to those of us buying middle-class reels while Daiwa is appealing to the Enthusiasts...

I was personally disappointed to see the "Aluminum Core" turned into the "New Curado."

BB
Old 07-20-11, 08:34 PM   #25
pro reel

The Chronarch D had all ARB treated bearings. The Curado E had some ARB treated bearings. The Chronarch E will now have 2 ARB bearings with the rest being the stock SS of lower level shimano reels. The Curado G will not have any ARB bearings. The Chronarch D has the frame stabilized bearing / break hub that makes it a Chronarch. The Chronarch G doesn't have that. I don't know if the made in Japan or Malaysia thing makes any difference or not. What I do know is that Shimano has already switched a lot of the lower level spinning reels to Malasia and a lot of people have stated that they don't think their reels are built as well as they used to be. A guide on another site that has a lot of reels posted about some problems he had with a lot of new reels. None of the problems were serious, but it was things like screws backing out, parts getting loose etc. etc. A person I know that works the reel counter at BPS Alabama store told me that shimano returns went way up over the last few years for these same problems with the lower levl reels that were not made in Japan. Is that fact? I don't know. What I do know is the made in Japan made a lot of difference to the majority of shimano enthusiasts. As for the plastic drag star. The Citica E has one. I replaced several this year for customers who had one or more tabs gone. I also worked on dozens more that the customer said he didn't want to pay to replace a broken one yet as it was only missing one tab and didn't affect the reel, just the looks. Again, proper care will prevent that, but they are not the bullet proof reels that some tout them to be, at least not anymore. I will state again though. I'm not bashing the reels, they will probably all be fine reels, I just don't like how they did the name thing. It was done to increase sales of a reel by asociating it to a name with a higher performance expectation. Folks from sites like this will know that if they buy the Chronarch G that they are getting a silver Curado E. Most will not understand that at all and will be happy to finally be able to afford the Chronarch when the Curado was the top reel they could afford before, but they are still getting a curado.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.