Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-08, 10:13 PM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Rusty Terminal Tackle

Definately not a good thing. when using a lure or such, I always try to let it dry before putting it away (on the boat anyways), but not so much with terminal tackle. I noticed as I was switching to a smaller hook the other day, that I've got a couple gamakatsu hooks that are starting to rust in my Falcon terminal tackle box. I know there are things you can do to prevent this, I just don't know what they are. Any ideas or suggestions?

The other thing I wanted to know was what to do with the rusted hooks. I only saw a couple and there was not a lot of rust. Keep them and maybe clean them up with a bit of steel wool, or get rid of them?

Thanks guys,

BB
Old 07-08-08, 10:21 PM   #2
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

they make all sorts of moisture absorbers , any of those would work . if you have trouble finding something small enough get some speedy dry or the equivalent and put it in a advil bottle with holes poked in it . two or three of those throughout your box should handle it. and throw those away rust is a funny thing , it is the metal actually breaking down so if you clean it off with out filling the little holes left by it they will rust again .
Old 07-08-08, 10:21 PM   #3
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

THROW OUT!

Cleaning/sharpening/scrubbing them takes the chemical agent off them that keeps them sealed. If you rub this off, the hooks rust again and lose strength. Buy new ones; it's worth it in the long run.

In terms of tips, try keeping toothpicks in with your terminal tackle. I do this and haven't had any hook rust on me. Change them out every month or so.

Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-08, 10:29 PM   #4
BigBassin144

I need to find something equivalent to putting a couple piecces of bread in hard cookies to make them soft. Although I think that is just the opposite effect of taking moisture out... so unless you want soft cookies, forget what I just said.

What do you think about those little "do not eat" packets that come in just about EVERYTHING. That's what they're for, correct? Dehumidifying stuffs. Now tha I want some, I won't be able to find any though. Anyone ever use the Flambeau Zrust thingies? They work?

Thanks guys,

BB
Old 07-08-08, 10:50 PM   #5
Fishbear
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
What do you think about those little "do not eat" packets that come in just about EVERYTHING. That's what they're for, correct? Dehumidifying stuffs. Now tha I want some, I won't be able to find any though.

Thanks guys,

BB
I have several hundred I got from work,, keep them in a ziplock, put 3 or 4 in my tackle boxes every month. They work GREAT!
Old 07-08-08, 10:56 PM   #6
Jim80

next time you buy a pair of shoes keep the packets
Old 07-08-08, 11:03 PM   #7
BigBassin144

I just bought shoes a month or so ago.... Oh well, I'm sure I'll be able to get some. I'll go to BPS and take all of them out of the pockets of hteir fishing shirts. I'm sure the people buying them wouldn't mind.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.